VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I posted a comment in the Potplayer download/comment section stating that I can't get rid of subtitles when playing dvd's. I was wondering if anyone out there has a basic setup guide to use Potplayer? Like what settings are set in the background and what software not to have installed to use it. I have no issues with hd mkv's or BR discs but dvd's are gettin' on my last nerve.

I've uninstalled LAV filters and tried with no luck. I've checked and unchecked every setting possible and nuthin. I have these apps installed related to Video Playback

MPC HC
    ffdshow
    Haali Media Splitter
    Potplayer
    VSfilter/Vobsub (wasn't installed when I started with this then installed it...same issue)
    LAV Filters (installed and uninstalled...same issue)

Here are some screens for guidance/help

Under Filter Control/Video Decoder I've tried "Built-in and System Default"...when I switch to System Default the subs disappear altogether and they're no where to be found...can't bring them up with any hotkey or right click menu option...they're gone. If I switch back to built-in, the work but won't leave when you turn them off. I can use the "closed caption" ones, but if I do, I get 2 different sets of subs on the screen. Regular subs and the CC ones. I can turn off the CC ones though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ppVideoDecoder.png
Views:	37598
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	11085

Under Hardware/Dvd-Blue Ray settings I can check or uncheck "show subtitles" and it doesn't do a thing...no difference

Name:	dbr settings.png
Views:	39591
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	11086

Under Subtitle settings, any of these options that seem relevant I've checked or unchecked and no difference.

Name:	sub zettings.png
Views:	37125
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	11087

Under Filter Control/Video Decoder/Filter Management a window appears that lets you add or delete filters on your system. I've "scanned' and it shows LAV Filters and Haali etc. I've ticked boxes under Video Decoder/MPEG2 set up with LAV and Haali and zero subs show. Go back to Built-in and subs show...but won't go away.

Name:	filt manag.png
Views:	35286
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	11088

What have I gotta do to get subs working correctly with dvd's? A setting is not right or a piece of software/filter needs to be installed/uninstalled? Help an ole Buccaneer out before he loses his mind.

Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Humble suggestion: start by dropping the "Built-in MPEG decoders" Even the "CLVSD.ax" from an old version of PowerDVD should be infinitely better than any FOSS Mpeg decoder
    ( EXCEPTION to this rule: DScaler 5 )
    Also, disable the built-in video processing entirely, and choose "Overlay Mixer" for video rendering.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I commend you on your patience.

I'd rarely put that much effort into a freeware program. I'll just try something else and if nothing else I find is any good I'll go back and try to work with it. That was my experience with foobar2000 but with video players there are a lot more good ones out there.

In particular, if I had to even consider installing 3rd party filters and splitters just to get mpeg2 subs to work, I'd kiss the program goodbye. Forever.

I use mpc-hc or powerdvd9 (the latter came preinstalled on both my PCs) for high quality video or DVDs. No problem with subs.

For less good quality stuff I use SMplayer, which also plays DVD subs fine, though DVD menu support is, ahem, provisional.

To be fair, I've never tried Potplayer. I tried KMplayer, which was written by the same person, and it was junk.

Frankly, I'll be sticking to what I have for now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I turned off the Built-In Video Processing and it didn't help any unfortunately. I dunno. What a bizarre feature. I can't seem to find a single setting to turn these things off lol

I put effort into this because it's a puzzle. Kind of the "I gotta figure this out" school of thought. I have a tried and true method of playing dvd's. I use MPC HC and it's dead perfect. I only tried Potplayer for dvd's because I was bored. Potplayer is the only one I use for hd mkv's and BR discs/files. Works fine (ofcourse without menus). I've tried SMplayer also but get serious pixelating and the bad menu thing. I think it's kind of odd you have to download the codecs for SMPlayer to work. I would think it should just come with em. I tried the portable version also. Same thing. I dunno. My guess is it's something I have installed thats conflicting with it. Funny though, with all these "all-inclusive-codec" media players...they should bypass all of the system codecs...hmmm.

