VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear all,

Attached file here

I've managed to extract a sup file using DVDSubEdit to srt. However it ends up that the srt has an progressive sync issue. I've tried to use subsedit.com to fix but to no avail as the site is buggy and the progressive sync issue remains. I guess it was the DVDSubEdit that caused the progressive sync issue because the audio and the video were in sync.

I've tried another method, that is to use Vobedit to demux the subpicture stream and then opening the .sup file with Subtitle Creator but it doesn't work. The error goes something like "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Then I've tried using the BDSuptosub and there was also an error when opening. The error was "ERROR: Unexpected command 0 at index 0x00000012"

Tried using SupRip as well, the error was

unrecognized block code

Void LoadHddvdSup(System.IO.FileStream)

at SupRip.SubtitleFile.LoadHddvdSup(FileStream fs)
    at SupRip.SubtitleFile.LoadFromSup(String supfile)
    at SupRip.MainForm.LoadSubtitleFile(String fileName)

I am really desperate to know why the sup file didn't work with most programs. But if only I could find a good way to fix the progressive sync issue with the srt file without having to manually re-time every subtitle, that would be great enough.
    Quote Quote  
  2. BDSupToSub doesn't support DVD SUP files, only Blu-ray ones. SupRip also doesn't support DVD SUP files.

I usually do an instant conversion from SUP to VobSub (IDX/SUB) in SubtitleCreator followed by an OCR using SubRip. I have no idea why your timings got progressively off as I've used DVDSubEdit before with no problem. It screws up the OCR a little bit sometimes, though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Thank you for your quick reply. I managed to solve the issue with the progressive sync. What I did was open the SRT file in Subtitle Creator and Synchronize --> Convert frame rate, from 30 fps to 29.97 fps and the srt file came out perfectly in sync. I was not sure why DVDSubEdit read the sup file at 30fps when the frame rate was 29.97 to begin with. I picked 30 and 29.97 out of randomness, but I seem to have hit the right conversion ratio. I'm okay with the screwed up OCR because OCR is never 100% correct to begin with, given how l and I look the same in certain fonts. What I did was manually corrected the subtitles

I must thank this thread for solving the issue, didn't noticed it before: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/287173-AVI-and-SRT-subtitles-increasingly-out-of-sync

In other words, I must thank you for your advice in another thread
    Last edited by sooojaded; 7th Feb 2012 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, so it was a dropframe timing (29.97fps) versus no-dropframe (30fps) issue. I came across that same problem myself the other day. It happens, but rarely, in my experience. If the subs start off OK and wind up a few seconds off by the end (about 7 seconds for a 2 hour movie), that's almost always the issue. PAL/NTSC problems result in subs off by several minutes by the end.

For future reference, first make sure you have the latest DVDSubEdit version (1.52). Then, if it happens again, go File->Preferences->General Settings, and check the 'Use drop-frame time code' box and that should fix it.
    Quote Quote