VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you were going to paint a wall for a projector screen what would you use for a paint? Flat or satin or semi-gloss?
    My guess would be flat, but the person who is setting this up thinks satin. And is there a special paint available for this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. My vote is for semi-gloss as you would want the best reflector. Flat/satin paint absorbs light. That's why good screens have little glass balls embedded into them. To reflect light not absorb it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    My vote is for semi-gloss as you would want the best reflector. Flat/satin paint absorbs light. That's why good screens have little glass balls embedded into them. To reflect light not absorb it.
    One would think so, but no. If you use a glossy paint surface, you will get a projected image that includes an annoying ball of bright white in the picture, resulting from a reflection of the tip of the projector lens itself. Good screens deflect this lens reflection with their tiny beaded surfaces.

Check out this link for a better solution:
    http://www.screenpaintsupply.com/ez-screens-c-2.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply's. We answered our own question. We projected on a flat white wall & the picture looked fantastic. We bought a used JVC RS1 and the picture is the best I've ever seen from a projector. We filled a wall 12' wide & it looked better than I've seen at any theater I've ever been too (and I use to own a movie theater).
    Quote Quote