VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys, I'm trying to hardcode the subtitles in my Mkv because the ps3 does not support soft subs on playblack.
    I've found a few ways to hard code AND convert to a playable file on ps3 at the same time, but none of them keep the font that was original in the video.

I dont mind if I hardcode the subtitles without changing the file to a playable one (i'll just do that after) though that would be good. But right now all I really need is to Hardcode the ASS subtitles with the same font and everything.

Any methods?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you extracted the font(s) from the MKV and kept those in the same directory as the .ass while you're trying to hardcode the subs? You may need to actually install the font, though.

I've used the VirtualDub+VSFilter method, and that seems to use the correct fonts (as long as I have them extracted and in the same directory as the .ass).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, everyone! (^_^)

Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    You may need to actually install the font, though.

I've used the VirtualDub+VSFilter method, and that seems to use the correct fonts (as long as I have them extracted and in the same directory as the .ass).
    I've used the method mentioned above, just not for the PS3, and had good results even with more complex subtitles (styles, positions, etc). One other option is AviDemux, which has a video filter that supports SSA/ASS subtitles.

As a general rule, I always install the fonts beforehand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you definitely do have to have the fonts installed for Avidemux, though. I'm not sure how many of the ASS effects/commands it supports, either. (It seemed to mostly just support basic subtitle display for the ASS interpreter, the last time I used it (a version or so ago of Avidemux). I could be wrong, though.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote