VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In the past I would use DVD shrink to shrink down a dvd size. Does anyone know of a free Blu-Ray Shrink program that does a really good job. I just got a blu ray burner this week and im ready to test it out. Clarification I need to shrink a 50GB to 25GB as most discs are 50 and I have blank 25gbs. Also what is the best blu ray ripper to use?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by halomaster56 View Post
    IAlso what is the best blu ray ripper to use?
    DVDFab HD Decrypter or AnyDVD HD Decrypter. If you buy anything else (some people do), you've thrown your money in the trash, guaranteed.

If you need free and can live with the fact that it will be 6 months behind the paid version, there's a free version of DVDFab you can try. It will NOT be able to rip some BD discs as soon as they are released though and you'll have to wait for the free version to eventually get the updates you need, 6 or so months later. It depends on the studio that released the discs.

If you buy DVDFab you may get nickeled and dimed to death whereas AnyDVD is more upfront about its charges. However, AnyDVD recently went through some weird periods where its website basically vanished for several days and it has been dogged with rumors (untrue) that it is going out of business, not providing updates, etc. DVDFab is updated more regularly. AnyDVD is still in business and they do provide updates. It's hard to say which to go with. I went with AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
    1. AnyDVD HD to remove protections and BD Rebuilder to shrink it down to fit on a BD-R SL disc.
    2. In some cases just using AnyDVD HD and Clown_BD will also drop down the size to fit on an SL blank. Create a movie-only backup with the unnecessary audio & subs stripped out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab and Anydvd are good, I tried both over the years but always stuck with Fab, But I did have 2 movies lately where neither would work as soon as the movie came out on dvd, Now both programs always came thru with updates, but for those 2 movies I tried a program called Idea DVD Copy, Last week when the new Twilight movie came out I first tried the new Fab and it didn't work so I tried Idea DVD Copy because according to their site they had a fix for it 3 days before the release, It worked perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since your using BD25's you should use BDrebuilder in Highspeed BD25 mode,it will nearly cut the time of your encodes in half.
    Quote Quote  
  6. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Tried to erase message - found the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another vote for DVDFAB to copy the files to the hard-drive, BDREBUILDER for the main-movie shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also looked at Blue-Cloner, But I'm waiting to hear or read more results from members and forums before dropping anymore money since DVDFab works great but I do like their 8 version program better then the 9 version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    My first foray into bd copy.

I use Dvdfab9 - shrinks and copies to hdd.

A 43gb movie down to 23gb.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFAB PIC 1,5,14.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	22576  

Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Johnmentzer19702006 View Post
    Try Blue-Cloner
    He is just some spammer!!

He is new and made 3 post's, all saying to try this crapware!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    I also looked at Blue-Cloner, But I'm waiting to hear or read more results from members and forums before dropping anymore money since DVDFab works great but I do like their 8 version program better then the 9 version.
    but I do like their 8 version program
    I thought I would look at Dvdfab8, but can't get it to download (tried3 different browsers.)

Tried to dl it from mfrs site.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by Johnmentzer19702006 View Post
    Try Blue-Cloner
    He is just some spammer!!

He is new and made 3 post's, all saying to try this crapware!!!
    That's alright, I have reported him...he won't last long...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Psco2007, Here try this it worked for me and go to the bottom of the page on the left side and you will see a download botton, http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm
    Quote Quote  
  14. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reply,

That was the link I tried yesterday- maybe they were having a problem, as it worked today.
    It seems to be no different from DVDFAB and I don't see where it will shrink Blurays.

I'll stick with DVDFAB9.

Thanks again,

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFAB 9 is good also, But I wouldn't shrink a bluray with it, It is not as good as BDRebuilder plus it puts more wear on your bluray player/recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  16. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Tarzan,

I tried Bdrebuilder, doing a test on my bd disc.

Got this error.

What did I do wrong?
    DVDFAB 9 had no problem with it (as in my screen shot above.)

Thanks,

Paul

I think the error is because it is copy-protected.
    I can't use Anydvd ( unless I pay,trial expired)

That's why I use Dvdfab9

Ok, I opened Dvdfab Passkey 8.1 and it is now working properly.

Thanks for the tip.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	conspirator bdrebuilder pic.jpg
Views:	6022
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	22600  

Last edited by Psco2007; 6th Jan 2014 at 23:13.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you've mounted it on a VCD? When you download BDRB, you need to follow directions explicitly as to the versions of Haali, Ffdshow, and the other programs required to make it work. Sometimes you have to reload one or all of them. Once you get it working it will continue forever......there are several forums devoted to BDRB, although Doom9 seems to be off the air.
    Quote Quote  
  18. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    After downloading Dvdfab9, it works perfectly, and shrinks to under 25gbs.

Of all the programs I investigated, this one is the easiest and most user-friendly.
    Quote Quote