I'm using my flash drive to watch videos on my PS3. I've had no problems so far (I use mkv2vob; since my computer's too slow to encode Blu-rays I just download already converted movies online, and mkv2vob doesn't need to convert TV episodes that are in .MKV files [I guess because they weren't Blu-rays in the first place?], so that's been no trouble either) but now I want to watch an .MKV with soft subs. The PS3 doesn't actually recognize that the video has subtitles, so I thought I needed to hardcode the subtitles to get them to play.
I Googled around. People said to download MKVExtract and extract the subtitles that way. I did that. MKVExtract said "Extract OK." when it was done, but when I looked in the directory I specified, the file wasn't there. I tried extracting the subtitles along with the attached fonts, and the font files appeared, but again the subtitles weren't there.
I'm not sure what's going wrong. If it matters the subtitles are an .ASS file ("Track 3: subtitles, S_TEXT/ASS [eng]").
Any help is appreciated. I just recently figured out how to do this, so I'm frequently lost. If someone could tell me how I would go about playing the subtitles through my PS3 using my flash drive, that would be hugely appreciated as well!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Use multiavchd and output to ps3 and copy the avchd folder to the flash drive.I think,therefore i am a hamster.
Use MKVExtractGUI-2 to extract files/streams from an MKV, instead. Also, do you have mkvtoolnix installed? MKVExtractGUI/-2 require mkvtoolnix installed to the same directory as those programs.
You'll probably have to hardsub if you want to use the subtitles on your PS3. I don't know if the PS3 supports switchable XSubs in AVI/DivX files, though, or whether or not softsubs are supported in streaming solutions like PS3 Media Server.
(Edit: AVIAddXSubs' description seems to indicate the PS3 does support XSubs.)If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
johns0: I did that and played the episode from the STREAM folder, but the subtitles didn't appear.
Ai: Yeah, I'm using MKVExtractGUI-2, and I do have MKVtoolnix installed. (MKVEXtractGUI-2 is in the directory "MKVtoolnix".)
Yeah, I was pretty sure I had to hardsub. Even if I were able to extract the subtitles, though, I don't know how I'd do that. Have you got any ideas?
Are you using the latest versions of both MKVExtractGUI-2 and mkvtoolnix? I think there was an issue or two with the way the newest versions of mkvtoolnix regarded the streams, and there have been one or two new versions of MKVExtractGUI-2 somewhat recently, but I don't know if it was fixed, or not.
Perhaps there's a way to use the command-line version of mkvextract to extract all the streams from an MKV, rather than picking and choosing. I don't have experience with anything other than the GUI versions, though. (and I'm not at a system with it installed, or any MKVs, at the moment, so I can't check. )If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
I do have the latest version installed, yes. Should I try to find a previous version or something, or should I look into this command line version?
I'd still wonder if all the streams could be 'brute-force' extracted with mkvextract.
You can try uninstalling mkvtoolnix and MKVExtractGUI-2, and installing earlier versions (at least two versions back for both, perhaps), but I couldn't guarantee it would work.
The latest version(s) of mkvtoolnix appear to have changed the way the streams in an MKV are numbered, confusing some programs, or so I've read.If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
I'm having similar problems, though I'm watching on a PC using GOM player (I am partial to it) to watch converted .avi files.
I'm using XviD4PSP 5 to convert from .mkv to .avi, and then MKVExtractGUI-2 (used from XviD4PSP 2, and from mkvtoolnix) to extract the subtitles from the .mkv files. It says the extraction was "ok" and i get the .sub and .idx files from the streams that I selected (one ends up being the actual subs, the other is the titles of buildings and whatnot in japanese). When I go to use them with my player (and I've trying VLC for this purpose) I get no subtitles.
Is there something that I'm doing wrong or there a conversion process that isn't being adhered to?
Try SPlayer portable. Name the idx and sub files with the same base name as the movie. Put a shortcut to SPlayer in your SendTo folder. Now you can right click any video to play in SPlayer. I say use Portable because the installed version had an issue when uninstalled. It left orphaned file type associations. I use portable and SendTo. That way I don't have to associate video files to use it. It may have been fixed by now but no reason not to use portable anyway.
movie.mkv movie.idx movie.sub all in the same folder, SPlayer should pick up the idx/sub subs.http://www.FavesSoft.com
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx
@MilesAhead - Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that player.
Update - Extracted the non-working .sub/.idx files, and then used VobSub's SubReSync to convert them to .srt files that are working the way they're supposed to. Compared to SubRip it was a much easier process. still had to manually input some letters/words, but not nearly as much when using SubRip. Going this route even allows me to hopefully correct the horrendously off subtitling from the translation.
Still hoping for a resolution as to just extracting the .sub/.idx files though