VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

New member here who has NO IDEA what he's doing...I'm looking for a way to transfer with LOSSLESS quality a DVR HD recording from CBS Final Four Broadcast to .ts file for blu ray burning. I cannot figure out how to change the ext. without losing quality or keeping the extension and having my blu ray software recognize it.

This may be a proprietary protection issue with the DVR, or it may be because I don't know what I'm doing. But at any rate, this recording is REALLY important to me, it's in 1080i HD and has magnificent bit rate and quality, but to copy it and have my blu ray software recognize it is nearly impossible. The .m2t file needs to be converted to .ts and still RETAIN all the bitrate and quality, and be recognizable format to burn.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Barry
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post the details from the m2t? Use medainfo, view->text.

And you can try tsmuxer to remux to a blu-ray m2ts directly. No reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. what do you mean, medainfo? I'm really new at this.

Thanks again...so confused. I will be at work for the next nine hours, but feel free to post. I will get back after work to reply. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I mean mediainfo, open your m2t and change to view->text and copy all details.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, this is not THE actual file (m2t) but a similar one that is .ts. I accidentally deleted the m2t file and need to put it back on. But for simplicity sake, lets say this is the problem file I'm dealing with and I copied the text of the info over. If I had to change this to a different file format, while MAINTAINING ALL bitrate and quality of the original m2t file, how would I do it? Here is the cut and paste of the info:

General
    ID : 1 (0x1)
    Complete name : C:\2008 KU Final Four Arcsoft\KU - UNC Semifinal.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 17.0 GiB
    Duration : 2h 8mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 18.8 Mbps

Video
    ID : 2048 (0x800)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@High
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Codec ID : 2
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 17.5 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 45.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.282
    Stream size : 15.8 GiB (93%)

Audio
    ID : 2049 (0x801)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -329ms
    Stream size : 354 MiB (2%)
    Language : English

Text #1
    ID : 2048 (0x800)-608-1
    Format : EIA-608
    Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
    Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
    Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
    ID : 2048 (0x800)-1
    Format : EIA-708
    Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
    Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
    Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also, do any of you know about Arcsoft Total Media Extreme 2 software? It does not seem to want to allow me to burn a blu-ray at full 45000 bitrate. Drops it down to 22500. That will reduce quality, right? I have 30 days to return it, so if anyone has better ideas for a blu ray burner and software with magnificent output quality, let me know please. Gotta run, back to work I go, but go ahead and post and I can see it when I'm mobile. Thank you!

Barry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just a guess but maybe it's giving you the max that will fit on a disc. and there's really no reason to go over 17.5mbps if that's all the source is.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. I guess its possible but I assumed if it was only half the bit rate it would be half the quality? I want to make an identical copy quality wise but in a format my bluray software will recognize. What do the specs say to you? I don't know how to read them or what they mean. Is it even possible to make a 1:1 copy from .m2t to .ts and not lose quality? I sorry...majorly confused.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    Ok, this is not THE actual file (m2t) but a similar one that is .ts. I accidentally deleted the m2t file and need to put it back on. But for simplicity sake, lets say this is the problem file I'm dealing with and I copied the text of the info over. If I had to change this to a different file format, while MAINTAINING ALL bitrate and quality of the original m2t file, how would I do it? Here is the cut and paste of the info:
    The specs Mediainfo provided for a similar file with a different format is of absolutely no use here. We really need the information from the file that is giving you problems, not information from a different file that you consider to be similar.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Understand it will take me a week to get that file back and loaded. Will check then. Anyone else feel free to chime in if any experience in this area. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. If it's similar to that mediainfo of the different file you posted, it should be already compliant

You would just use tsmuxer, check blu-ray radio button. No re-encoding, takes minutes instead of hours - That's how you know it keeps original quality (stream is just copied, not re-encoded)

Some DVR sets use copy protection, so you will have to check with the original file
    Quote Quote  
  12. I know DVRs can be tricky with copyright protection. But we were able to put the file in question on a flash drive, we just can't figure out a way to burn it in original quality with an ext. the software can read. If it could be copied to a flash drive, is the issue with DVR copy protection a mute point? Is it instead an ext. Issue? Is tsmuxer the best for dealing with this or am I going to create more issues with an ISO image burned to BD if my player can't read it? Thank you for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    I know DVRs can be tricky with copyright protection. But we were able to put the file in question on a flash drive, we just can't figure out a way to burn it in original quality with an ext. the software can read. If it could be copied to a flash drive, is the issue with DVR copy protection a mute point? Is it instead an ext. Issue? Is tsmuxer the best for dealing with this or am I going to create more issues with an ISO image burned to BD if my player can't read it? Thank you for all your help.

No - the ability to copy the file to a flash drive doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the status of copy protection or encrpytion

tsmuxer is probably the best freeware to do this if you don't need menus / full authoring . Another option is multiavchd (but mavchdhas ability to reencode, tsmuxer does not). Both will create all the folder structure and accessory files to be readable by a BD player. You can burn with imgburn for example
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If VLC or MPCHC could play the .m2t file, then it is likely free of copy protection. If not, then most likely some kind of encryption was used.

If it is encrypted, there is probably nothing you can do to make original file onto a playable BD. Your only option in that case would be to capture the DVR's output with your computer using an HD capture device, such as the Hauppauge Colossus or Hauppauge HD PVR. (Those two devices would be good choices because they can capture BD compatible H.264 video and 5.1 AC3 audio.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. They were able to play it, I tried them both. I assume it is a problem with transferring them to blu ray, due to my inexperience. I have an external blu ray burner but I'm having trouble burning. My dad has a laptop with a TON of speed and power and a blu ray burner working with PowerDVD blu ray burning software. Anyone have any clues as to how competent this software is given output quality? I mean the ultimate goal is to have a crystal clear Blu ray disc recording, since the original is crystal clear.

I may just let him do it. Any word on PowerDVD blu ray burner output quality?

Thank you,

Barry
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    They were able to play it, I tried them both. I assume it is a problem with transferring them to blu ray, due to my inexperience. I have an external blu ray burner but I'm having trouble burning. My dad has a laptop with a TON of speed and power and a blu ray burner working with PowerDVD blu ray burning software. Anyone have any clues as to how competent this software is given output quality? I mean the ultimate goal is to have a crystal clear Blu ray disc recording, since the original is crystal clear.

I may just let him do it. Any word on PowerDVD blu ray burner output quality?

Thank you,

Barry
    I don't know anything about PowerDVD for burning BD media.

This forum tends to recommend free software if there is any that is good for the task at hand. Try tsMuxeR GUI with default settings to create the basic Blu-Ray folders and file structure from your .m2t file without re-encoding it. Use ImgBurn (also free) to burn the discs. By all accounts ImgBurn is very reliable for Blu-Ray recordable media and will burn the discs correctly.

Regardless of the burning and authoring software you decide to use, for best results you need quality media of sufficient capacity to hold the files. Verbatim is the most trusted brand for most VideoHelp forum members, but some Blu-Ray burning drives and Blu-Ray players have difficulty with Verbatim LTH (low to high) BD recordable media. Get the regular non-LTH discs. They cost more, but if you use them you have a better chance of producing a playable disc.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Feb 2012 at 13:45. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote