VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1.(Most Important) Im looking to do some light video editing (Maybe 5-6 instances of 1080 30fps ontop each other on the timeline and a few effects)
    2.Some DAW work in Ableton
    3.(Least Important) Maybe some gaming if possible. Doesnt have to be on Ultra

I need some help to know if my unit is up to spec and are my componant matched up correctly.
    I have a budget of $700 and already have 26" 720p LCD, Wireless Mouse and Keyboard, DVD Drive and 1TB Ext HD. Im planning to buy this next Thu. from Micro Center and this is what i have so far. I think this is a link into my checkout list on Micro Center.com
    http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx?RedirectUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.microcenter.com

If that link doesnt work:

Intel Core i7 2600K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor 279.99
    SKU: 200154

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard $119.99/$69.99 w MB
    SKU: 812289

Corsair
    Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) $59.99
    SKU 403980

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler $36.99
    SKU 888438

Cooler Master TC102 Mid Tower ATX Computer Case with 500W Power Supply$36.99
    SKU 417642

Manhattan 60-in-1 Internal 3.5" Bay USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader/Writer $14.99
    SKU 661504

Enermax LEPA Series 120mm Sleeve Bearing Case Fan $3.99 (4 quantity)$15.96
    SKU: 179838

Cooler Master Silent 140mm Case Fan Cooler Master Silent 140mm Case Fan $12.99
    SKU: 594820

XFX HD677XZNLC AMD Radeon HD 6770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card $129.99

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That setup will do you fine but get a better psu,i got a antec 4 rail 750w for $50 with free shipping so there are better psu you can find.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can save $15 on the RAM if u go to newegg

RAM

save another $15 on the CPU Cooler...read around online and see that the Hyper 212 Plus and the Evo have virtually 0 differences...your talkin maybe .5 degree C in temp difference...save the money and get a 212 Plus

CPU Heatsink

you can save $35 if you get the video card at newegg

Video Card

I agree with johns0...get another power supply...one thats at least bronze certified
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ram and Video Card: OK i will check that out, maybe i can get em to price match.

CPU Heatsink: I cant find that EVO one you suggested, and is it quite? I need quite for audio recrding purposes.
    And do i really even need this CPU Heatsink? Will the one that come with the i7 suffice?

The motherboard says it need atleas 430W. Should i be lookin for 430W or above?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are not against using a different brand of RAM, and if it's compatible with the MB you are going to use, Micro Center carries this:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360527

I have it on a couple of my PC's, and it works very well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. no im not against any of it..My original budget is 700 and i still dont have a Hard Drive. Thanks for the savings.

As far as that Heat sink goes..i dont plan on over clocking(never even tried it and most likely wont) do i really need it with all the 4x 120mm and 140mm fans that will be in the case?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can use the retail hsf with the i7. no one claims it's quiet. for near noiseless fans and a hsf look into noctua. they are what i use, but they are not cheap.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think ill see how it goes without the heat sink and upgrade that if needed.

Now it seems that i need to scrap the case and get a seperate power supply

Well im back down to $538.93 without the Case, PSU and Hard Drive.

You guys suggestion have been A1..thank you..Im not so much con cerned about the Drive, they seen to be non-negotiable right now.

But some help on the Case and PSU would be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy the hsf you listed,the stock hsf is crap and will get very hot while encoding and don't bother overclocking with the stock hsf if you ever do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what size case? micro, mid, full tower?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think the motherboard is an ATX. At most ill have two hard drives in there. I dont think ill need a big one. I dont care for flashing lights either. Considering one of these $19-25 cases. But im sure you guys would know better than me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Buy the hsf you listed,the stock hsf is crap and will get very hot while encoding and don't bother overclocking with the stock hsf if you ever do.

never tried mine but anandtech tested it to 4.4ghz oc and found it just fine.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your choice of video card is a fairly short one so it should fit in just about any case.

this thermaltake is pretty cheap for a well known brand mid-tower after $10 rebate with free shipping. today only.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133094
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the component i wouldn't go cheap on is the power supply. get a decent ocz, seasonic, corsair or equivalent. something like this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
    --
    Quote Quote  
  15. Anything in the $50-55 range for PSU that will work? By the way im going with that case you recommended
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the one i linked to above is 50 after rebate. + 6 shipping.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks everybody for your patience.

If i can get this PSU selected ill be done.

Can yall take a look at these two. I selected them from the name brands yall mentioned.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/compare_products.phtml?search_id=f4037a94bf9dc1722aa1bef5df89ce03

Are they suitable? I think the more expensive one even has a rebate.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The link you provided is out of date,no products to compare.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sorry. The two in question were:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0348766

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0303417

Both the Brand names were mentioned in this thread, though im not sure if these supply enough power.
    If not i will purchase the one aedipuss chose.

I was trying to keep this build inexpensive and it has proven to be tougher than id imagined.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in today's email from newegg they are having a special on a 600watt ocz. if you use this promo code EMCNHJC23 for $10 off and send in the rebate the final cost is $39.99 with free shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL021712..._-17341017-L0A
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you fellas for helping me wit this build. I decided to go with the i5 2500K because the extra hundred woulda pushed me to the $800 dollar range. It took me damn near 12hours to install. (Trouble Shooting) The computer wouldnt boot and kept saying CPU Fan Error! After doing some looking. Ifound the everybody have a different solution to the problem, which point to the motherboard. My solution: Take the Cooler Master Hyper 212 off and put the stock heatsink cpu fan on. I'll be returning the Hyper 212.

Intel Core i5 2500K
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX
    Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600
    XFX HD677XZNLC AMD Radeon HD 6770
    WD Caviar Blue Sata 6.0 500GB
    OCZ Modxstream pro 600
    Cooler Master Hyper 212
    Thermaltake V4Black case
    and Five 120mm fans

Total: $699.95 at Micro center and about $80 worth of rebates not yet recieved.

One last question. In Device Manager under "Other Devices" there are exclamation mark next to Ethernet controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller and Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.

Do these have to do with the motherboard and how can i correct this?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you plugged the hsf into the wrong header and plugged the stock hsf in the right header,i did that once thinking the Cooler Master Hyper 212 was faulty until i double checked the connections.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Figured it out. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most of those exclamation points in hardware should go away if you install the chipset inf driver from intel.
    --
    Quote Quote