VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used some filters to increase the quality and remove picture noise of my standard definition MPEG 2 videos. They use a maximum bitrate of 20 Mbps. They are still standard definition then I would like to put them on Bluray.

Does Bluray support standard definition bitrates higher than the maximum of 9.8Mbps allowed for DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes it does, but you get better compression using AVC instead of MPEG2
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is there any official page anywhere that confirms that? All I can seem to find is that Bluray supports high bitrates but it doesn't say if that's just for HD or SD Blurays.

I'd love to do AVC but I can't find any program that works properly so at the moment I'm forced to use MPEG2.

I'm using Avisynth with HC Encoder to improve the quality of my MPEG2 videos. Then I use multiAVCHD to make a Bluray.

Could you suggest a program that supports AVC that works with Avisynth?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The official specs are not published publically, it's $5000 for a 1year license . There are a few people with access to it at doom9. You can ask specific questions there.

I'm 100% sure the official SD AVC blu-ray spec supports those bitrates, and 99% sure MPEG2 SD blu-ray does as well. Personally I have made SD blu-ray from AVC, but not re-encoded MPEG2 (it's a waste of bitrate IMO if you are re-encoding, you may as well do it right with AVC)

x264 will work with avisynth , there are many GUI's for it
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK thanks. It's just that I was getting worried when in HC Encoder there was a "make BD compliant" button which when pressed changed the bitrate to 9,800 Mbps (the DVD maximum).

I tried MeGUI H.264 but I couldn't get it working and I could't even see the filter it was talking about. This was the tutorial I used:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MeGUI_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page4.html

I saw a h264 version of HC Encoder but it only supported h264 streams. My videos are MPEG2s that I need to convert to h264.

Could you please suggest some programs I could use and do you know of any tutorials?
    Quote Quote  
  6. There is only 1 free h264 encoder that makes compliant blu-ray streams, x264. The streams pass verification for pro authoring applications. I use the command line based on the parameters in these links, then author in separate programs

http://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/home
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533

You might find it easier to use multiavchd for everything; including authoring & encoding; I think it will accept avs scripts . But it hasn't been updated in a long time, and may have problems

I haven't looked at it in any detail, but Puzzler made a guide here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339799-Encoding-SD-video-with-H-264-to-be-100-Blu-ray-compliant
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For Blu-Ray 1x speed is defined as 36 Mbps. Most players can reach 54 Mbps (video only). This is for all approved codecs at all approved resolutions.
    http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_capacity_video

Note that this IS NOT true when using DVDR media in a Blu-Ray player. All Blu-Ray players support 1x DVD playback @~9 Mbps. Many support the so called "AVDHD disc" (DVDR or BD media). For AVCHD disc on DVDR media, 2x Speed (~18 Mbps) is minimal player requirement. Some players can reach 24 Mbps required to play AVCHD camcorder top speeds. Some can reach 25 Mbps required for HDV (MPeg2) format. Most will NOT reach 28 Mbps required for Panasonic's h.264 1080p/60 camcorder formats. Max DVDR playback bit rate above 2x needs to be tested for each player. Future Version 2 Blu-Ray players will be required to support AVCHD Version 2 formats including 1080p/60 @ 28 Mbps using DVDR media.

If your current codec is MPeg2, there will be loss converting to h.264. If your format is interlace, there isn't much benefit to conversion to h.264 if quality is a concern.
    Last edited by edDV; 14th Feb 2012 at 14:40.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    OK thanks. It's just that I was getting worried when in HC Encoder there was a "make BD compliant" button which when pressed changed the bitrate to 9,800 Mbps (the DVD maximum).

I tried MeGUI H.264 but I couldn't get it working and I could't even see the filter it was talking about. This was the tutorial I used:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MeGUI_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page4.html

I saw a h264 version of HC Encoder but it only supported h264 streams. My videos are MPEG2s that I need to convert to h264.

Could you please suggest some programs I could use and do you know of any tutorials?

I think your memory is faulty, but if you can back up what you say, I'd love to see it and be proven right. HCenc has a button that says "make DVD compliant" which would indeed limit your bitrate, but there is no such button for BD compliance. And I can find no evidence of any H.264 version of HCenc.

