VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i currently have a Biostar A880GZ but its minimum memory voltage that will run on the motherboard is 1.6v @ 1333MHz, which is doing no favors for G.Skill ram rated 1600Mhz @ 1.5v.
    Biostar: A880GZ is compatible with Patriot, G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin and Kingston DDR3 memory.

Me: Is it compatible with DDR3 memory that runs at 1.35 volts?

Biostar: The motherboard minimum voltage is 1.6 volts. *You may purchase 1.35v memory, but it will run at 1.6 volts on our motherboard.
    i've done a bit of research and most seem to suggest its stable to use them together.

But before I test stability with this cpu/mobo/ram combo, i want to keep my mobo options open just in case issues arise.

what is a good budget one?

min requirements:
    $100-$150
    Sata III
    onboard video (any)
    FX ready, meaning the CPU will post/boot out of the box and no BIOS update is required.
    4-pin cpu power connector
    min memory voltage <= 1.5
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 10th Feb 2012 at 22:11.
    "A computer is never finished, you just run out of money."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    $100 to $150 isnt really budget but u can certainly find some good ones in that price range. Anything by Asus or Gigabyte should do the trick...none of thse have onboard video but are decent

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

heres an onboard video with promise in that price range

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131733
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure it's a m.b. problem?

Manufacturer Response:.
    Dear Customer

We are sorry to hear you had issues configuring memory. It is documented that AMD CPUs will only support ONE DIMM PER CHANNEL of DDR3-1600. It is not a memory limitation, it is a CPU limitation. You can find this information on the AMD webpage, specifically technical documentation of your CPU. If you would like to fill all slots of your motherboard, you should only use DDR3-1333 CL9. This is reading/research that should have been done before building a computer system.
    only that last one moontrash mentions with video list the memory as capable of being used in 4 all slots.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had an asus mb with 2 corsair ddr3-1600 that worked with no issues with a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    are you sure it's a m.b. problem?

Manufacturer Response:.
    Dear Customer

We are sorry to hear you had issues configuring memory. It is documented that AMD CPUs will only support ONE DIMM PER CHANNEL of DDR3-1600. It is not a memory limitation, it is a CPU limitation. You can find this information on the AMD webpage, specifically technical documentation of your CPU. If you would like to fill all slots of your motherboard, you should only use DDR3-1333 CL9. This is reading/research that should have been done before building a computer system.
    it is a board problem because i got that reply from the Biostar tech support.

as for the quote it doesn't make sense. what ram stick and cpu are they referring to in particular? everyone i've talked to hadn't bought up this issue about my situation when i mentioned a pair of g.skill 4gb 1600MHz with my FX 4100. in fact the fella(s) over at overclock.net seem to rave about ram sticks at or above 1600MHz as a good investment (for my board and cpu) if im looking for memory speed flexibity.

If it is true that the amd fx-4100 cpu will only support one dimm per channel of ddr-1600 i might as well get 1333 w/ tight timings...

anyway..

only that last one moontrash mentions with video list the memory as capable of being used in 4 all slots.
    frankly they all list the same thing AFAICT

does this one list it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131758

actually can't i just use two 4 gb 1600Mhz stick on two slots? i only need 8 gigs of ram
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post

does this one list it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131758

actually can't i just use two 4 gb 1600Mhz stick on two slots? i only need 8 gigs of ram
    Without clicking on a bunch of links to see what mobo your talking about ... does it have 2 or 4 slots for memory ??

Addon ... a few minutes have gone by ... yep it does have 4 slots ... wow ... mobos are changing ... only one PCI slot and did I see correctly ... no ide connections ?
    Last edited by lacywest; 11th Feb 2012 at 04:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    as you've probably noticed, I've decided to get the Asus M5A88-V Evo. I went to the download page of Asus website and I'm interested in downloading a few utilities. Can someone tell me what they're suppose to do and if they're worth using?

ASUS AI Suite V1.06.22
    ASUS TurboV EVO 1.02.35
    ASUS EPU V1.02.22
    AMD OverDrive Utility
    ASUS Update V7.18.03
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 25th Feb 2012 at 14:12.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the ASUS EPU along with the AI just regulate the CPU to save energy/electricity...its not integral if you dont use it. My Gigabyte board has something similar but i dont use it

ASUS TurboV EVO is just Asus' overclocking utility....its similar to the AMD overdrive...These aren't necessary to use but if you do, use these with caution. They pump up your processor's speed. There suppose to user friendly apps to overclock with because the normal way is to get into the BIOS and do it that way.I don't overclock anything so these aren't an issue for me.

I don't see any use for any of em personally
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ASUS Update is their BIOS update utility. I have never used the manufacture's utility to update the BIOS, so I can't comment on whether or not they are useful.
    Quote Quote