VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, I know this forum is against Piracy and knowing my thread was locked yesterday. As suggested, I could have very well bought a Blu-Ray Disc, but my problem is I dont have a player to play it. So let me elaborate my question a lttle further in a different manner. I would like to have as many Blu-Ray Movies on my iPad-2 (I know iPad does not play 1080p but I can convert it using Handbrake to a iPad-2 compatible Format, still maintaining the Blu-Ray Quality.. Now I dont have a Blu-Ray player at home to play on my TV nor does my Laptop has a Blu-Ray Drive. Normally I Rip DVD from my Laptop using DVD Shrink or DVD region killer.

My question now is if I buy a Blu-Ray Disk of a movie try to put it in my Laptop DVD Drive which is not a Blu Ray player obviously it will not play. But will it process it, so to be able to Rip a copy out of it using any of the above software.

Thanks,

Augustya
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Nope.
    Thats a very short answer to a long question ! is it not possible can my DVD player not recognise the Blu-Ray Disc what will happen if I put a Blu-Ray Disk in my DVD Drive ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It will explode.

edit: Or nothing will happen. It wont see the Blu-ray Disc.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 23rd Feb 2012 at 04:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It will explode.

edit: Or nothing will happen. It wont see the Blu-ray Disc.
    So how do I get a Blu-Ray movie on my devices then ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    Buy a Blu-ray drive. Without it you'll never be able to read a Blu-ray disc in the first place so you won't be able to even begin the process of copying, converting, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    Buy a Blu-ray drive. Without it you'll never be able to read a Blu-ray disc in the first place so you won't be able to even begin the process of copying, converting, etc.
    I was hoping there is a website where I can pay and download a full version of Blu-Ray 1080p with a 5.1 sound directly on my PC !!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    completly different formats, similar to a cd will not play a dvd
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    I was hoping there is a website where I can pay and download a full version of Blu-Ray 1080p with a 5.1 sound directly on my PC !!
    Keep hoping. Even if such a thing were available for a reasonable price, do you really think anyone would permit the download of anything not so DRM infested as to allow you to reencode it and then pass it around to your 'devices'?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Actually there is a service that gives the purchaser of a BluRay disk a "digital copy" for such use on "devices". Look at the sleeve the BluRay comes in for which ones have that included. Some even included a DVD of the movie as well. To expect a download of the movie without some DRM like manono says would probably be expecting way too much for the industry.
    I quote from an insert found with a BluRay disk ( I hope this does not violate any rules)
    "Fxxxxxxx and Uxxxxxxxxx Digital Copy allow you to download the movie to your computer and instantly stream it via WiFi so you can watch on all compatible computers, tablets, and smartphones."
    Problem solved and legal, too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by OldMan64 View Post
    Actually there is a service that gives the purchaser of a BluRay disk a "digital copy" for such use on "devices". Look at the sleeve the BluRay comes in for which ones have that included. Some even included a DVD of the movie as well. To expect a download of the movie without some DRM like manono says would probably be expecting way too much for the industry.
    I quote from an insert found with a BluRay disk ( I hope this does not violate any rules)
    "Fxxxxxxx and Uxxxxxxxxx Digital Copy allow you to download the movie to your computer and instantly stream it via WiFi so you can watch on all compatible computers, tablets, and smartphones."
    Problem solved and legal, too.
    He'll still need a blu-ray drive to read the disc. In which case ripping the blu-ray movie will give him better quality. The "digital copy" is extremely limited (DRM protected), not 1080p, and not available on all discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As other's have said you will need a BR drive that can at least read your disc. If you don't plan on writing to blu-ray then you can just buy a cheaper read only BD-Rom like I did. There are USB versions to use externally such as with notebooks although these may cost a bit more.

I strongly suggest you do not buy oem since the retail packaged version usually comes with a simplified but adequate player software like PowerDVD for Blu-ray (not every old version plays blu-ray) which you will need to play your disc properly without having to buy other software. Unlike DVD playback, software Blu-ray players are few and not free. The only free ones which claim to read encrypted discs are severely limited in capabilities right now to be of any practical use.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    The closest thing is VUDU HDX: http://supports.vudu.com/questions/209/What+is+HDX%3F
    You still can't burn it to disc though. To rip BD get an external USB drive that supports Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My question now is if I buy a Blu-Ray Disk of a movie try to put it in my Laptop DVD Drive which is not a Blu Ray player obviously it will not play. But will it process it, so to be able to Rip a copy out of it using any of the above software.
    If it won't play it, why would it recognize it and read it and allow you to copy it ?

