VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have just downloaded the latest version of VLC 2.01. I am running the 32 bit system windows vista

I put the KEYDB.cfg in the %APPDATA%aacs/ and the folder libaacs-0.4.0 in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC but I could not find the liabaacs.dll anywhere in the directory or in the libaacs-0.4.0 folder but got this message:

Blu-Ray error:
    This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.

I dont know what Im doing wrong or how to get VLC to play my BLU-RAY discs. Can someone please help me, Im lost without it.

Kind regards

MFG
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Mighty Flash Gordon View Post
    I have just downloaded the latest version of VLC 2.01. I am running the 32 bit system windows vista

I put the KEYDB.cfg in the %APPDATA%aacs/ and the folder libaacs-0.4.0 in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC but I could not find the liabaacs.dll anywhere in the directory or in the libaacs-0.4.0 folder but got this message:

Blu-Ray error:
    This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.

I dont know what Im doing wrong or how to get VLC to play my BLU-RAY discs. Can someone please help me, Im lost without it.

Kind regards

MFG
    You dont put the folder with the .dll in your VLC directory, just the file itself. Just copy the file and paste it into the VLC folder with all the other .dll's. If you feel like deleting it you can. If you have anymore issues let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'm seeing the error:
    Blu-Ray error: Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?
    Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///G:/'. Check the log for details.

I'm running Window 7 64-bit, with VLC 2.0.1 32-bit. I'm selecting 'Open Media', then the 'BluRay' radio button, and the 'No disc menus' checkbox.

> dir %APPDATA%\AACS
    06/26/2012 05:43 PM 3,006 KEYDB.cfg

> dir "\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\libaacs.dll"
    06/26/2012 06:19 PM 459,776 libaacs.dll

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It apparently won't work on some generations of BD protections
    and it appears that the experimental VLC 64 bit build maybe does better?
    Seems easier to me to rip disc to hard drive and play it in media player of one's choice.

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96787&start=80
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Wonder how to get your VLC 2.0 to play encrypted blu-ray discs? Here's how. ...
    Anything like this in VLC to play HD-DVD discs?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chingnuchkuk View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Wonder how to get your VLC 2.0 to play encrypted blu-ray discs? Here's how. ...
    Anything like this in VLC to play HD-DVD discs?
    I doubt that. HD-DVD has been dead for a looooong time now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Even drives that can read HD DVD are hard to find and must be bought used with all the risks that entails.

To watch HD DVD on a PC you'll need a drive that is capable of reading the discs and an ancient version of PowerDVD. Old versions of WinDVD might be able to do it, but I don't know. PowerDVD won't sell you the old version that supported HD DVD. If I remember correctly, and I may not, I think version 7 was the last version that supported HD DVD. I'm not allowed to tell you where you might find an old version of PowerDVD but hopefully you are smart enough to know what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah it's just alright. Maybe some day in the near future, VLC will support Blu-ray menu and pop-up menu integration. That would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for weighing in, OP & everyone. I looked around some before my original post. Yeah, it looked like HD-DVD would be a problem. But that's only because players like PowerDVD no longer permit snapshots of high-def sources. At least, using VLC, it can be done (with Blu-ray). After more looking around, I found that a really-older version of PowerDVD (7 Ultra), which had HD-DVD playback, could take screen snapshots. An older WinDVD may, but that needs more research to confirm. In either of those cases, I'm glad eBay (et al) exists, although initial searches show that no one is parting with older PDVDs ... cheap. This may take a while ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An update for anyone with Windows 8 x64 (I am running Win 8 Enterprise x64)

Download LATEST 64 Bit VLC

Use instructions previously posted for a 64 bit OS (place dll and key files in appropriate directories)

Definitely Works with : vlc-21.1.0-git-20120914-0402-win64

I'm now successfully Watching my commercial BluRay now (which was bought and paid for) It's just silly that M$ did not want to include decoding (the rationale was that most don't want or need it)

