VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some Region 1 DVDs I wanted to convert to region 2. As I didn’t have any blank DVDs, I switched my laptop’s DVD R/W drive to from Region 2 to Region 1 to read them, and then used DVDShrink to save them as ISO files.

Now that I have some blanks, I tried to write them as Region 2 DVDs using my wife’s laptop. I used DVD shrink to convert the ISO files back to the VIDEO_TS folder + VOBs, and then ImgBurn to actually write them.

The problem is that I start getting errors about 80-90% through the burn process. I realise now, that even though I’ve done the region switch, the VOBs are still encoded as NTSC.... maybe this is why I’m getting the errors (although why it doesn’t complain at the start of the burn, I’m not sure).

So really my question is: what is the simplest way of converting my NTSC ISO files to PAL Region 1 DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, the burn errors are not because of the the vobs are ntsc. Probably crappy dvdr media. Try another brand.

And most european dvd players and tvs supports NTSC so I don't think you need to do any ntsc to pal. Just try make them region free with dvdshrink as you did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply...

I'm using Verbatim DVD-Rs, and I've tried 3 or 4 times, and the burn always fails near the end. I can't confirm if it fails at the same place for a given ISO, as I've tried different ISO files.

BTW, I haven't used DVDshrink for a while, and I downloaded version 3.2, but I notice that it no longer supports the burn. Instead it insists that I install Nero... I'm sure DVDshrink used to do the burn, so when did this change?

I'm currently having to use ImgBurn....
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try rip with DVDFab Decrypter instead and then burn the VIDEO_TS folder with Imgburn.

DVDShrink hasn't been updated for a long time and can't handle all dvds that well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the VideoHelp Tools page for DVD Shrink, there's a link for a modified version which calls Imgburn to do the burning. Or, if you prefer, you can simply export to an ISO, rather than burning directly.

The version of Nero the un-modified DVD Shrink wants is version 7 or earlier, I believe, but those versions don't work well (or at all) on newer versions of Windows.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm guessing you've found out by now that changing or eliminating the region code does NOT change whether the video on the disc is NTSC or PAL.....because they have nothing to do with each other.
    Just copy your discs with DVDFabDecrypter(yes it is a FREE portion of a program many people PAY for) then burn with ImgBurn(yes ImgBurn burns DVD folders(VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) and you'll end up with region free NTSC discs that should easily play in European equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Astronautilus View Post
    I have some Region 1 DVDs I wanted to convert to region 2. As I didn’t have any blank DVDs, I switched my laptop’s DVD R/W drive to from Region 2 to Region 1 to read them, and then used DVDShrink to save them as ISO files.
    This step was completely unnecessary for several reasons.
    1) Ripping programs don't care what region the DVD is in.
    2) The free VLC program ignores region codes. If you just want to watch your DVDs on a PC, install VLC. You do NOT need to change regions on the DVD drive to use VLC with any DVD.

DVDShrink is "abandonware" and has not been updated in many years. Its ripper is probably OK for most European DVDs but it will fail to rip region 1 DVDs made by Sony and Disney among others.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Don't even bother, have you tried playing them on your dvd player or if there is a region free hack for your dvd player, thats the way to do.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks everyone for all the help. Baldrick was right on the money when he talked about crappy media... I'd bought a pack of 10 Verbatim DVD-R in an Oriental gift 'emporium'. I suspect I was ripped-off.

Re the other suggestions, OK it's been a learning experience... I didn't need to switch regions at all, and I didn't know that most players will accept NTSC or PAL. In the end, the ISO files saved in the first (DVDshrink) step, I found I didn't need to un-archive them. As I'm sure most of you know (and I do now!), ImgBurn will do 'Image file to DVD' in one process.

Re region free hacks, my unit is a Pioneer DVD/HDD unit, and I've tried several hacks without success.

But bottom line... I now have now been able to convert the disks, so thanks again, everyone.
    Quote Quote