VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    About 6 GB of storage (or sometimes even less) is calculated by IB as taking up 97% of the disc, while in another case 7.7 or 7.8 GB is shown as taking up around 94% of the disc space. These were with Verbatim DLs, but could have been either video in authored VOBs / dvd structure or with data disks.

I have seen examples like this with single layer sizes also. Can someone explain this occasional discrepancy or inconsistency ? (I'm using IB ver. 2.5.4.0.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've never seen the first thing you mentioned (6 GB taking up about 97% of a DL disc) in ImgBurn whether I've burned DVDs or data discs so I cannot explain why you are seeing that unless there are some subdirectories that you are overlooking (maybe the names start with dots and Windows doesn't show them even though they are there).
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    It seems to me like these must have been mis-calcs of the space by IB . . . but this is infrequent, and very hard to backtrace after the fact. Next time I run into it, I'll try to keep the burned disc separate from others, until I have a chance to take a close look at the contents. And maybe I'll be able to take screen snapshots to document it.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The difference in used space Vs actual combined file size can come down to things like padding being added in order to create the layerbreak in the chosen position or file system overhead (if doing a data disc with lots of files).

ImgBurn is a program and it's unlikely to randomly make a mistake calculating sizes! Certainly much less so than a human anyway - and particularly one that might not fully appreciate how things operate behind the scenes.

You're also 2 versions behind btw. It's a waste of time trying to point out issues in anything but the latest version.
    Quote Quote