VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all,

I'm desperately looking for people who can support me for the time I need to find the right settings for the rips I want to create.
    If you want to help me out and can be available for more than just some times a week, please add me!

Situation:
    It are DVD's released in Sweden, which are interlaced. I've tried different programs and settings, but can't seem to create a matching rip.
    Uptill now I've never been content with the rips...
    It's always better to watch it directly from DVD. I've no knowledge at all of these advanced ripping and encoding settings, what do I need to do?

Goal:
    I want the rips to be the highest quality possible or the same quality as the original DVD (768x576 or 720x576) and the size less than 1GB (prefer 200-400MB). It must be a container file, I want to add and delete audio streams without converting the video again. Maybe in future even my own subtitles. I don't prefer mkv, as many people need extra plugins or software to play that.

Ripping software I've tried:
    > Fairuse wizard: Not very much options and no custum or full dvd resolutions...
    > Aimersoft DVD Ripper: Lots of settings, crop (also a must!), but deinterlacing makes movements flashing..
    > Handbrake: 2 container options, but so many advanced settings I don't know. Deinterlacing, cropping and sizes are very good, the output file just isn't 'perfect' enough, some more pixels with fading screens than original DVD.

SO, if you are an expert with knowing about many filters, all advanced settings you can use in encoding and have a solution for me, plz help me out. If the software and settings work, I can rip all 8! DVD's in no time, now I'm stuck as I'm not content of the rips I make..
    Thnx!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use drag and drop. Then you get a 1:1 copy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Could you tell us what file extention the original files use? Are they VOB files and if so how many per disc?
    Why can't you just copy the discs? a one-to-one backup is an exact duplicate of the original.
    There are only so many containers and file types which don't use some sort of compression.
    Reducing file size = compression = quality loss.
    The greater the compression = smaller file size = larger loss of quality.
    This is unavoidable as you are effectively taking information FROM the file to make it smaller.
    Reducing to 400MB means reducing the screen size (effectively cutting it in half - there is half your information lost immediately) AND having to use compression (more data loss).
    All in all your goal is unachievable. You can't squeeze a gallon into a pint glass.

Edit: compression, by the way, usually means removing frames and/or changing pixel matrices. So, either frames are removed and or picture information is changed. That is why encoded movies never look identical to the original.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 21st Feb 2012 at 09:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It are vob files, yes.
    MediaInfo says the following about the DVD:

720x576 (4:3) at 25.000 fps, MPEG Video (PAL) (Version 2) [Though I already knew, tested before]
    There are 3 .VOB episodes on each disc, and more supportive vobs, I don't know why but I'm no DVD file expert.

cloning is not what I want, I want to make seperate movie container files to play.
    I can understand there is a bit loss, but the files on the DVD are 0,99 GB and I want smaller, but if that's not an option, I want that size if that will create the rip I want.
    I've seen other rips that were great imo and still were very small. There has to be something I don't know that can manage that...
    Last edited by DARkTYranno; 21st Feb 2012 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. As Jagabo says, use MakeMKV, maybe split it with MKVCleaver and convert the files you see inside to MP4 or AVI.

You will have to experiment with bitrates and screen size until you get the quality which pleases YOU.
    None of use here can decide what please you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know, but people know what is better quality, as it will suffer when you have smaller size, so say I need bigger size if I can see the difference.
    Besides that I experiment a lot. So I can set bitrate 200 times more, size increases to 5Gb and quality won't even be better.. to give an example.
    So what I'm really asking is to get a great quality with the settings I need, so people with knowledge about all these extra options and what they do would be awesome.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Interlaced h.264 and AAC or AC3 in whatever container you want.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DARkTYranno View Post
    I know, but people know what is better quality,
    The problem is that this is all subjective. That's what we're trying to tell you.

Here's an example. Are you familiar with MP3 files and their various bit rates? What do YOU think is the lowest bit rate at which the quality is acceptable? For me it's 128 Kbps, but I consider anything below 192 to be inferior. For me, if you get to 96 Kbps or lower, it's unlistenable. I worked with a guy once who insisted that anything below 256 Kbps contained artifacts he could hear and while he hated everything below 320, he was willing to go as low as 256 but no lower. He told me that he simply did not keep any MP3 files if he got them and the bit rate was below 256.