Thanks for the responses
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I took the time to find out what works over here
    ( since English is not my native language and I prefer to keep subs always turned on )

Context menu -> DVD Control -> Subtitle Option -> Un-tick "Active"
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 22nd Feb 2012 at 12:22. Reason: re-wording
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats' it!!!! Wow what a maze of subtitle controls in this player. Dvd Control wasn't there before. Oh well, it works perfect now.

Thanks El Heggunte
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ You're welcome
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    ( since English is not my native language and I prefer to keep subs always turned on )

I'm sorry for butting in, but can i ask where is the dvd control? i can't find it (a pic would help greatly)
    also, and i am taking advantage of your goodwill, but i remember i used to be able to customize subtitles hardcoded in mkv files on potplayer, but now i don't remember how i did it , do you know of an easy to understand for beginners step by step how to configure potplayer? thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kriszeth View Post
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

I'm sorry for butting in, but can i ask where is the dvd control?
    FIRST, put a DVD into the drive, then PotPlayer will make that menu item available.

As for the remaining questions, I'm sorry, but I don't use PotPlayer anymore I replaced it with MPC-BE, so I can keep using MPC-HC for all the other types of media files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I commend you on your patience.

I'd rarely put that much effort into a freeware program. I'll just try something else and if nothing else I find is any good I'll go back and try to work with it. That was my experience with foobar2000 but with video players there are a lot more good ones out there.

In particular, if I had to even consider installing 3rd party filters and splitters just to get mpeg2 subs to work, I'd kiss the program goodbye. Forever.

I use mpc-hc or powerdvd9 (the latter came preinstalled on both my PCs) for high quality video or DVDs. No problem with subs.

For less good quality stuff I use SMplayer, which also plays DVD subs fine, though DVD menu support is, ahem, provisional.

To be fair, I've never tried Potplayer. I tried KMplayer, which was written by the same person, and it was junk.

Frankly, I'll be sticking to what I have for now.
    I commend your ignorance and inability to learn simple option.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I recently updated to the latest version of Pot Player but it is all in Asian Characters, how can I set it to English, I don't understand Asian Characters, finding the "English Language" area is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click on the words Pot Player in red in this thread and it will take you to https://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer Then the desciption says to download from This site or it will be in korean if you download from the devlopers site

Note! Download the ENGLISH version from our site(The direct
    link under download). The developer site is in Korean and has the Korean
    version.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Where is the pitch control in Potplayer?
    when I speed up the video then the audio gets distorted and I would like to find the automatic pitch control that compensates this, in order to hear audio faster but well.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently I've had this issue where potplayer would kind of freeze/lag the video, when i move the mouse the video would catch up to the audio. Its never happened to me before until now, nothing has changed software or hardware wise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Off hand, logically, if it never happened before, then something hardware/or software DID change. Is it just recently acquired files that are failing or are the ones that always played well failing now? You might try some others just to see if it is certain formats, codecs, etc. that is causing this. I have had similar problems but it was usually a damaged or poorly encoded video that the codec used to play it did not decode well.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi, which renderer is the best choice, I have an option of VMR7/9, EVR (Vista / .Net 3), EVR (Custom), Haali, Madshi, Direct3D 9, OpenGL.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Best Quality for madVR, Best Performance for EVR, Usability + Performance for EVR Custom like pixel shader, capture

By the way, you don't need to change the default setting (auto selection) as long as you're not facing a specific problem like quality degradation or something else. EVR Custom is default for vista and higher OS.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks, so might I want to prefer madvr over EVR custom if I see diference in CPU usage not more than 2-3% (I don't ecounter any video problem with default renderer though)
    Quote Quote  
  19. I want to increase or decrease full screen image, but Pot Player does not have this option (classic panscan or zoom) like KMplayer or Bsplayer?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nic3 View Post
    I want to increase or decrease full screen image, but Pot Player does not have this option (classic panscan or zoom) like KMplayer or Bsplayer?
    Have you looked at the Pan & Scan options?
    It works just like MPC with the same k/b shortcuts on the numpad.
    PotPlayer has so many screen options it's almost too featured! You just have to look...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by katipo View Post
    I did. Tried everything there... no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by katipo View Post
    I did. Tried everything there... no luck.
    I assume when you say
    I want to increase or decrease full screen image... (classic panscan or zoom)
    you want to Zoom into the image thus changing the framing?

