VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've got a 1080p video that won't play cleanly on my machine, it jumps/skips. 720p videos usually play fine, but this 1080p video is giving me issues. i read that you can decrease the video quality to achieve smoother playback, but i don't see a simple "decrease quality" option anywhere in preferences. can someone point me in the right direction? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are having problems, because your PC is not able to decode and play the video in real time. You will need to re-encode it to a lower resolution and then play it.
    A setting in the player cannot solve the problem afaik.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you computer and display card specs? A new display card may be able to decode the video in hardware.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea i kno my display card isn't top of the line. i kno it's a hardware issue. i just saw this article: http://www.instantfundas.com/2011/11/daum-potplayer-possibly-best-media.html and figured there was an easy fix. it says "Choose video quality. If you are playing an HD video on a low end machine and the video is skipping, you can decrease the video quality to achieve smoother playback." Guess that is BS tho
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Daum potplayer? That looks a little shaky to me. It's actually hosted at sourceforge.

I don't see it working myself. If it's going to decrease the video quality it's going to have to decrease resolution. To decrease the video resolution isn't it going to have to reencode the video in real time? If you're having problems playing it now that's not going to help.

You just may have to reencode the file to 720p.

I don't know what the resource footprint for potplayer is, but another player may work better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    alright well i found the option
    for anyone who might google this in the future:

it's in preferences --> video --> resize --> set condition to: if larger than selected resolution : i set it for 1280x720

then set the specify AR at 1280x720

so if the video is larger than 1280x720 it outputs at 1280x720

idk how it works but it's definitely playing smoother
    Quote Quote