Microsoft should have come out with a Win8 "Home Entertainment" with full Codecs and licensing out of the gate. Another 10 bucks would have been well worth it (instead of going through all this hassle)

Thank you VLC x64 contributors for this excellent work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another 10 bucks would have been well worth it
    I have this suspicion that 10 won't do it. Both Win DVD and Power DVD went up 30 dollars or more when they added in Blu-Ray.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cm1701 View Post

I'm now successfully Watching my commercial BluRay now (which was bought and paid for) It's just silly that M$ did not want to include decoding (the rationale was that most don't want or need it)

No way. Just as an example,

The ACTUAL "raison d'être" for the infamous "Ribbon Interface" is,
    one of the bosses @ Microsoft liked it very-much.
    Quote Quote  
  13. My theory is that WMC is a download so that only people with a registered product key can use it. Windows 7 can be used as a media center without a product key. Yes, you get a WGA error dialog at boot but it automatically goes away after 30 seconds and MCE starts up. The Desktop is black, the little "This version of Windows is not genuine" message is displayed down by the tray, and you get an occasional WGA error dialog, but you don't see any of that if MCE is running full time. No doubt this was a mandate from Bill Gates who has always hated the fact that people could pirate his software.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I was getting the same problems as everyone else here - Win7 64 bit, but 32 bit install of VLC, eventually with the 32-bit dll in place, I upgraded to VLC 2.0.4, and it all suddenly started working!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you all so much for this tutorial. I'm up and running watching Blu Ray movies on my Windows 7 PC now and it only took about 10 minutes. Awesome.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Belkiolle - We're glad to help, but we really don't need posts that just say "thanks" if you're not the original poster. If everybody did that, some of our threads would have hundreds or thousands of posts that just say "thanks".
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In windows 7 what worked for me was using the 32 bit version of AACS library . placed in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
    these are default locations. when I installed vlc I let it decide where to install.
    then I copied the config file to C:\Users\(my name)AppData\Roaming . to copy the config file I right clicked on get the keys link at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ and "save target as" (KEYDB.cfg) in the aacs folder that I created in the roaming folder which is at the path I showed you above.

VLC now works like a charm and I can even select audio (english or french in my case) in the audio menu and subtitles in the video menu. this program works nice!
    Thanks for all your help!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Any idea when the next VLC version will come out and if it will include this support? I know they are working on a Windows 8 release, because I saw their kickstarter campaign (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experien...metro?ref=live) but I would love to see this included in the next Mac version.
    Coming soon: Skakash
    Quote Quote  
  19. This works but as previously noted performance is very bad. My PC is just something for watching while doing other things so I wish options like "play lower resolution video" would work.
    Quote Quote  
  20. erase this post please
    Last edited by petesimon; 14th Jan 2013 at 14:36.
    Me llamo es Japon!
    -
    Are you down with the Homies?
    Quote Quote  
  21. neato. gonna try it in Windows 7.

here are some good tips for users of Mac OSX http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98554
    Me llamo es Japon!
    -
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by petesimon View Post
    neato. gonna try it in Windows 7.

here are some good tips for users of Mac OSX http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98554
    Awesome! Thanks!
    Coming soon: Skakash
    Quote Quote  
  23. Seems easier to me to rip disc to hard drive and play it in media player of one's choice.

