VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I haven't tried Media Player Classic Home Cinema before, but I downloaded a latest version, and I get this weird problem with 6 channel AAC audio tracks. First of all, I have only stereo audio system. My problem with MPC HC: whenever an MKV file has more than one 6-channel AAC audio track, it plays the first track fine (I suppose, it downmixes it to stereo by default), but when I select the second or third 6-channel AAC track, it seems to me as if doesn't downmix to stereo (or does not do it properly), and since my audio system is stereo, that results in a weird sound. The same thing happens if I use an external 6 channel AAC track. I'm pretty sure it has got to do something with downmixing, because 2 channel AAC audio seems fine.
    AC3, on the other hand, seems to be downmixed properly. I am using default MPC HC settings, and I don't have any codec packs (or even separate codecs) installed.

I have been using GOM Player all the time and I never got anything like that - all audio tracks downmixed to stereo properly.

What should I do to solve this problem? Please keep in mind that the first 6 channel AAC audio track in a video plays properly - it's only an external or other internal AAC tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using latest beta?

But it could be a bug, report it over at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mpc-hc/report/9 then.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Are you using latest beta?

But it could be a bug, report it over at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mpc-hc/report/9 then.
    It's a v1.6.0.4014 - 30 January 2012. Is it beta?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, it's latest official release.

You could try latest beta from https://www.videohelp.com/download/mplayerc_homecinema_v1.6.1.4079beta.zip or http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64 . Portable versions so installation is not required.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MKVs with multiple 6 channel AAC tracks are pretty rare in most of the world. It would not surprise me if this is a bug because no one thought to test it. I'm guessing that these are Chinese or Hong Kong videos.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    You really should give a try to some external decoders and splitters (Haali, LAV Filters, AV Splitter, ffdshow). Even the *standalone MPC-HC filters* are generally better than its internal filters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    MKVs with multiple 6 channel AAC tracks are pretty rare in most of the world. It would not surprise me if this is a bug because no one thought to test it. I'm guessing that these are Chinese or Hong Kong videos.
    Lots of MKVs with multiple 6 channel AACs on Russian torrent sites. Plus I myself add some tracks to MKVs I download - different languages. It's to me as natural as having several tracks on a DVD...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for answering. I find it bizarre and almost unbelievable that Russian torrent sites are set up this way. I can speak Russian at a good level and I've spent time in the ex-USSR and I know that most Russian speakers don't bother to learn other languages to any degree of usefulness, so I'm not sure why there is some weird desire to create MKV files with multiple language tracks on them. I'm also puzzled as to why some people go out of their way to convert audio to AAC instead of just leaving it alone, but that's another question. I can count on hone hand the number of files I've pulled off Russian torrent sites so I'll take your word for it. I still think it's worth seeing if this is an untested bug. Just because you get stuff from Russian sites doesn't mean that the MPC HC authors have bothered to test files like this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tufffta View Post
    I am using default MPC HC settings, and I don't have any codec packs (or even separate codecs) installed.
    IMHO that's a big mistake ( i.e., to depend entirely on the internal filters of Media Player Classic, I am not telling you to use a "codec pack" ).

The MKV splitter created by Gabest (and still being improved by other people) is well-known for its limitations.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't had such problems with mpc-hc, but then I only use it for DVD playback.

Frankly, if I have to use separate 3rd party codec packs etc. to make something work, I'm just going to try another program. One that uses its own internal codecs, works with directx/directshow and/or the .NET framework, and can pass control back to Windows without conflicting with anything else. This is damn well quite possible.

Like VLC or SMPlayer. I prefer the latter but I have both.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Just because you get stuff from Russian sites doesn't mean that the MPC HC authors have bothered to test files like this.
    But here's the thing: why do you think that Russian-made MKV files should be different from the rest of the world? They are created using "international" tools that are downloaded from the same sources that the whole word uses. It's digital - there is no difference between a DVD ripped in Russia and the same DVD ripped in the USA, if it's the same DVD and the same tools and settings used.

An other thing is that I download an MP4 file from thepiratebay, ripped by someone from the "West" (probably, USA), demultiplex, so I get a raw h264 stream and a raw AAC stream, then I multiplex those streams into MKV, add some more audio tracks, and I get a multitrack MKV file. It's "made" in my country, but using American tools and streams made by the Western people.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Thanks for answering. I find it bizarre and almost unbelievable that Russian torrent sites are set up this way.
    It's not the torrent sites, it's the people that are making those uploads. Most uploads have only one track, a Russian one. Apparently, people like to have an original audio track as well as translated audio, plus there are things like commentary tracks...
    Quote Quote  
  12. I haven't yet tried other versions of MPC HC, but I will.

Now, you suggested me to use external filters... I have some questions:
    1) do those external filters load a computer more than the internal ones?
    2) are the external filters loaded only when the program requests them, or are they always loaded into memory at Windows startup?
    3) what filters would you suggest for video (x264) and audio (AC3 and AAC)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just because you get stuff from Russian sites doesn't mean that the MPC HC authors have bothered to test files like this.
    But here's the thing: why do you think that Russian-made MKV files should be different from the rest of the world?
    You are COMPLETELY missing my point. By a lot. My point is NOT that "Russian made MKV" files are special. It is that "multiple AAC audio MKV" files are special.

