VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Here's what I'm wanting to do and hopefully someone can advise me on the best way to do this.

I have a bunch of dvd-r's of a television series (not available for purchase, otherwise I wouldn't be asking). I dubbed these from VHS tapes to DVD-R discs. Each DVD-R contains TWO episodes (each one hour long). They were dubbed in SP mode from my tapes.

I would like to take these dvd-r discs, rip them to my computer, edit out commercials (nothing fancy just a quick cut out), then re-burn episodes onto DUAL LAYER discs. Each episode without commercials is 40 minutes, thus allowing me 5 episodes per dual layer discs.

I want to do this without losing quality.
    Can someone advise me on the best way to do this? What programs/software is best for ripping, editing, and then re-burning to DVD+R DL discs in lossless format?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. Is mpeg-2 the lossless format? I don't want to re-encode these dvd rips, just edit parts out, then save the file without re-encoding, and then burn them all to a dual layer disc keeping the exact same SP looking quality from the original discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Mpeg Video Wizard DVD will accomplish what you want to do. The codec used in dvd-video is mpeg2 and this program will only reencode around the cuts when it is necessary. I always preferred VideoRedo personally. They are very similar in function, but neither are free to use. The trials for both are fully functional.

If you want to burn as dvd-video, not as mpeg2 files, get the trial for VideoReDo TV Suite.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 22nd Feb 2012 at 21:27.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah VideoRedo is probably the most appropriate for your task (making some cuts, authoring a DVD). MPEG Video Wizard can do it too but has more features than you need and a little bit more of a learning curve as far as the interface.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also use the old good and FREE dvd shrink in the reauthor mode to cut and join dvds without reconversion. Click on dvd shrink for some guides.

But it's easier to cut out commercials with videoredo.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 23rd Feb 2012 at 06:35.
    Quote Quote