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96787&start=80
    yes I agree. especially since I have been severely tweaking my Windows 7 by installing a lot of video codecs and filters
    Me llamo es Japon!
    -
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by fxdaigle View Post
    In windows 7 what worked for me was using the 32 bit version of AACS library . placed in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
    these are default locations. when I installed vlc I let it decide where to install.
    then I copied the config file to C:\Users\(my name)AppData\Roaming . to copy the config file I right clicked on get the keys link at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ and "save target as" (KEYDB.cfg) in the aacs folder that I created in the roaming folder which is at the path I showed you above.
    I tried version 2.0.5, 32bit and 64bit for Windows with .dll files. I feel dumb cuz I can't get it to work. I'll try differents bluray discs.

for the sake of us all: which version did you use? which bit edition...32 or 64? Do you have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installed? Which video codecs and/or filters installed? Which other media players installed? --edit-- Did you run VLC (vlc.exe) as Administrator?
    Last edited by petesimon; 14th Jan 2013 at 14:44.
    Me llamo es Japon!
    -
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hello,

I'm interested to read the encrypted Blu-rays with the portable version of vlc.
    About the dll I think is the same, copy in the directory of vlc, but what about the KEYDB.cfg that must normally copied in the %APPDATA%aacs/directory ?
    Somebody already tried with the portable version ?

best greetings
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by fxdaigle View Post

VLC now works like a charm and I can even select audio (english or french in my case) in the audio menu and subtitles in the video menu. this program works nice!
    Thanks for all your help!
    Thank you!!!
    I was finally able to make it work purfectly with your instruction!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have followed the instructions to the T... no good Win8 sux no DVD/Blu ray support idiots are smoking something... my touch screen is cool tho... kind of...

Okies to the point~

Most current build of VLC installed.
    Tried both 32 & 64 bit .dll files in the same folder that VLC is in.

*Note: VLC is in the x86 programs folder on Win8, me thinks its the prob*

In Windows 8 it is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

Created the /aacs folder in the roaming folder. check!

added: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\aacs\KEYBD.cfg
    via - %APPDATA% "file explorer" address bar

Note: I went back to my aacs folder after opening and closeing VLC a few times,
    just to make sure it wasn't just being mr. dummy head computer,
    and noticed that new files/folders had been created:
    aacs\vuk - a new folder
    aacs\vuk\855d3_god awlful bunch-O-numbers - a new file
    aacs\drl - a new file
    aacs\hrl - a new file

So I believe it tried to work but I get the same error as if I installed the wrong version of the .dll file

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Worked as advertized. A BIG Thank you. Mucho appreciated.

CMG3
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by tiMMa! View Post
    I have followed the instructions to the T... no good Win8 sux no DVD/Blu ray support idiots are smoking something... my touch screen is cool tho... kind of...

Okies to the point~

Most current build of VLC installed.
    Tried both 32 & 64 bit .dll files in the same folder that VLC is in.

*Note: VLC is in the x86 programs folder on Win8, me thinks its the prob*

In Windows 8 it is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

Created the /aacs folder in the roaming folder. check!

added: C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\aacs\KEYBD.cfg
    via - %APPDATA% "file explorer" address bar

Note: I went back to my aacs folder after opening and closeing VLC a few times,
    just to make sure it wasn't just being mr. dummy head computer,
    and noticed that new files/folders had been created:
    aacs\vuk - a new folder
    aacs\vuk\855d3_god awlful bunch-O-numbers - a new file
    aacs\drl - a new file
    aacs\hrl - a new file

So I believe it tried to work but I get the same error as if I installed the wrong version of the .dll file

I'm basically in the same position that you're in right now.

In fact I have both Windows 7 (64) and Vista (32) on separate computers. Trying these out with both and with the correct files for each (64 and 32). Everything is where they need to be regarding both set ups, In the VLC Directory (c:/Program Files(x86)/VideoLAN/VLC/libaacs.dll). The AACS folder was created in the Roaming Folder (Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/AACS/KEYDB.cfg). And in the AACS folder I've placed the "KEYDB.cfg".

And with the same results, none.

"This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."

This has been driving me nuts for years now...
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose this is worth repeating for others who will read it later.

If you get VLC to work to read BluRays, that is great.

If you don't get it working, well, there are no guarantees.

If you want guarantees, buy Total Media Theater. If you want free, then you roll the dice with VLC. There's not always a happy ending with using VLC for this task.
    Quote Quote