VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any problems using a dvd recorder to capture from these providers?
    Are you able to record premium channels like hbo & showtime?
    Problems recording ppv?
    Last edited by pinetop; 24th Feb 2012 at 15:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Once the signal is processed by the receiver I have never had any trouble running DirecTV into a DVD recorder or even capturing the signal via PC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The only problem is that darned logo that shows up in the bottom corner of the movies.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    The only problem is that darned logo that shows up in the bottom corner of the movies.

Are you talking about how showtime has a logo in the lower right hand corner on some channels?
    Or is it a Direct TV logo?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DirecTV doesn't put any logo's in of their own. Just the ones from the pay channels themselves if any.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dish Network on their 211 HD reciever has a one time $40 charge which allows you to add an external USB hard drive tuning it into a DVR with no monthly charge.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Dish Network on their 211 HD reciever has a one time $40 charge which allows you to add an external USB hard drive tuning it into a DVR with no monthly charge.
    Sounds good. Do they prevent you from recording certain content?
    What type of file does the 211 create?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had a problem recording any channel,movie or regular channels. Like any DVR from satelite or cable the files use an uncopyable format,you can only view from the HD attched to the reciever.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IMO the only service provider worse than Comcast in Dish Network. Horrible service, it's mostly not HD, just not worth it at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chef Goldblum View Post
    IMO the only service provider worse than Comcast in Dish Network. Horrible service, it's mostly not HD, just not worth it at all.
    I nominate Time Warner for that honor. Trashy equipment, crappy picture quality and horrible service.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I've never had a problem recording any channel,movie or regular channels. Like any DVR from satelite or cable the files use an uncopyable format,you can only view from the HD attched to the reciever.
    I'm going to guess you have never tried a dvd recorder, vcr, or capture card with Dish.
    Does the Dish receiver have RCA outputs?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chef Goldblum View Post
    Are you sure you have the right satellite? Most of the HD channels are on the 129 degree sat. The basic Dish pan is for 110 and 119 which doesn't have much HD content. Check the listings at Lyngsat to make sure.

You might run into some channels that have a copy once flag (like HBO I'm told) that will not allow you to copy the program from the DVD recorder hard drive to a DVD-+R. Friends used to also get that on some movies on the Encore Westerns channel. The only thing to do in those cases is get a Grex and make your recordings through it or offload your recordings to DVD-RAM if you get one that won't record to DVD-+R.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Chef Goldblum View Post

I have heard good things about Dish and customer service.
    I did notice both Dish and DirectV want to charge you like $7 a month for service plans. Should I buy service protection?
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you live in an area that has frequent lightning storms then the plan might make sense. As they will replace your box if damaged by lightning. But here in my area we seldom get any lightning so it would not make sense for that plan for me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. From here http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2967300&postcount=57
    it looks like Showtime & TMC in that Uplink activity shows DRM Added.

Since I don't have them, no biggie to me.

Originally Posted by pinetop View Post
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Sounds good. Do they prevent you from recording certain content?
    What type of file does the 211 create?
    You have to understand that only turns it into a DVR. Anything on any Dishnetwork External Hard Drive is heavily Encrypted. It is my understanding that the encryption has not been cracked.
    Last edited by TBoneit; 27th Feb 2012 at 18:05.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I pay for the DirecTV service plan. If I need a dish moved, or if something breaks, they will come fix it. Even on the weekends. I have used it 4 times, and it's worth it to me. As far as hearing good things about Dish, I hear the opposite. I don't know many people that have it these days, but the picture quality just isn't that good, they don't have the sports packs, they don't have nearly the number of HD channels as DirecTV, etc.

I know installs can vary, and I am totally involved with all my installs, but I've converted people over to DirecTV just by having them come over and watch for awhile. The quality of the signal is incredible, and the DVR experience is fantastic too. Here's an awesome thing about DirecTV - they will give me $100 for referring a friend, and the friend gets $100 too. This is not hard.

Also, every time my contract expires I go back to them to renegotiate. I get new equipment, upgrades, free channels and lower prices by telling them that I want the same deals that a new customer gets. Never have they refused to do this even though on several occasions I had to talk to three or four people. Right now I pay something like $68 for choice ultimate, and I have 3 HD dvrs with the free NFL ticket deal. The only thing I don't have in there was the whole home DVR because it just didn't seem like I'd really ever use it. Dish Network can't even touch this.
    Quote Quote  
  17. So you are the one. I knew there had to be someone out there that wasn't fuming over how slow the HR series DVRs are, even with the new HD UI.

DirecTv has more sports, Yawn....
    Dishnetwork has more non sports national channels. Plus their HD DVRs never got the slows like the HRxx from DirecTV.