I have a friend who used to record TV shows over the air in VCD format. During the analog TV days his signal had tons of "snow" (noise in the signal that looks something like snow) AND he was recording in VCD format at low VCD bitrates. His TV captures were abysmal. To me they weren't worth watching because of the low quality. But he loved them and thought they were great and he did not care about macroblocks or the poor signal he was recording and he kept a ton of them. He may still have them for all I know. So the point we want you to understand is that you HAVE to try out various settings yourself and decide what you like and don't like. If you just simply refuse, then to give you a target try a bit rate of 2000 Kbps as a starting point and go up or down from there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DARkTYranno View Post
    ... I want the rips to be the highest quality possible or the same quality as the original DVD (768x576 or 720x576) and the size less than 1GB (prefer 200-400MB)...
    I don't think that's reasonable.

For shrinking a ripped DVD, if you're having option anxiety I'd recommend VidCoder. It's really just a front end / interface for Handbrake, which is just about the best converter I've used. It's excellent. VidCoder really just streamlines the user interface in a way that's more oriented to people who want to use it to encode DVD rips.

I'd used handbrake before vidcoder for a while and as such I wasn't quite so excited about it as if I'd been new to doing this, but it sounds good for you, and I do use it. Actually I used vidcoder last night to compress my War of the Worlds DVD I'd ripped with DVDFab HD Decrypter.

However, unless the DVDs you're talking about are really short you're sure as hell not going to get video the same quality as the original at that size.

I encoded it to mkv ... it's my favorite format right now. In Settings I used 2 pass target file size mode. Technically you don't necessarily need 2 pass but in my experience it's the most reliable way to consistently get good results.

But 200-400Mb? Mkv is the best container I know of regarding quality / file size, but to get quality comparable with a DVD source you need a file size of at least 1 Gb per hour of video.

The 2 Gb mkv I made of that 2 hr movie isn't indistinguishable fro the original, but it's damn good. There's a ton of smoke and dust blowing around in the scenes where the aliens invade and it's rendered very well. That sort of thing is a bit of a torture test for an encoder.

Now, if you want to deinterlace, that complicates things. I don't really think you can deinterlace or decomb with absolutely no quality loss.

Above all, I think you should read the Handbrake documentation. Vidcoder points you to it under its helpsection, and most paid software docs aren't as good. It explains things extremely well. You'll find there's a limit to how much knowledgeable users are freely willing to help users who can't be bothered to read manuals.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thnx!

The movies on the DVD are 3x 25 minutes, at 1GB per 25 minutes.
    Handbrake did give me almost perfect rips, but it differed at fading parts with more pixels. Don't know what I can do about that with what setting.. I've tried to find all the extra options in Handbrake and see what it does, but these are no normal DVD's and some settings can't be set higher, cause it makes the size bigger but simply can't improve the movie. VLC Player plays the DVD well, the rips just not perfect.
    In Handbrake you can chose MP$ or MKV, tried both, but no difference in result. It has to be in settings.
    If I can't find any solution, even rips of the original 1 GB and still same result, I'll have to go with the smaller size, rest of criteria ok.
    Quote Quote  
  11. 1000 MB MPEG 2 to 400 MB h.264 with good quality is easily doable. The biggest problem you'll have is finding a player that handles interlaced h.264 with MBAFF in MKV properly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give that MakeMKV a shot, but as I'm going to share them and not anyone can play the MKV's.. Yes they can download plugins or software to do so, but if I could avoid that, it would be better. But I'll try, if that MKV is the perfect rip in 400MB or 1 GB, I'm happy. I don't want to wait too long, as this is part of a big project, so I'll maybe have to use one of the previous options.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV does no encoding. It just puts the data in a different video container format.

In other words, it won`t deinterlace.

Again, read the handbrake docs. They explain things.

Again, you can`t get perfect rips without having the output file size at least as large as the input. All these encoding (compression) methods are called lossy for a reason.

And, again, you can not deinterlace without some loss of quality.

You are just going to have to decide for yourself what kind of quality loss is acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV with original size looks good, movement could be little better I guess, as you can see some more pictures with a lot of movement, but overall it is great. Picture Quality is good, but I can't crop it, so I still have the black borders...
    Quote Quote  
  15. MakeMKV simply takes the compressed MPEG 2 video out of the VOB/MPG container and puts it in an MKV container. It does not change to the video at all. If you're seeing differences it's your players fault.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I kwen it just exported, no changes, but you're right, have to check more players to see the result
    Just tried BS.Player as that is linked to mkv here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen a lot of rips I didn't like, too much artifacting

400mb is going to look terrible

when it comes to file size 700mb per Hr is doable but 1gb per Hr is much better
    this makes a 2hr movie between 1.4gb > 2gb in total size using h264 and ac3 audio

even the avg 4:3 SD movie is 3>4gb on a single layer disc

no way to rip a double layer to less than 1/2 size and expect a really good viewing quality

just my opinion yours might be different

I know you didn't mention double layer or the original movie run time or size

0.99gig per vob is STD
    Quote Quote