VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Finally finding a use for MKV (or in this case: MK3D), I have the one big question: How the heck do I make them?
    MKV: Merely Krappy Video.

Subbers, a request from an avid viewer: Either don't use mkv, or supply avi or mp4 as an alternative.

For those frustrated with converting MKV: http://www.immortalmusic.net/mkv/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    3DBDBuster (AIO package) or MKVToolnix, IIRC. Probably others...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    MKVToolnix does not have the option (unless it is hidden), and 3dbdbuster is -only- for 3D Blu-ray.

Subbers, a request from an avid viewer: Either don't use mkv, or supply avi or mp4 as an alternative.

Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shilar View Post
    3dbdbuster is -only- for 3D Blu-ray.
    That is insufficient for your needs because ...????

We're not very good at mind reading. Does your subject mean you want to make 3D MKV from 2D sources? "3D MKV: how to make it" is open ended. It sort of implies you have 3D BD as a starting point.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How the heck do I make them?
    Out of what? (source)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    3dbdbuster is -only- for 3D Blu-ray.
    That is insufficient for your needs because ...????

We're not very good at mind reading. Does your subject mean you want to make 3D MKV from 2D sources? "3D MKV: how to make it" is open ended. It sort of implies you have 3D BD as a starting point.
    I figured making a 3D MKV meant just that. If I wanted to rip a 3D Blu-Ray, I'd say "rip 3D BlD"

I'm using two AVIs with the left and right channels. It's either that or I can rip them from a 3D "interlaced" DVD (the old format). I don't know of any that rip the old-style 3D.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Scott
    MKVToolnix does not have the option (unless it is hidden), and 3dbdbuster is -only- for 3D Blu-ray.
    Mkvmerge part of mkvtoolnix. Video property "--stereo-mode". It's just an argument in the CLI command. I don't know why you would call that hidden unless you're unfamiliar with CLI apps.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Scott
    Mkvmerge part of mkvtoolnix. Video property "--stereo-mode". It's just an argument in the CLI command. I don't know why you would call that hidden unless you're unfamiliar with CLI apps.

Scott
    I am actually, so thank you for the help. Amazing it's the only use for MKV I found.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I try the stereomode flag... and found it -only- works for the "squeezed in" video file. I have two video files separate, and need the "TrackOperation" field, and cannot locate it. Any help locating and how to program it is appreciated.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, that's one of the faulty or incomplete features of MKV: it doesn't describe all the known (or unknown) ways of containing 2 views.
    Here's a short list of fairly common variations that aren't even accounted for:
    1. Separate (but linked) files
    2. Dual-muxed streams (I'm a big fan of this one )
    3. MVC (yes, it's within the video stream, but there should be a metadata flag to help the container parsers understand it)
    4. 2D+Z format (like Phillips WowVX)
    5. Side-by-side FULL or Top/Bottom FULL
    6. A file of captured HDMI 1.4 "FramePacking" stream
    7. Anaglyph (Blue/Yellow)
    8. SIS format

There are others.

So your choice is whether to use another format (maybe not even MKV) that will work with your system, that you can fully describe to the system, or to re-encode (to something like regular SbS (Anamorphically squeezed in 1/2).

AFA "TrackOperation" (which may or may not work the way you want it to), you are supposed to be able to use MKVToolnix's mkvpropedit (it's a CLI app) to apply this, but when I look at its CLI switches, I don't see it. Plus, I see on a few MKV dev forums that the TrackOperation hasn't fully been implemented in ANY MKV muxer yet (at least as of 1 yr ago).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that's one of the faulty or incomplete features of MKV: it doesn't describe all the known (or unknown) ways of containing 2 views.
    Here's a short list of fairly common variations that aren't even accounted for:
    1. Separate (but linked) files
    2. Dual-muxed streams (I'm a big fan of this one )
    3. MVC (yes, it's within the video stream, but there should be a metadata flag to help the container parsers understand it)
    4. 2D+Z format (like Phillips WowVX)
    5. Side-by-side FULL or Top/Bottom FULL
    6. A file of captured HDMI 1.4 "FramePacking" stream
    7. Anaglyph (Blue/Yellow)
    8. SIS format

There are others.

So your choice is whether to use another format (maybe not even MKV) that will work with your system, that you can fully describe to the system, or to re-encode (to something like regular SbS (Anamorphically squeezed in 1/2).

AFA "TrackOperation" (which may or may not work the way you want it to), you are supposed to be able to use MKVToolnix's mkvpropedit (it's a CLI app) to apply this, but when I look at its CLI switches, I don't see it. Plus, I see on a few MKV dev forums that the TrackOperation hasn't fully been implemented in ANY MKV muxer yet (at least as of 1 yr ago).

Scott
    I truely hope they implement it, since MKV is otherwise useless to me, as I could do the same 1/2 height thing in AVI or MP4.

Quote Quote