VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi friends,
    I have captured several episodes from TV shows and I want to burn them into a DVD with Menus showing Season Numbers and Episode numbers.

The DVD Player Specifications:

Sony DVD/CD Player

DVP-NS575P

Precision Drive 3/DVD +RW/+R/-RW/-R/Playback
    2010 New LD650

(The above are the details I can see written on the DVD Player)

I want to know what type of DVD to buy and what should be its capacity and how to go about burning it.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. No one cares about your DVD player. Any DVD player should be able to play properly created DVDs. If you want fancy menus, you'll need a full fledged authoring program to author the DVD compliant video and audio you create yourself. If you can live with simple menus, try such programs as Avs2DVD or DVD Flick.

Buy DVD+/-R 4.37 GB discs (although the labeling will say 4.7 GB), and try and get a decent brand. I have no idea of the good brands available in India, if any. Burn to disc using ImgBurn and nothing else.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    No one cares about your DVD player. Any DVD player should be able to play properly created DVDs. If you want fancy menus, you'll need a full fledged authoring program to author the DVD compliant video and audio you create yourself. If you can live with simple menus, try such programs as Avs2DVD or DVD Flick.

Buy DVD+/-R 4.37 GB discs (although the labeling will say 4.7 GB), and try and get a decent brand. I have no idea of the good brands available in India, if any. Burn to disc using ImgBurn and nothing else.
    Thank you manono for your reply. I can live with simple menus. Thanks for the advice regarding the type of DVD to be bought. I guess if I burn using ImgBurn or Avs2DVD or DVD Flick, once I insert the DVD, it will automatically load and start playing (if it is a single movie on the disc) and present the Menu if it is a TV show and once I select the Menu options with the remote control, it will start playing. Am I right? Thanks once again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ImgBurn is a burning program only. Avs2DVD and DVDFlick and others are conversion programs and authoring programs, converting your source video in whatever format it's in, to DVD compliant audio and video, authoring it for DVD, and also creating simple menus for you.

Avs2DVD burns to disc using ImgBurn, so it can do everything. If you decide to use it, choose HCEnc as your video encoder, out of the several choices it'll offer you.

DVDFlick can also do everything and also burns using ImgBurn. There are several guides for its use found at the bottom of the DVDFlick link.

If you create menus for the TV episodes, when you place the finished DVD into your player, you should be taken to the menu first, where you can then choose the episode you want to play.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks a lot manono. Also what according to you are good DVD brands. I can then find them here and buy them. Most top brands are available here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    Thanks a lot manono. Also what according to you are good DVD brands.
    Here is the information you requested, but it's not according to me as I know nothing about the subject. Rather, it's straight from the acknowledged expert on the subject here on this site (who has the information on a different site):

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=harishkumar09;2141262]Thanks a lot manono. Also what according to you are good DVD brands. I can then find them here and buy them. Most top brands are available here.[/QUOTE

The best one is Taiyo Yuden (premium) but you have to get it online.
    The cost to ship to India is prohibitive - if you have any friends in the U.S. who might be able to bring it to you, that would be great.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=2&oq=TAIYO+YUDEN&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=taiyo+yuden+dvd-r
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just finished using DVD Flick to convert a single .AVI file to DVD. It wrote to a folder named "dvd" and inside it were an empty "AUDIO_TS "
    and a "VIDEO_TS" file containing VOB, IFO AND BUP files. It is playing well. What should be the next step ? Burn the files to a DVD-R disc using ImgBurn ?

Also, I clicked "Add Title" and loaded the AVI file. And then clicked "Edit Title" and under "General" tab, left everything as it is. The only thing I did was to select a thumbnail time.

I did nothing under "Chapters".

Under "Video Sources", I loaded the AVI file and then set "pixel aspect ratio" to default (is this correct) ? I also left "interlaced" unchecked. (Is this OK ?)

I did not load any "Audio Tracks" , but the movie file is present there.

I left "subtitle track" empty.

I am just burning one movie, and so are the above choices correct ? Will it autoplay on insertion or will a menu show up?

Also outside the "dvd" folder, I find the following files:

0.0.m2v
    titleo.mpg
    0.0.ac3
    and a few text files.

