VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I want to create a backup of movie of mine. I have tried a few programs, including DVDdecrypter and CLoneDVD. I don't want to convert my movies to .avi because I fear a loss in quality. These programs have worked fine for me in the past, but I haven't had to worry about subtitles. I am now trying to rip a a Criterion Collection edition of Band Of Outsiders which is a French film so I NEED subtitles. But when I rip the movie using either of the two programs I will get an output of two files, a .VOB with audio and video and a .IFO with subtitles. How can I rip the movie with the subtitles integrated into the .VOB? I've looked up various ways to extract subtitles from the .IFO and then convert them to .SRT and then remux them into the .VOB, but isn't there a better way of doing this? Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know Criterion still does not use the "bad sector" method of disc copy protection that DVDDecrypter cannot handle. Do note that DVDDecrypter has not been updated in years as its author was forced to abandon the program or face a possibly ruinous lawsuit over it. In other words, DVDDecrypter should be OK for your disc but don't count on it for everything.

Look up how to use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode. You can rip one giant VOB file that way and it will have the subtitles you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A "RIP" of a dvd is an EXACT copy minus the copy protection.

So if it has subtitles on the original DVD the rip will also have them.

And if the original disc is a dual layer, you will need to burn the rip back to a dual layer dvdr for there to be no quality loss.

Next.....

DVDDecrypter is not the top choice for ripping dvd's to your HDD as it has not been updated since 2005.

And i think you should look at the menu on the left hand side of every page on this site, specifically where it say's "WHAT IS" & "DVD"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Cool, I'll give DVDdecrypter a shot in IFO mode and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, sorry I don't want to rip the DVD because I don't want menus. I just want a single video file with video, audio, and subtitles. Noahtuck, what would you recommend to accomplish this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also I used DVDdecrypter in IFO mode and the output was a .VOB with audio and Video and a .IFO with the subtitles. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. C'mon guys surely I'm not the first person who has wanted a lossless video copy of a DVD with subtitles. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to rip the DVD first, to get the unprotected version of it to work with.

As for lossless, there's VOB2MPEG, which will repackage the DVD into an MPEG file - but I don't know if it'll include the subtitles. There's also MakeMKV, which will repackage it into an MKV - and that one does include the subtitles, I believe. Neither of those does any re-encoding. They'll probably prefer a full disc rip from which to work, though.
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 20th Feb 2012 at 23:32.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, put the DVD onto the hard drive (DVD Decrypter in File Mode, not IFO Mode), demux the video, audio, celltimes (Chapters), and subs using PGCDemux. Reauthor (Muxman), and you'll get a DVD without a menu. That's one way out of several. You can't get subs out of DVD Decrypter.

Load the celltimes.txt in Muxman in File->Import Chapter. For Criterions either delete that last cell frame number, or lower the frame number by 30 (subtract 30 from what it says). You can fix the subtitle colors after reauthoring, either using PGCEdit or DVDSubEdit (for which there's a guide listed on the DVDSubEdit page).

Don't count on getting any subs by playing a VOB (unless you want external subs). You'll need to play it as a DVD.

Also I used DVDdecrypter in IFO mode and the output was a .VOB with audio and Video and a .IFO with the subtitles.
    The IFOs don't contain the subtitles.
    Last edited by manono; 21st Feb 2012 at 01:27.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvddecrypter is a fine program, but since it hasn't been updated in almost 7 years, and DVD protection methods have, I don't use it. I've pretty much forgotten what it looks like.

Have you tried dvdfab hd decrypter? It's the free (non trial) part of dvdfab. It'll decrypt almost anything, at least if it doesn't use a new protection scheme less than a few months old.

Plus, it's easy to just rip the main movie without menus etc. If you want the extras, and with a Criterion DVD you just might, I've never actually tried that with dvdfab decrypter. I'm not sure.

I've ripped the main movie off my dvds with dvdfab decrypter. If you try it, don't worry about all those options on the menu you don't have. I've used them in the trial version and they don't work all that great. There aren`t any decent quality settings in dvd or file mode. Handbrake works a lot better.

Or VidCoder, which is actually Handbrake with a graphical front end / interface that's more oriented interface oriented to those who want to rip dvds and want less option anxiety. Though if you know how to use dvd decrypter that shouldn't be a problem. Even though I used handbrake a lot of times before trying vidcoder I find myself using the latter more.

With some videos I don`t want any compression or quality loss. I`ll just rip it with dvdfab decrypter and play it through software as a dvd. No problem, excpet that not all players handle menus all that well. I find I need more than one software player.

With others the source isn`t really that high resolution to begin with. This often happens with older black and white movies. Then I may use handbrake or vidcoder to encode it to mp4 or mkv with good quality settings. 2 pass, target file size set to al least 1 gig per hour of video is actually pretty damn good. Even with a high quality source.

And with mkv the subs can be embedded within the video file. Pretty damn convenient.

I`ve used both these options a lot. Frankly either sounds a hell of a lot simpler that what you`re trying to do.
    Quote Quote