VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To increase the audio volume of movie files, I do the following:
    For avi-xvid-mp3/ac3 I use virtualdubmod - video copy - audio volume increase. This is for 2 ch. and have no idea about doing it for 5.1 ac3.
    For mkv-h264-aac, I convert the audio to ac3 using popcorn audio converter so that it plays in wdtv media player. But, could n't get the volume increased to the desired level.
    Normalizing is possible in RipBot264, but here video copy feature is not available which results in re-encoding.
    I didn't find a way to increase the volume when I use eac3to GUI.
    I use windows 7 - 32 bit. Can anyone suggest me better methods / free software to get the volume increase.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use XMediaRecode to convert the video to h264 as well as to increase the ac3 or aac volume. I normally set all my volume in recode to 250%.

Makes a big difference.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I doubt if volume can be increased for 5.1 ch. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion and definitely, will try that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    I use XMediaRecode to convert the video to h264 as well as to increase the ac3 or aac volume. I normally set all my volume in recode to 250%.

Makes a big difference.

Tony
    I didn't know this. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shans View Post
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post

Makes a big difference.

Tony
    I didn't know this. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
    Tried XMediaRecode - video copy ; audio was kept same but increased the volume to 250% But, the result was disappointing and not played at all. I don't know where I went wrong. I have haali media splitter, mkv toolnix, ac3 filter in my system. Running Windows 7. I tried both 5.1 Ch and stereo but to no avail. Can you help me to sort out this.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not sure if this is any help, but the guy here was doing it on 2004:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=221026

Just remux with your video. See how it goes. I've not tested it by the way but the guy's happy so it probably works fine.

Edit: Yes, it is for AC3 5.1...and yes it probably is old hat but I've never had to do it!
    Last edited by transporterfan; 18th Feb 2012 at 21:57.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Not sure if this is any help, but the guy here was doing it on 2004:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=221026

Just remux with your video. See how it goes. I've not tested it by the way but the guy's happy so it probably works fine.

Edit: Yes, it is for AC3 5.1...and yes it probably is old hat but I've never had to do it!
    Thanks for providing me the link. Gone thro that. It appears that it is for AC3 audio in AVI container. I need rather for audio files in MP4 / mkv. Anyway, thanks again for your time.

As someone pointed out in this forum, I used an old version XMediaRecode version 2333. It works fine. Problem solved. Thanks to cal_tony.
    Last edited by shans; 19th Feb 2012 at 01:52. Reason: Problem solved by using old version
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by shans View Post
    ... As someone pointed out in this forum, I used an old version XMediaRecode version 2333. It works fine. Problem solved. Thanks to cal_tony.
    Hi Shans,

I was looking for something else and I came across your Thread ... and I was curious about ...

Q1: Which Version of XMediaRecode were using before switching to Version 2333?

Q2: Are you using the Portable version or the Installer one?

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonwk View Post
    Originally Posted by shans View Post
    ... As someone pointed out in this forum, I used an old version XMediaRecode version 2333. It works fine. Problem solved. Thanks to cal_tony.
    Hi Shans,

I was looking for something else and I came across your Thread ... and I was curious about ...

Q1: Which Version of XMediaRecode were using before switching to Version 2333?

Q2: Are you using the Portable version or the Installer one?

Thanks,

G!
    A1: I used a latest version, which I deleted later once I found satisfactory output using Version 2333.

A2: I use the Installer one.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I just leave the volume as it is when encoding and use gain adjustment in my video player (smplayer), usually 250%.

That's not really a good idea for music but I use vlc for audio.
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you're mixing down to stereo you should probably "normalize" the audio. I use foobar2000 for most audio conversions. When I'm converting to MP3 (where multichannel is mixed down to stereo) I then run MP3Gain's "maximum no clip" function on the MP3 files and reduce the volume of those which need it. Not all multichannel audio produces clipping when mixed to stereo, but much of it will clip a little bit.
    When is comes to converting multichannel audio to multichannel, I usually don't bother "normalizing" it either. In fact the more episodic type TV shows I encode, the less I'm likely to change the volume. I'd rather keep them all the same level.

Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I just leave the volume as it is when encoding and use gain adjustment in my video player (smplayer), usually 250%.

That's not really a good idea for music but I use vlc for audio.
    250%?? Sounds like a nice recipe for distortion. VLC's maximum is 200%, which is probably not far behind. Unless they have some sort of anti-clipping protection built in?
    The video and audio players I use only go to 100%, but fortunately the volume control on my PC's speakers seems to work as advertised.....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Convert to wav, use foobar "Dynamic range tester" for max peak rates of ea channel.
    Apply gain to the stereo track with Weiss Saracon to -0.10 below the maximum peak of either separate channels...
    Quote Quote