What do I do with these? Can I delete them? Should I burn only the files inside the "dvd" folder and how?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also I find that the original video stream in AVI according to MediaInfo was 1696 kbps, 720*304, but the VOB files have 3690 kbps and 720*480. Will this affect quality, generate artifacts or result in stretching? I have not seen any except some artifacts in some scenes which were possibly there in the original, but what about others?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    I just finished using DVD Flick to convert a single .AVI file to DVD. It wrote to a folder named "dvd" and inside it were an empty "AUDIO_TS "
    and a "VIDEO_TS" file containing VOB, IFO AND BUP files. It is playing well. What should be the next step ? Burn the files to a DVD-R disc using ImgBurn ?
    Yes, after testing it using a software DVD player (PowerDVD or some such), burn to disc using ImgBurn.
    Should I burn only the files inside the "dvd" folder and how?
    Yes, using ImgBurn and 'Write Files/Folders to Disc'. Browse for the DVD folder and burn.
    Will this affect quality, generate artifacts or result in stretching?
    No, no, and no.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    I just finished using DVD Flick to convert a single .AVI file to DVD. It wrote to a folder named "dvd" and inside it were an empty "AUDIO_TS "
    Yes, after testing it using a software DVD player (PowerDVD or some such), burn to disc using ImgBurn.
    Should I burn only the files inside the "dvd" folder and how?
    Yes, using ImgBurn and 'Write Files/Folders to Disc'. Browse for the DVD folder and burn.
    Will this affect quality, generate artifacts or result in stretching?
    No, no, and no.
    Thanks manono. I just successfully burned my first DVD, and I am grateful to you (and the other advisors) in this thread for the help. I just want to know if there are any specific settings I have to make in the numerous tabs (Information, Device, Options, Labels, Advanced) to get the best results, or do I just leave everything to default settings and Burn away ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I just leave everything at default settings. If anything is set up incorrectly for DVD burning (say, if I burn an AVI to disc and next want to burn another DVD), it'll warn me and offer to correct the settings.

If anything should be changed maybe someone else will come along and advise. There are quite a few guides to burning on the ImgBurn site. There's a link to them in the last guide on the ImgBurn page here on this site.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi guys, the DVD that I burned after following your advice played well on the DVD Player. But the following problems were reported:

1. There were black rectangular bars on the top and bottom of the screen, in other words the full screen was not used for the display.
    2. The audio and video were not synced properly during the first few minutes of the movie, and then it became alright.

Can you tell me how to avoid these two problems when I burn my next movie to DVD ?

Thanks in advance !
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    Also I find that the original video stream in AVI according to MediaInfo was 1696 kbps, 720*304...
    1. There were black rectangular bars on the top and bottom of the screen, in other words the full screen was not used for the display.
    720/304=2.37:1. It's supposed to have black bars above and below, even on a widescreen TV set.

Originally Posted by harishkumar09
    2. The audio and video were not synced properly during the first few minutes of the movie, and then it became alright.
    Maybe try AVS2DVD and see if you like the results any better. But you always take a chance when working with downloaded AVIs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks manono for your prompt reply. I guess AVS2DVD also has option to burn seasons and episodes with menus. Thanks once again.

I can find a guide to turn Blu-Ray to DVD using AVS2DVD, but no guide to convert AVI to DVD. Do you know of any good ones ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. And these are the different resolutions in which I have the episodes of different seasons of a TV Show. The resolutions vary sometimes even within a single season. Are there specific settings like letterbox or widescreen which I should choose to avoid or reduce the size of the black rectangles above and below when the DVD is played on a DVD Player ?

640 x 352

640 x 480

640 x 336

640 x 368

720 x 416

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Almost all TV shows are either 1.33:1 (640x480, 512x384, and the like) or 1.78:1 (most of your resolutions are variations of that). I suppose some series changed from 1.33:1 to 1.78:1 as time went by. Or maybe some were captured from standard def sources which are often cropped from the 1.78:1 high-def broadcasts. Anyway, if it were I, I'd encode the 1.33:1 eps (your 640x480 one) as 720x480/576 and 4:3, and all the rest as 720x480/576 16:9 with no black bars added. But the programs probably don't allow that degree of customization.

I don't know of any guides specific to AVI to DVD conversions using AVS2DVD. However, there's a huge thread devoted entirely to it and the author is very active here, so you might address any questions you have about the program there:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread?highlight=avs2dvd
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks manono, I will have a look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi manono when I try to burn the episodes, each episode as a separate "title" in DVD Flick, I end up getting the following error message:

Your projects DVD disc is full. You must remove titles or audio tracks, or a different target bitrate in order to be able to fit the contents of your project on to the target disc size specified. Are you sure you want to continue.

