+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WombleMeter.PNG
Views:	271
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	10958

Using Womble's DVD Editor tool in this MPEG Video Wizard DVD software to author some digital TV recordings. As you can see in the screenshot, the bar is all blue meaning it should just be doing a stream copy. But it is re-encoding parts of them, to the point that the resulting folder won't fit on a DVD5.

The original video bitrate for the first file is 2829 kbps and it ends up as 3096.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.PNG
Views:	1173
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	10959Click image for larger version

Name:	After.PNG
Views:	1084
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	10960

I also compared the two files using AviSynth with Subtract(V1,V2).Levels(127, 1, 129, 0, 255) and it's clear where it's recoding. It pulsates between copied and changed, about every half-second.

I have "Allow export with nonstandard DVD format" checked and "Gop size compliance for DVD recording" unchecked. The files that I'm importing were actually created with Womble in the first place (I cut the commercials using it, first).

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Brad; 2nd Mar 2012 at 21:00. Reason: Fixed using a version sent by email support
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is very interesting -- I can't say that I've ever seen this problem before. Seeing as those are the default options of the program, I've never known them to cause issue, but perhaps it is possible.

I rarely use the "DVD" portion of MPEG Video Wizard DVD -- so perhaps it is the bar? if you put the same video in the timeline, hit the export button from there, and click details, does it also report no re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a bug. You may need to contact Womble for help with this. Also, why do you think this is a "nonstandard DVD format"? 704x480 is valid for NTSC DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It could be a bug. You may need to contact Womble for help with this. Also, why do you think this is a "nonstandard DVD format"? 704x480 is valid for NTSC DVD.
    I don't think he believes that it he is using a non-standard format, just concerned that leaving the option checked could cause some kind of re-encoding for some unforeseen reason. That's actually the opposite intention of the option -- it allows for passing video in non-DVD spec resolutions without re-encoding. So that shouldn't be an issue here.

Based on your post, assuming that all of the videos you are working with have all of the same characteristics in terms of bitrate and resolution, I'm guessing it is also a bug, as no re-encoding should occur. As I said before, go ahead and check it out in the non "DVD" part of the program, just drop your videos in the regular timeline and use the standard export module. The details option on this side also uses the red/blue bars to indicate re-encoding, but gives some additional detail. Make sure everything is on the up and up there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try unchecking "Allow export with nonstandard DVD format". Maybe there is a bug where it re-encodes non-standard DVD input even though one would think it would not. Or maybe the program is confused because your input video is valid but you warned it that it would not be. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a program behaving in an unexpected way because a human gave it input that the programmer assumed would never happen ("Nobody in their right mind would ever check the box for nonstandard DVD and then actually input valid DVD files, right?").
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    ... It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a program behaving in an unexpected way because a human gave it input that the programmer assumed would never happen ("Nobody in their right mind would ever check the box for nonstandard DVD and then actually input valid DVD files, right?").
    Now that's an understatement.

I suspect a bug too, less because it's reencoding than that the output won't fit on the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The bitrate info is just a flag in the file. It's not an actual reading of the bitrate use.
    So you can't really go off that.
    Unless I"m missing something.

The Avisynth analysis was good, however.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's true, Mediainfo doesn't scan the file and the bitrate reading may not be accurate, but the filesize is significantly larger: 592MiB vs. 544MiB which suggests higher bitrate

Does it make a difference if you use "normal" settings ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    I rarely use the "DVD" portion of MPEG Video Wizard DVD -- so perhaps it is the bar? if you put the same video in the timeline, hit the export button from there, and click details, does it also report no re-encoding?
    Yes, and in that case it really doesn't re-encode it (as confirmed by AviSynth comparison). That doesn't allow me to make a DVD though.

The GOP length is considerably longer than DVD allows, but that's why I have the "Gop size compliance" option unchecked.

Try unchecking "Allow export with nonstandard DVD format".
    I tried this and authored just the first file alone. Still re-encoded with fully-blue bar. I also tried checking the "Gop size compliance" option, same thing. I thought that would at least turn the bar red but nope.

I installed Womble's EasyDVD trial and found the same thing. No surprise as it appears to be based on the same engine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by vaporeon800

Yes, and in that case it really doesn't re-encode it (as confirmed by AviSynth comparison). That doesn't allow me to make a DVD though.
    Yeah, not much help for authoring DVDs, but at least it confirms that there is an issue with the program itself and that it is isolated to the DVD module. It shouldn't be re-encoding in any case as you've described -- it doesn't show it on the bar and the whole point of leaving the "Gop size compliance" option unchecked is to force it not to re-encode non-compliant footage. So seems like you've got all bases covered.

I'd submit it to Womble, in my experience they are pretty swift with dealing with problems and issuing updates. In the meantime, you can always use another program to author the video.

I do still love this program -- it definitely has some quirks and they sometimes overreach in terms of features that are not implemented well -- but it does a few things REALLY well and allows for a lot more productivity with certain tasks than most other NLEs I've used. Personally I'm hoping for a version totally compatiable with the Windows 7 and a 64-bit version
    Last edited by robjv1; 17th Feb 2012 at 01:32.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    With a few emails to their helpful Support, along with submitting a sample video, I can confirm they have fixed this in a pre-release version.

I assume it will be rolled into the next official update, whenever that may be.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Awesome! Thanks for following up on it.
    Quote Quote