VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I'd love to have is S-video and analog audio *outputs* on my 2009 Vizio 37" LDC TV. Whatever magic happens inside that box makes my old VHS tapes (played on a Toshiba DVD/VHS combo with Divx/Xvid from disc playback) and any DVD look excellent.

I didn't buy a new 2010 37" Vizio for Christmas 2010 because unlike the 2009 model the 2010 only had two HDMI vs three and no S-Video in, but it could display JPEG images from a USB stick. Wheeee.

The TV appears to have its own upscaling and who knows what else for the composite and component inputs, probably on the S-video input too. The VCR side of the Toshiba is hooked up to composite while the DVD side is hooked up via component.

My AG1980 is connected to one of my PCs. I should hook it to the Vizio's S-Video in to see what it can do.

I also have a LG BD611 Blu-Ray which does its own DVD upscaling, connected by HDMI. I can't see much if any difference between a DVD played on it and on the Toshiba.

The 1080i Magnavox the 1080p Vizio replaced was quite crap with VHS and DVDs didn't look much better. I didn't have the Blu-Ray to try with the Magnavox. (The Magnavox didn't actually support 1080i very well. Wouldn't synch to it from my DirecTV box and was jittery like mad and overscanned from my HTPC.)

Is there a HDTV with upscaling/filtering/etc on analog inputs which also has analog outputs, and applies its "magic" to signals just passing through?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
    Is there a HDTV with upscaling/filtering/etc on analog inputs which also has analog outputs, and applies its "magic" to signals just passing through?
    Probably not. The last thing Hollywood wants is for you to be able to record any HD picture. Even if it's upscaled from VHS or DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My tv has an output, but it's only for the digital tuner, and it's SD.
    Quote Quote