Like I said, that is done using the Pan & Scan controls (exactly like MPC). When you right click the player screen and select the "Pan & Scan" menu you can see all the keyboard shortcuts. i.e. the Numpad keys. [9] Zoom +, [1] Zoom -, [4] Horiz -, [6] Horiz +, [8] Vert +, [2] Vert - , Move frame offset = Ctl + [2,4,6,8]. Reset all = [5]

It all works great for me, always has done. Perhaps I've misunderstood you?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I want to increase or decrease entire image on full screen, mainly to get rid of black borders.
    I can do this trick on KMPlayer and BSPlayer by default (with num - and +).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I want to increase or decrease entire image on full screen, mainly to get rid of black borders.
    I can do this trick on KMPlayer and BSPlayer by default (with num - and +).
    I don't think you read what I posted? Press [9] to Zoom In and [1] to Zoom Out - on the Numpad.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Tried already, not working... you have this options on potplayer?

Originally Posted by katipo View Post
    Yes, it's always worked this way with the [1] and [9] keys, just like MPC. Just make sure you have the [Num Lock] switched On*
    That was the problem. Thanks!
    Any solution to keep panscan working with num lock off?
    Last edited by nic3; 24th Jan 2014 at 05:50.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Tried already, not working... you have this options on potplayer?
    Yes, it's always worked this way with the [1] and [9] keys, just like MPC. Just make sure you have the [Num Lock] switched On*
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    That was the problem. Thanks!
    Any solution to keep panscan working with num lock off?
    Press [F5] for Preferences, General/Shortcuts -> Add 'Pan & Scan': 'Frame Size +' and 'Frame Size -'. Assign your favourite keys. e.g. Numpad [+] and [-]. You'll probably want to assign a shortcut to 'Default [Num 5]' (reset view), and any other Pan & Scan keys you need...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

Glad to find some fellow PP users here! I wondered if you could help me with one thing:

I'm using some Bluetooth headphones with a "Play/Pause" button. PP used to respond to it, which was great (no more running back and forth to the PC!).

Now it doesn't. I thought it might be a problem with the 'phones, but Windows Media Player responds to the button. Of course I'd much rather use PP... Does it have a setting somewhere for this that may have been changed by an update? I've looked through the Preferences but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    Hi guys,

Glad to find some fellow PP users here! I wondered if you could help me with one thing:

I'm using some Bluetooth headphones with a "Play/Pause" button. PP used to respond to it, which was great (no more running back and forth to the PC!).

Now it doesn't. I thought it might be a problem with the 'phones, but Windows Media Player responds to the button. Of course I'd much rather use PP... Does it have a setting somewhere for this that may have been changed by an update? I've looked through the Preferences but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
    I wanted some blue tooth head phones for my DVD player so you can watch TV at 2am without waking anyone, but DVD player doesn't have bluetooth
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PowerFalcon View Post
    I wanted some blue tooth head phones for my DVD player so you can watch TV at 2am without waking anyone, but DVD player doesn't have bluetooth :(
    Well, there are lots of non-Bluetooth wireless headphones for stereos, too... They use different radio frequencies, but the sound quality should be about the same. Bluetooth's big advantage is that multiple computer devices can share the same accessory. But it doesn't seem like you need to do that, because you'd be using your DVD player. Can you try some wireless headphones from a store where you can return them if you didn't like them?
    Last edited by Ander; 10th May 2014 at 05:46.
    Quote Quote