VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. as you can see on title i want to ask if is really possible to repair an mp4 file ... my videos damaged and cant open at all. i read all topics about that but nothink helped any ideas ? help plz :/
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. already tryed it but video is like on fast forward with no sound and its not clean
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you feed the tool a known good file as well as the broken one?

If you did and it's still bad, contact the programs author, he may be able to help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. yeah i did it :/ but nothink ...
    if anyone want to help me please send me pm
    Last edited by narinos321; 22nd Feb 2012 at 10:08.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by narinos321 View Post
    already tryed it but video is like on fast forward with no sound and its not clean
    I have come across such files occasionally: when opened in a software player the entire twenty minutes zips by at something like 100x FF speed, almost as if the player is flipping thru a series of still frames at insanely high speed. If you pause the video, individual frames appear normal, but will not play as a normal video.

While I am sure there are tools and techniques to "properly" repair such files, they usually are not important enough for me to be worth the effort, and I don't run across the defect very often. I have found the easiest way to "repair" them is to process them thru either DVDflick or AVStoDVD, to create DVD-format files that will then play correctly on software players (or on DVD players if burned to disc). These two "all in one" DVD conversion apps almost always accept "defective" files that don't work normally otherwise: something inherent in the conversion to DVD format repairs them.

DVDflick and AVStoDVD are Windows PC apps, if you use a Mac you could try running the problem MP4s thru the MKVtools app. This has various settings to demux or reformat problem files. I have both types of computer, and find the little MKVtools app will fix some very strange problems that leave me scratching my head otherwise. My most annoying MP4 is HD-sourced and has a visual "stutter" once every two seconds that is so jarring as to make it unwatchable- I recently tried passing it thru MKVtools, telling the app to simply make it iPad-compatible. Expecting nothing, I was shocked that it completely fixed the frame stutter and the video is now watchable! Sometimes you get lucky. Note MKVtools compatibility stops at 10.5 Leopard, users of 10.6 or 10.7 need the newer MP4-specific tool from the same developer.
    Last edited by orsetto; 22nd Feb 2012 at 15:23.
    Quote Quote