VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My ole ipod classic is giving me a few minor issues and I thought it was time for me to start looking around for an alternative to replace it. It's pretty close to consensus online that the Samsung Galaxy 5.0/4.0 is the closest model to match the IPOD in terms of quality and playback etc. I looked around online about the "android" aspect of it and it look like it's basically a "tablet" pc in small package. I had a few questions that may or may not be relevant, but, I thought I'd inquire.

Can this model get online without wifi? i.e...can I use the supplied USB cable to get online through it or not?

The charging port is basically a mini-usb port to regular USB...Is it possible to use a min-usb adapter like this one and attach a USB to Lan device like this to it and get online? I'm not familiar with android and don't know if this little tablet would accept it or if it did, would the OS take the drivers for it and actually work.

Can you install apps without having to get online to download them at the Android Market/App Store? I've noticed at the MArketplace that there's an "install" button that's Java prompted so I wondered if there was an alternative to doing so.

Does this device have to be rooted for better functionality?

These are just a few questions I had before I go and blow some money on this thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tablets don't have a nic, only wifi/phone connection so no you're not going to get one online with a wired connection. unless you write your own apps you are going to have to download them, i can't say i've ever seen an app in a brick and mortar store. unless there is something specific you need it to do that requires it being rooted, there is no need to and you might just get in trouble installing unsigned apps.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured with the drivers being installed into android that the Trendent device would see the drivers and do it's thing...No onboard nic card/device needed. I guess I may have to join an Android Forum and see what others with a lot of experience with this stuff have done...or not done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usb internet tethering is one way only, from a galaxy with internet connection to a laptop/computer.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah it seems around online that my question is a big topic with others...and the only answer is what you mention...USB Tethering. It seems i have one of the prerequisites for in that i have a wifi connection thats not being used in my laptop but the directions on how to do it are a bit above me. Virtual routers and AAD-HOC are all physics to me. I'm guessin if i go through with it I'll be kinda frustrated lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    Can you install apps without having to get online to download them at the Android Market/App Store?
    YES! Android is so much more user friendly than apple.. there is a setting to allow external apps to be installed. change that setting, transfer the installer via USB, then launch it
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you link me some simple directions on how to do it?
    Quote Quote