I've been messing with MeGUI a bit and unless you are pretty good at AviSynth, you will probably have issues. The AviSynth files that a recent run generated for me was full of outright errors and I had to manually fix some things in it. It's a starting point for people who know how to do AviSynth but no more. The Digital Digest tutorial is as good as any I can find. You probably need to do the hard work to get comfortable with AviSynth first. I'd suggest using it with HCenc to do some MPEG-2 encodes to get you going before you try H.264. I'm hardly a master of AviSynth but I can use it for simple tasks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I think your memory is faulty, but if you can back up what you say, I'd love to see it and be proven right. HCenc has a button that says "make DVD compliant" which would indeed limit your bitrate, but there is no such button for BD compliance. And I can find no evidence of any H.264 version of HCenc.
    The beta has the button. I don't know how well it works for BD encoding, and I've never heard of h264 version either

Click image for larger version

Name:	bd.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	10928
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    If your current codec is MPeg2, there will be loss converting to h.264. If your format is interlace, there isn't much benefit to conversion to h.264 if quality is a concern.
    He is filtering a VHS source, so there will be benefit since he is re-encoding

Actually SD blu-ray only supports interlace, native progressive is not in the specs for SD, only for HD (but you can do pulldown with fake interlace flags or progressive SD)

Interlaced h.264 encoding is far superior to interlaced MPEG2 encoding, both in subjective tests and objective metrics, especially with MBAFF .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Actually SD blu-ray only supports interlace, native progressive is not in the specs for SD, only for HD (but you can do pulldown with fake interlace flags or progressive SD)

Interlaced h.264 encoding is far superior to interlaced MPEG2 encoding, both in subjective tests and objective metrics, especially with MBAFF .
    Agreed if encoding from a digital intermediate such as Huffyuv but I thought he said the file was already MPeg2.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Agreed if encoding from a digital intermediate such as Huffyuv but I thought he said the file was already MPeg2.

It doesn't matter if it's encoding from a digitial intermediate because avisynth frameserves uncompressed video

1) interlaced MPEG2 source => avisynth filtering => interlaced AVC
    2) interlaced MPEG2 source => avisynth filtering => interlaced MPEG2

Option 1 will give significantly better quality at similar bitrates . On average about 1.5-2.0 dB SNR difference at typical bitrate ranges from 5-15Mb/s for SD, or 8-40Mb/s for HD. That's huge. That translates to about 50% better in that bitrate range. The discrepancy is much larger at lower bitrates
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The beta has the button. I don't know how well it works for BD encoding, and I've never heard of h264 version either
    Actually, he's changed the beta since I last got it. I also use that very version of the beta, but my copy (about 1 year old) does not have the BD compliance button. Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=poisondeathray;2141357]

If you have the chance to rip Battlestar Galactica season 4.5 from BluRay (I can only comment that this is true for this particular season and may or may not be true for others) and run it through BDRebuilder, you will see a secondary 480p video stream at 23.976 fps. Maybe the specs are actually more flexible than we have been led to believe.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

If you have the chance to rip Battlestar Galactica season 4.5 from BluRay (I can only comment that this is true for this particular season and may or may not be true for others) and run it through BDRebuilder, you will see a secondary 480p video stream at 23.976 fps. Maybe the specs are actually more flexible than we have been led to believe.

It's allowed for secondary , but not primary.

See chart in the 2nd link (doom9). (it's almost a carbon copy of the offical specs, but shh. don't tell anyone )

OT: I loved BSG for 1st 2 seasons, but just got horrible after that
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes sorry there's no h264 version of HC Encoder. I got it mixed up with DGAVCDec which only allows raw h264 streams, it doesn't allow MPEG2 to h264 conversions.

Just to be clear I have a VHS to DVD conversion which has compression artefacts in and picture noise. I use HC Encoder to remove those problems and I end up with a really good quality MPEG2 file. I could then convert that to h264 but there's visible quality loss because I'm re-encoding twice. So I'm looking for something which works with Avisynth where I could convert the MPEG2 to h264 in 1 step.
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 14th Feb 2012 at 16:54.
    Quote Quote