The total size all the video sources combined is 2.73 GB. All of them are 352x624. So what is the problem ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The total size all the video sources combined is 2.73 GB. All of them are 352x624. So what is the problem ?
    The size of the original files means nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  21. hech54 is correct. I don't use DVD Flick, but only recommend it because others think well of it. Here's a guide:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/AVI_to_DVD_using_DVD_Flick_page1.html

In the Project Settings is a box where you specify the final size. Did you set it to 4.3 GB? Maybe you're trying to fit too many episodes onto the DVD? What's the total running time or total length of your episodes? Maybe you can divide the episodes among 2 DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The size of the original files means nothing.
    So why did I get the error ? And how to resolve it ? What is the problem and the solution ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    hech54 is correct. I don't use DVD Flick, but only recommend it because others think well of it. Here's a guide:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/AVI_to_DVD_using_DVD_Flick_page1.html

In the Project Settings is a box where you specify the final size. Did you set it to 4.3 GB? Maybe you're trying to fit too many episodes onto the DVD? What's the total running time or total length of your episodes? Maybe you can divide the episodes among 2 DVDs?
    Hi manono, I did set the size to 4.3 GB. I am trying to fit FOUR episodes of Season-01, and each AVI file is 700 MB and each of them have a total running time of 1:30 hours (one and a half hours). Thanks.

And I did follow the guide that you mention in the link.
    Quote Quote  
  24. So you're trying to put 6 hours on a single DVD5? Kind of a lot. I'd recommend putting just 2 episodes. Or maybe try Avs2DVD. As I said, I haven't ever used DVD Flick myself, but it should be able to put all 6 hours.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks manono, I will try it. The problem with AVS2DVD is I don't have the time to go through the whole thread. Sadly there is no tutorial elsewhere. BTW, which software you use to convert AVS TO DVD ?
    Last edited by harishkumar09; 18th Mar 2012 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Me, I do it manually, with AviSynth scripts, an MPEG-2 encoder, Muxman, or DVDAuthorGUI when I want menus. There are many others here that put AVI TV episodes to DVD and maybe one will show up here. AlanHK likes to stick many hours of AVI on a single DVD so maybe he'll see the thread and offer advice.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hi guys, I have a TV series each of whose episodes had a frame rate of 25 frames/sec.

But the resolution varied,

Episodes 1,5,6 have a resolution of 640x352, and their bitrates are 966,962,964 kbps and aspect ratio of 16:9
    Episodes 2,3,4 have a resolution of 640x480, and their bitrates are 955,962,965 kbps and aspect ratio of 4:3

Now I want to burn these episodes in order, two episodes per DVD5.

Is it possible?

Or should I club episodes of similar resolutions and bitrates and aspect ratios together in one DVD5? While using "Add title" to add the videos in DVDFlick, is it mandatory that they all have common characteristics?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Me, I do it manually, with AviSynth scripts, an MPEG-2 encoder, Muxman, or DVDAuthorGUI when I want menus. There are many others here that put AVI TV episodes to DVD and maybe one will show up here. AlanHK likes to stick many hours of AVI on a single DVD so maybe he'll see the thread and offer advice.
    Six hours is extreme.
    You can do it if you use HCEnc and set a bitrate of about 1700.
    If you have a CRT TV, it might be acceptable, but on an LED TV the blurring would be more than distracting.

You can save more bits for the image if you trim the end credits and maybe the opening -- for a TV series you don't really need to sit through 2 minutes of the same introduction every time. Also I cut any "previously on" and previews, not just to save space but because I find them annoying and often spoilery.

Audio I do usually at 128 kbps stereo AC3.
    Put it all together with GfD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I have a TV series each of whose episodes had a frame rate of 25 frames/sec.

Episodes 1,5,6 have a resolution of 640x352, and their bitrates are 966,962,964 kbps and aspect ratio of 16:9
    Episodes 2,3,4 have a resolution of 640x480, and their bitrates are 955,962,965 kbps and aspect ratio of 4:3

Is it possible?

Or should I club episodes of similar resolutions and bitrates and aspect ratios together in one DVD5? While using "Add title" to add the videos in DVDFlick, is it mandatory that they all have common characteristics?

Thanks in advance!
    No idea if it will work in DVDflick, but I use GfD, and often put 4:3 and 16:9 all on the same disc.
    Note that commercial DVDs often have the feature in widescreen and "making of" extras in 4:3.

The bitrates and resolutions of the AVI files are quite irrelevant, and have no bearing on the bitrates of the MPEG files.

Just burn a DVD-RW if you want to try it out.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Hi guys, I have a TV series each of whose episodes had a frame rate of 25 frames/sec.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!
    No idea if it will work in DVDflick, but I use GfD, and often put 4:3 and 16:9 all on the same disc.
    Note that commercial DVDs often have the feature in widescreen and "making of" extras in 4:3.

The bitrates and resolutions of the AVI files are quite irrelevant, and have no bearing on the bitrates of the MPEG files.

Just burn a DVD-RW if you want to try it out.
    Hey AlanHK, I wanted to upload the same image as my avatar, and you beat me to it! In fact it is exactly the same still, at the same moment!
    Quote Quote