VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an LG 47LW5600 TV which I am connecting an external hard-drive to in order to play video files. I've come across an MKV file that I'm getting an "Unsupported audio format" error with. The file contains DTS audio. I'm assuming that I will need to convert the DTS audio in the file to another format and remux the MKV file with the converted audio file. What is the simplest course of action to achieve this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Simplest course of action, which you don't want to hear, but should consider anyway?
    Come to grips with the fact that TVs as media players are bs. Buy a media player from Western Digital or a similar manufacturer. STOP doing conversions. Plug in your drive. NO CONVERSIONS. Get on with your life.

What you will actually do because it "saves money" even though it means you'll be spending years to come doing conversions...
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good looking out. I do plan on getting a media player (probably a Popcorn Hour) as soon as I get a bit more money. What would you recommend as far as remuxing once I get the DTS file converted? What program should I use for that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Popcorn does all the processing/muxing for you... at least, from what I've read. (Yeah, I haven't had a need to use it, so I haven't tried it. )

Maybe MKV2AC3 might work, too.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    kmplsv- Until you actually do get a player (fantastic idea, and I prefer the WD) you can convert this mkv with GOTSent. This should be able to sort of the audio format for you. Use "stream copy" to copy the video instead of re-encoding it. Should be good to go after that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kmplsv View Post
    I have an LG 47LW5600 TV which I am connecting an external hard-drive to in order to play video files. I've come across an MKV file that I'm getting an "Unsupported audio format" error with. The file contains DTS audio. I'm assuming that I will need to convert the DTS audio in the file to another format and remux the MKV file with the converted audio file. What is the simplest course of action to achieve this?
    I have a different LG TV that can play media files, and DTS audio is one of the things it can't play.

The manual for your TV will devote a few pages to describing what your TV can and can't play. You'll need to refer to those pages until you get a media player, and when you do get a media player, you find it has restrictions too, although fewer of them.

TVs as media players are not necessarily BS. These LG TVs with media playback ability are actually great for someone like myself who plays a limited number of video and audio formats that are all supported by the TV, and does not need the kind of functionality offered by a stand-alone media player.

[Edit]I forgot to say, if you use DTS audio frequently, you will need to look carefully at the specs for your stand-alone media player. Some media players allow pass-through to a receiver, but don't decode it. Other media players can decode it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Feb 2012 at 15:01.
    Quote Quote