I'm going to grab me two Hoppers as I like their feature set better. Record all 4 Network channels each evening Plus two other channels. Don't even have to set timers for prime time on ABC, CBS, Fox or NBC. They'll just be there for 8 days... Sweet.

The other thing that I don't like that you tout as a feature for DirecTV is their Middle east bazaar haggling mentality.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My DVR's are all plenty fast, and I've never had an issue except with recording time on the older style. New ones offer 100 hours of HD which I've found to be plenty. I chose not to get the whole home DVR, but this feature is more impressive than dish's current offering which only allows 2 tvs to watch per dvr and only one in HD. DirecTV does 15 sets all HD. I've had DirecTV dvrs since 2003 and they were good then, they totally destroyed the crap dish had at the time, and they've maintained the lead.

I think the Hopper DVR (when released) will be interesting. They must have some lucrative deal with the networks to take up 1/2 of the DVR space for their prime time shows. You may or may not have any interest in those shows, and it'll be interesting to see if you can actually delete these great prime time shows or do they automatically get overwritten after the week.

Dish is fond of hyping things out of proportion. The hopper claim is that "It'll record up to six shows!" But only during prime time hours. Other times you will be able to record only 3 shows. And I hope that you don't have three shows that you do want to record during prime time (that aren't on the networks), because you can't do it. I can record any 4 shows anytime, and I will decide what network shows I want. It's not many!

As far as haggling to get a better price, shame on you if you don't. DirecTV is definitely out to make money. When your initial sweet new customer contract expires, and the price goes up, to "normal rates" most chumps just take it and get stuck paying more. You don't have to if you just call up and tell them you don't want to pay that much!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Actually the 4 nets in Prime-time is attractive to me.

1. It means I'll never have to set a timer or look to see what new programs are upcoming.
    2. When I visit a satellite TV forum and see comments on a show I passed on it means I'll be able to watch it since I didn't have to set a timer.

I once in a while have two network shows I want and two others I might want to see. So far With one dual tuner DVR I've been handling that two ways.
    1. Since I have basic cable too I record a local channel to my DVD recorder's hard drive from the HD channel via the Clear QAM tuner. It does record in 720 by 480 but it doesn't look bad and about two seconds into it I've forgot it isn't recorded in HD. That tuner also gives me access to all the local stations sub channels, One reason I bought it.
    2. Other channels like USA or TNT or SciFi I can record later.
    Other times I may one timer running. There just isn't that much content worth watching. Since watched once is it for shows I never run out of room (knock wood). About the only thing I watch more than once is specials and Music videos.

Ok. From what I've read the Hopper will keep the shows 8 days. That means I can get both parts of a two part show, watch part 1 on day 8 then watch part 2. Or I can move them from the reserved portion of the drive into the user portion. Which means I can also archive on a External drive.

That is the big advantage of Dish for me. I can have a EHD for Holiday shows, another for action movies, Another for TV shows etc.
    Since they are tied to the account I can change DVRs and still access my archived content unlike DirecTV where they tie the EHD to the DVR and it replaces the internal drive and if the DVR dies all content is unwatchable.

Both service have pluses and minuses.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hit another channel that doesn't allow at least some stuff to be copied: Turner Classic Movies. Now, I can understand this when the movie is available on DVD or Blu ray but they are doing this on lots of movies with no disc release. Just wonderful!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    Hit another channel that doesn't allow at least some stuff to be copied: Turner Classic Movies. Now, I can understand this when the movie is available on DVD or Blu ray but they are doing this on lots of movies with no disc release. Just wonderful!
    I have recorded TCM movies in recent months with the old "cable box via firewire to PC/Mac" method here using my old Comcast cable box:
    http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/
    and using my new AT&T Uverse setup via my Hauppauge Colossus card (records component video and optical audio from the cable box). This does you no good although the Colossus method might work for you (don't know), but I wanted to mention that there's nothing magical about TCM that prevents non-satellite customers from recording it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hope somebody understand what i try to say , my english not is perfect,

i have directv, and now is pretty hard ''let recording'' , now you need keep your tv on, or recording in computer turns black, before you only need turn on tv, later recording in computer, and turn off tv, for hd movie channels apply, with sd signal you dont need it , but now apply same thing (let on tv or you cant record) its really annoying :S
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, sometime back a few years ago, directv encorporated a screensaver that comes on when there is no user input on the remote control for more than 90 minutes or so. the best you can do is this:

to void the screensaver comming on, just before you set your recording (or capture) press the [exit] key. and, if posible, every hour, press that key. and no, you can't control when it comes on. they are always updating their firmware, which changes or reverts that back to their default value or setup.
    Quote Quote