VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

i am looking for a tool able to convert some ts files to mp4.

These ts files contain a H264 (mpeg4 avc) video stream and a AAC sound track

Only the ts container shall be converted to mp4, not the video nor audio stream which shall stay untouched.

I tried many tools but all of them encode the video and audio stream.

avidemux should be able to do the job since there is an option "copy" for both video and audio but unfortunately it always crashs.

Thanks
    joel
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you can try demux the audio and video tracks with tsmuxer and remux with mymp4boxgui or yamb to a mp4.
    Or
    ffmpeg -i video.ts -acodec copy -vcodec copy new.mp4

But you migh get sync issues..ts h264 conversions/remuxing isn't that simple.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joel5632 View Post
    Hi,

i am looking for a tool able to convert some ts files to mp4.

Only the ts container shall be converted to mp4, not the video nor audio stream which shall stay untouched.
    Hi
    Use FFmpeg like this:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i foo.ts -c copy foo.mp4
    Or use WinFF with (my) "Pass Thru mp4" preset.
    Information here ---> https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343895-Pass-Thru-presets-for-WinFF
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    thx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HandBrake reads TS files no problem, can output to MKV or MP4.

I use the CLI to encode to the desired codecs and container. Works a charm.

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MkvToMp4 can repack ts to mp4 without converting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have found that handbrakecli and the latest FFMPEG can reliably read MTS & TS files, and encode from that. I can also repack audio and video into an MKV with codec copy & FFMPEG if so desired. The problem I had prior was OLDER versions of both.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  8. I need the same thing. What conversion tool can convert ts to mp4 and make it compatible with Sony Vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Vegas should load TS file, it is more like what is inside of that TS container, post mediainfo of that TS file, maybe someone will have an idea whats wrong ...

before anything I'd just tried to load your TS file into TsMuxer and mux it again, or better demux it first and then mux streams again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joel5632 View Post
    ...i am looking for a tool able to convert some ts files to mp4.
    Only the ts container shall be converted to mp4, not the video nor audio stream which shall stay untouched...
    Try vlc. Media>convert/save... Have used it to convert to and from certain containers; original audio and video streams remain untouched.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Vegas should load TS file, it is more like what is inside of that TS container, post mediainfo of that TS file, maybe someone will have an idea whats wrong ...

before anything I'd just tried to load your TS file into TsMuxer and mux it again, or better demux it first and then mux streams again
    I can create a mediainfo file if someone is interested. I'm using .ts files I have created using Hauppauge Capture with a HD PVR 2. I tried TsMuxer, it didn't work for me. I also tried saving a file with VLC, didn't work for me either.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I want (even my player plays ts file nicely - but for others) convert a ts stream file into mp4 file w/o reencoding it. It was downloaded from there:
    http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/10408111009-cesky-zurnal/214562262600003-matrix-ab/
    By using YTD 1.52: http://www.pepak.net/ytd/youtube-downloader/

The resulting file is 2G big (2 078 509 200 bytes) and I would like to create a mp4 file from it, so I can be replayed easily by others (uploading to YouTube seems to work).

Now at first, I tried the FFMpeg ways mentioned there:
    ffmpeg -i x.ts -c copy x.mp4
    ffmpeg -i x.ts -acodec copy -vcodec copy x.mp4

Both failed with this:

Code:
    encoder         : Lavf57.2.100
        Stream #0:0: Video: h264 ([33][0][0][0] / 0x0021), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:
    1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
        Stream #0:1(ces): Audio: aac ([64][0][0][0] / 0x0040), 44100 Hz, stereo, 118
     kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
      Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
    Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
    [mp4 @ 03c82a00] Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use the audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option with ffmpeg)
    av_interleaved_write_frame(): Operation not permitted
    [mp4 @ 03c82a00] Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use the audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option with ffmpeg)
    frame=    3 fps=0.0 q=-1.0 Lsize=     170kB time=00:00:00.25 bitrate=5467.6kbits /s
    video:170kB audio:4kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: unknown
    Conversion failed!
    So then I turned my attention to the tsMuxeR tool. It open the file rather nicely, BUT it let me choose only these outputs:
    TS muxing (is not that the original?!)
    M2TS muxing (not mp4, useless for me)
    Blue-ray ISO (not mp4, useless)
    Blue-ray folder (even more useless)
    AVCHD folder (now come on...)
    Demux (uhm...)

...and that it is. How can I get a mp4 from this is beyond me... but maybe I do something wrong?

Next step was Virtual Dub external encoder. I never tried it before, but looks like that it is kinda easy to do, when using someone vdprof files and external encoders. Used guides there:
    https://encodingtalk.com/threads/virtualdub-save-direct-to-mp4-fraps-to-youtube-with-e...encoders.2446/
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171141
    ...and got it to work, but it says that I cannot use direct stream copy, witch was what I tried from the beginning:

Reencoding does work, tough.

Suggestions welcome.
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And what happens if you do as ffmpeg suggests?

Code:
    ffmpeg -i x.ts -c:a copy -c:v copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc x.mp4
    I'm the developer behind FFQueue. My posts might reflect this! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    So then I turned my attention to the tsMuxeR tool. .
    Demux (uhm...)
    How can I get a mp4 from this is beyond me
    You can demux it in that tsMuxer and then mux those streams (video and audio) into mp4 using mp4boxgui
    Quote Quote  
  15. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TorBru -
    And what happens if you do as ffmpeg suggests?

Code:
    ffmpeg -i x.ts -c:a copy -c:v copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc x.mp4
    Hooooooray! That works! Thank you VERY much!

Code:
    Input #0, mpegts, from 'x.ts':
      Duration: 01:13:15.40, start: 2.040000, bitrate: 3783 kb/s
      Program 1
        Stream #0:0[0x3e9]: Video: h264 (Main) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p, 12
    80x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
        Stream #0:1[0x3ea](ces): Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 44100 Hz,
     stereo, fltp, 118 kb/s
    [mp4 @ 03e95aa0] Codec for stream 0 does not use global headers but container fo
    rmat requires global headers
    [mp4 @ 03e95aa0] Codec for stream 1 does not use global headers but container fo
    rmat requires global headers
    Output #0, mp4, to 'x.mp4':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : Lavf57.2.100
        Stream #0:0: Video: h264 ([33][0][0][0] / 0x0021), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:
    1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
        Stream #0:1(ces): Audio: aac ([64][0][0][0] / 0x0040), 44100 Hz, stereo, 118
     kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
      Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
    Converted into playable mp4 file. There is a audio offset, but that happen to me many times with mp4 files (probably some decoder related bug, so I fix that by just VirtualDub and passing thru the mp4 file with direct copy of video and encoding the audio to mp3 / lame and that it is. Works! Many thanks!

_Al_ - interesting possibility. Maybe next time...? Thank you!
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Video to video converter is better and more accurate software than the above mentioned examples.
    Quote Quote