Can I use my DVD Drive to Rip Blu-Ray Movies ?
    WHY WON'T MY CD PLAYER PLAY A DVD ?!?!

But if i rip my cd to my HDD and then burn it to a dvd, it should read it because they are CD formatted files!!

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Nope.
    Thats a very short answer to a long question ! is it not possible can my DVD player not recognise the Blu-Ray Disc what will happen if I put a Blu-Ray Disk in my DVD Drive ?
    Short, but 100% ACCURATE!!!!

No if's and's or but's!!!!

Even after all these years & years & years of seeing people ask why one format drive won't read a totally different format disc, it still amazes me people don't have enough common sense to just know this........
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 29th Feb 2012 at 22:34.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You need one of those downloadable Blu-Ray drives. Make certain to get the re-winder that goes with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'VE GOT REWINDERS FOR SALE!!

CD! DVD!! BD!!! Combo Units!!!! (extra charge for that one)

Get them while they last...

Scott

Quote Quote  
  17. How much? And where can I order them?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose it might be helpful to explain in a simple way why the original poster's premise was flawed as others are likely to read this thread later looking for similar answers and they're not going to get them. But I admit that the replies have been entertaining

Basically CD, DVD and BluRay all use different types of lasers. So the "magic" that makes a BluRay drive able to read a BluRay disc while a DVD drive and a CD drive cannot is that a BluRay drive has the right laser to read the disc. To make sales the industry designed it so that the most advanced drives support the lower functions by having the right lasers built into them. So BluRay drives can read BluRay, DVD and CD discs, DVD drives can read DVD and CD discs and CD drives can only read CDs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Are you actually telling me that I can NOT use Blu-Ray disks in my CD re-winder?

If I had paid extra for the Blu-Ray re-winder, it would have done CD's, too?

What's with these Combo units, then? Sounds kinda fishy.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I'VE GOT REWINDERS FOR SALE!!

CD! DVD!! BD!!! Combo Units!!!! (extra charge for that one)

Get them while they last...

Scott

Ya mean one of these ??

Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd_rewinder_gr.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	11253

http://www.dvdrewinder.com/

LOL!!!

Best damn thing since sliced bread!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blu-ray-Disc-REWINDER-/110451546618?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&h...item19b76cd9fa
    Quote Quote  
  21. With all this handling don't forget to clean your discs too:

--dES
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	88274574.jpg
Views:	23347
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	11254  

"You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    As other's have said you will need a BR drive that can at least read your disc. If you don't plan on writing to blu-ray then you can just buy a cheaper read only BD-Rom like I did. There are USB versions to use externally such as with notebooks although these may cost a bit more.

I strongly suggest you do not buy oem since the retail packaged version usually comes with a simplified but adequate player software like PowerDVD for Blu-ray (not every old version plays blu-ray) which you will need to play your disc properly without having to buy other software. Unlike DVD playback, software Blu-ray players are few and not free. The only free ones which claim to read encrypted discs are severely limited in capabilities right now to be of any practical use.
    Are there any Blu Ray Player in the Market which has a USB cable so that it can be connected to your Notebook or something ? and that way you can read a Blu-Ray Disk. I have not com across any Can any of you name one. I want to use it with my Notebook If I can to play and than Rip Blu-Ray Movie !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  24. Just so it's clear to the original poster: Those are Blu-ray drives, not players. Ie, you can't hook them up to your TV to watch movies. The ones with "combo" in the name cannot write to Blu-ray discs, only read them (they can read and write DVD and CD). If you ever intend to write to Blu-ray discs you need a Blu-ray "writer".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Just so it's clear to the original poster: Those are Blu-ray drives, not players. Ie, you can't hook them up to your TV to watch movies. The ones with "combo" in the name cannot write to Blu-ray discs, only read them (they can read and write DVD and CD). If you ever intend to write to Blu-ray discs you need a Blu-ray "writer".

Good point

Although I expected someone who is already ripping DVDs would know that you can't mix and match the 2 technologies.

edit:
    There is a way that is not very portable and for you would require more expenditure. I own a Hauppauge USB PVR which goes for around $200. It could be hooked to a home standalone Blu-ray player via component cable and then to the notebook via usb. The included software will allow you to view the video or capture it to a 1080i .ts format file. It's convoluted and requires more equipment than you need
    if all you want to do is watch the BR disc on a notebook. Personally for cost and efficiency I'd go with the retail bundled external usb computer drive.
    Last edited by gll99; 2nd Mar 2012 at 14:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What a thread...

Click image for larger version

Name:	baked.jpg
Views:	11820
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	11257
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote