VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I wonder which software is the latest common one for hollywood companies.
    I heard about mostly Scenarist for this. and Dvd Lab Pro 2?.. Do you know any alternative?

I am trying to learn making a motion dvd menu with dvd lab pro2? I downloaded a free trial of dvd lab and I probably buy the full version.
    do you think if I can make a full featured motion menu with dvd lab pro2?

I will probably replicate 1000 dvd of our movie. Could you give me any advise for this? Which dvd brand should I burn for the master dvd etc..?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by adventurer9 View Post
    do you think if I can make a full featured motion menu with dvd lab pro2?
    I think so. You have to make your menu ready outside of DVDLabPro , you make video m2v with buttons in it already, AC3 too. Import subpicture in DVD Lab Pro, max three colors (blue,red,black and white background), you draw highlights around button, set links-invisible normal, set color schemes in map-color map.

Only this way you get menu out on DVD with the original quality. If you start to draw buttons on menu background it will be reencoded and messed up.
    You can set cells within menu and then jump after intro on cell2 . Very nice program.

But I had never made a DVD for DVD replication so... If it will not work on some DVD Player don't blame DVDLabPro I guess necessarily, there is players out there that have their oddities. Perhaps people who do authoring knows about particular problems with certain brands and keep some rules while authoring .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the advice re optical drives is good ... as far as I can tell pro video programs assume the input video conforms to certain standards (ie. don't expect to be able to use warez files). They may very well expect something that conforms to a particular standard on the other end.
    Quote Quote  
  4. do you know any more information about this standards? which points I should be more sensitive about?

and I understand your opinion is on the way that dvd lab pro is not for this business? but for scenarist sd, I could not find any guide...
    and there is not even any trial of the program which I can try to use before paying 5000usd..

I found Sonic Scenarist SD 3.2.1 Portable on google, but I dont know if that is smaller version of it or totally different software?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adventurer9 View Post
    I will probably replicate 1000 dvd of our movie. Could you give me any advise for this? Which dvd brand should I burn for the master dvd etc..?
    Do you intend to replicate these yourself ? If you are then the brand of 'master' does not matter since you do not need one. You would create an ISO image on your HDD and replicate from that image.

If you are not going to replicate yourself then you need to ask the replication plant what they expect. In the past, replication units would only accept DLT (Digital Linear Tape) and only a few authoring programs can write to that. These days I believe they will accept dvd-r/dvd+r etc. But, again, I do not expect them to directly copy disk-2-disk.

DVDLab Pro is NOT, despite it's claims a Pro product. It is a very good prosumer product. 'Pro' doe not mean fancy motion menus and the ilk. It means 'quality'. I have seen pro-produced dvds which are so badly authored - incorrect menu linking etc. - that begs disbelief

You are not going to find many guides for scenarist. I doubt if anyone on here has ever used it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by adventurer9 View Post
    DVDLab Pro is NOT, despite it's claims a Pro product. It is a very good prosumer product. 'Pro' doe not mean fancy motion menus and the ilk. It means 'quality'. I have seen pro-produced dvds which are so badly authored - incorrect menu linking etc. - that begs disbelief

You are not going to find many guides for scenarist. I doubt if anyone on here has ever used it.
    I drew a rough description how to do motion menu. Badly authored ? Of course you need to know what you are doing and maybe tune it up with Pgcedit regardless VM commands. If you click there , everywhere chaotically and wait that program will make it work you might end up with weird stuff, navigation. Not to use abstract layer that program offers is a plus . You can link PGC's manually as a matter of fact with the same knowledge you have to have for Scenarist. Or use PGCEdit to nail it, or debug it ...

Scenarist needs that knowledge in the first place. It will not author DVD for you if you do not know what you suppose to know.
    Last edited by _Al_; 27th Feb 2012 at 13:16. Reason: grammar as usually ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I have.

I haven't looked in a long time, but years ago I learned to use it because there was a real dearth of tools available for creating your own DVDs and Scenarist was able to do some things that other programs like DVD Maestro could not do. I did a lot of searching and found enough information to get me going. I can't make menus with it, but I understand how it works to do simple DVDs with chapters but no menus. It's very non-intuitive in my opinion and if you buy it, it comes with real documentation that should explain how to use it. But the learning curve is so steep that there are actually commercial classes available in how to use it because they figure that some people will never really get very far with the docs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok. Firstly thank you for your thoughts. I understand when we talk about replication, many software becomes eliminated from the list..
    I certainly looking for a software to make a replicating dvd master..

and I checked more on web.
    1- I see that dvd lab pro will be not a good choice to make the authoring for replicating dvd master..
    2- Scenarist industrial standard on this business. But I still want to find a easier tool for this work.

what is the best alternative?

encore?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I work for one of the major studios and we use Scenarist and the Panasonic systems on a daily basis. DVDLab is fine for what you want to do. Authoring tools dont create the look......this is done in the graphic design stage. This is done with Photshop and After Effects, not the authoring tool. I know several titles done with it and DDPs made from images out of Gear pass Eclipse testing.

Even though its Mac, DVDSP is, by far, the most used authoring tool used behind Scenarist... followed by Encore.

Forget Scenarist. Its only used well by a handful of people who use it day in and day out. Its will take you awhile to know the rules of authoring and how it all come togethers in the tool itself....not to mention the $5K Plus required support package you need to get it at that price point.

DVDLab, Encore or DVDSP would be my choices.
    Last edited by videopoo; 28th Feb 2012 at 16:50.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you for the thoughts again.

Actually my needs not that much. a motion menu as backround, multiple languages, subtitles and some extras...
    I decided to work on Encore. there are many guides on web to use it. Lets see how it goes with..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDLab is no longer in development...sadly.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote