VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The software title Video Redo has a function in it that seems unique, that it can edit out commercials from videos. Has anyone successfully used the software and done this? Was there anything else required when removing them? Is it pretty straight forward, or is there a trick to it, where you perhaps have to configure the software a certain way for it to detect the commercials in order to remove them? Also, is there any other software title that does the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One method is ... it detects the portion of Black between the TV show and the commercial ... but sometimes the Black portion is not there. Or is not there long enuff to be detected accurately.

I use my own eyes to see where to cut out the commercials ... I dont use it ... I do my own cut and remove ... sometimes I see a commercial I want to keep.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    The software title Video Redo has a function in it that seems unique, that it can edit out commercials from videos. Has anyone successfully used the software and done this? Was there anything else required when removing them? Is it pretty straight forward, or is there a trick to it, where you perhaps have to configure the software a certain way for it to detect the commercials in order to remove them? Also, is there any other software title that does the same thing?
    I haven't tried VideoReDo's commercial removal feature. I don't trust automated commercial detection and removal to do a proper job, so I do it myself. There is other software that removes commercials. MC-TVConverter and MCEBuddy have the feature too, although I have not tried it. I did try Comskip at one point, but didn't like it.

Due to its superior ability to handle errors in video and audio streams, VideoReDo is the only editor I would recommend for editing TV captures from a TV card, or TS files captured from a DVR via firewire.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Womble also has the same feature called blank fades or scene detection - it has the added feature of being able to configure the audio detection. At the end of the day it is probably quicker to do it manually. Personally I use ProjectX to remove commercials from off air digital tv so that subtitles remain in sync.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use VRD. Commercial detection is about 60%. I love the program but don't trust it to take them all out. Prefer to do it by hand.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, all! I was thinking that the program can't possibly remove all of the commercials, because like Lacywest said, it detects the black portion between the video content and the commercial, and sometimes it's just not long enough to detect, or there is some other problem of the software detecting it. I'll just use Movie Factory to remove the commercials manually. It will take longer, but they will for sure be removed.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I agree that Video Redo is a great editor but I also choose to edit commercials out manually. AVIDemux also has 'black fade' detection & you could try it if you need a semi-automatic feature. It'll take you to the next black portion & allow you to step forwards/backwards from that point to get the actual edit points you prefer.
    Quote Quote