Here's an example. If you don't understand this then there is no hope for you. Suppose for sake of argument that you have an MKV file with TEN, yes, TEN different language audio tracks on it. You play it and it turns out that when you switch to the 10th track, something crazy happens. Now realistically, do you really and truly expect MPC HC's authors to test a 10 language track audio MKV? If so, then where do you stop? 11 tracks? 15? 20? More?

But to be honest, I feel somewhat mislead by your original post. It's my fault though. I just assumed like any normal person would that if you had "multiple audio tracks" that you were talking about maybe 3 or more since you didn't say "two audio tracks" but to you "two audio tracks" = "multiple audio tracks". You are right, but I don't get why you just didn't say "two" instead of being all obscure about it. I just assumed by "multiple" that you meant 3 or more. So since it seems that you only mean two and for some reason were unwilling to actually say "two", honestly, I can't give you a good reason why that wouldn't be tested. But if you had described your situation accurately instead of being vague and leaving people like me to guess what you meant, you'd have been better off.

I still do not get at all why so many people are hell bent on converting audio to AAC. Really do not get that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, since you only meant two tracks, I do understand why the Russians would include two in their MKV torrents. This is less common than it used to be, but in the past the Russian track was often a "dub over" track where one guy or a handful of people would speak the dialogue in Russian on top of the original language soundtrack. Such soundtracks are just awful to listen to but as this was the standard way the Soviet Union treated foreign films and even today some films still get dubbed this way, some people like it, Others prefer the original language and subtitles. We get posts every year from some new person who has gotten a copy of one of those "dub over" tracks and they want to remove Russian to get back the original language (usually English) soundtrack and we have to tell them that it can't be done.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You are COMPLETELY missing my point. By a lot. My point is NOT that "Russian made MKV" files are special. It is that "multiple AAC audio MKV" files are special.

Here's an example. If you don't understand this then there is no hope for you. Suppose for sake of argument that you have an MKV file with TEN, yes, TEN different language audio tracks on it. You play it and it turns out that when you switch to the 10th track, something crazy happens. Now realistically, do you really and truly expect MPC HC's authors to test a 10 language track audio MKV? If so, then where do you stop? 11 tracks? 15? 20? More?

But to be honest, I feel somewhat mislead by your original post. It's my fault though. I just assumed like any normal person would that if you had "multiple audio tracks" that you were talking about maybe 3 or more since you didn't say "two audio tracks" but to you "two audio tracks" = "multiple audio tracks". You are right, but I don't get why you just didn't say "two" instead of being all obscure about it. I just assumed by "multiple" that you meant 3 or more. So since it seems that you only mean two and for some reason were unwilling to actually say "two", honestly, I can't give you a good reason why that wouldn't be tested. But if you had described your situation accurately instead of being vague and leaving people like me to guess what you meant, you'd have been better off.

Okay, I understand you now, but it's irrelevant whether it's two or ten tracks, because in this case it works bad with two to OR more track.

I still do not get at all why so many people are hell bent on converting audio to AAC. Really do not get that.
    I don't know, but maybe it's for compatibility with xbox, ps and all those things that play mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

Now, you suggested me to use external filters... I have some questions:
    1) do those external filters load a computer more than the internal ones?
    No.

2) are the external filters loaded only when the program requests them, or are they always loaded into memory at Windows startup?
    DirectShow filters are called, loaded and executed only when an application requires them. BTW, even the developers of MPC-HC have admitted that the player would work better without any built-in filters at all, the only problem is, nobody feels like doing a MAJOR rewrite of the spaghetti source-code without receiving a very-good "incentive" (read: $$$$$)

3) what filters would you suggest for video (x264) and audio (AC3 and AAC)?
    I use the DivX H264 decoder and LAV Audio; but for recently-released animés which use 10-bit compression, you should use ffdshow, LAV Video, CoreAVC, whatever.
    As for MKVs, AV Splitter is better than LAV Splitter on my slow and outdated machine, YMMV of course; many people still prefer Haali Media Splitter though.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 29th Feb 2012 at 15:04. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    BTW, even the developers of MPC-HC have admitted that the player would work better without any built-in filters at all, the only problem is, nobody feels like doing a MAJOR rewrite of the spaghetti source-code without receiving a very-good "incentive" (read: $$$$$)
    Would a Media Player Classic be better with external filters than MPC HC?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    but I don't get why you just didn't say "two" instead of being all obscure about it. I just assumed by "multiple" that you meant 3 or more. So since it seems that you only mean two and for some reason were unwilling to actually say "two", honestly, I can't give you a good reason why that wouldn't be tested. But if you had described your situation accurately instead of being vague and leaving people like me to guess what you meant, you'd have been better off.
    jman98, you these lines were in my first post:
    ...whenever an MKV file has more than one 6-channel AAC audio track...
    ...when I select the second or third 6-channel AAC track
    Quote Quote  
  19. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Would a Media Player Classic be better with external filters than MPC HC?
    I think it depends a lot on many factors, including drivers and the operating systems
    For example, I saw no notable difference between MPC and MPC-HC, while I used XP Home Edition. But when I switched to XP Pro, Media Player Classic started to have issues with some DTS streams and LAV Audio --- which made me replace MPC with PotPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I've tried the latest beta version, and it's the same. I also tried 1.5.2.3456.x86 version, and it works well with internal tracks, but when I open an external 6-channel AAC track, it does not play at all.
    Quote Quote