VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hihi, jumped on the forum bandwagon just so I could ask this question.

I've been searching all over the internet trying to figure out why my Hauppauge Colossus is capturing in black and white. I've tried every fix I could find, from downloading AMcap (which doesn't display anything for me, just a black screen) to messing with every video filter settings on ArcSoft, beginning with the default NTSC-M all the way to SEACAM, and it still give me a black and white display. I'm at a loss, as I was just about ready to record a playthough of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and everything was set up fine except for the darn display. Am I missing someting here? Why can't I get color display? I'm using the component cables that came with the HC. Should I shift to something else, like S-video or HDMI? Please and thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Could you have hooked up the video cables incorrectly (ie. not connected red to red, etc.)? Can you test another source? I don't play games, but I've used mine to record TV, laserdiscs and VHS tapes and they all turned out in color if the original video was in color. SECAM is completely wrong for the USA. So is PAL. If you can't record anything else in color, maybe the card is defective.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Be sure the console is set to output component, not s-video or composite.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Could you have hooked up the video cables incorrectly (ie. not connected red to red, etc.)? Can you test another source?
    I don't think I have, last I checked all colors matched except that which is needed for video, yellow to green. I can try messing around some more with them, though.

Be sure the console is set to output component, not s-video or composite.
    It's definitely on component, as any other output wouldn't even get me a picture. This I have double, triple-checked as well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by artisticnstuff View Post
    Could you have hooked up the video cables incorrectly (ie. not connected red to red, etc.)? Can you test another source?
    I don't think I have, last I checked all colors matched except that which is needed for video, yellow to green. I can try messing around some more with them, though.
    I think you have the wrong cables. Component video requires 3 cables just for the video. They are usually colored red, green, and blue (although they aren't carrying red, green, and blue signals). Then you usually have two audio cables which are usually red and white (unless you are using digital audio). So you normally have five cables. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Component-Video-Cable-Audio/dp/B001ID829O/

If you are only connecting the green output of the source device to the green input of the receiving device you will get a greyscale image. Exactly what you mentioned in your first post. The green cable carries a greyscale image, the other two cables carry the color components.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Feb 2012 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To add to what jagabo said, game consoles usually come with just a composite video cable, which have red, white and yellow RCA connectors. If that is what you are using, you need to set up the game system to output composite video, and set up the Colossus capture software to capture composite video, as well as use the blue connector on the Colossus's breakout cables for composite video. Composite video is standard definition only, so don't expect high-definition captures. One thing to be aware of, according to the manual, the video pass-through connection for a TV does not work if you use composite video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I do have component cables with the colossus, and composite with the Wii, but there is a chance that I didn't connect them properly. I'll test that now. If that ends up being the case, feel free to brand me a big no00b moron, lol. All right testing now, thank guys for the help so far!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Aand tha was the problem, I feel SO MUCH BETTER NOW, and much more informed!

Thanks agai, guys. Let my lack of knowledge be an example fo others who may have this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hope you realize that they also sell a component breakout cable for the Wii that you can connect to your Collosus to capture from component. Your captured video will be much better. In Canada Walmart has them for around $30 but I bought a multi-console component cable that can be used with the Wii, PS3 or XBox360 from a local shop (Factorydirect) for $15.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm, I'll consider it. I already have an upscaler I'm gonna use for the Wii, any video quality upgrades are welcome.
    Quote Quote