VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using FFDShow-tryouts for a while, but I was sad to see that they removed several encoders due to compatibility issues several versions ago. I liked to use it because their frontend for Xvid was awesome and I could capture without problems using Virtualdub. But when they removed that, I tried using Koepi's Xvid build to capture, but no matter what I did, the video just wouldn't come out with the same quality.

So what I want to do is keep the latest build of FFDShow-tryouts for decoding video, and use the older version with Xvid to encode video.

Is this possible?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know, you can't have two different versions of the 32-bit ffdshow installed at the same time. If you're running a 64-bit Windows system, the 64-bit version and 32-bit version can both be installed - but not multiple versions of either.

It might be possible (I don't know, so try at your own risk) if you install them both to different folders, and experiment with the codec merits... but that'll probably just end up a big mess, or confusing the system or a program.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately for me, I'm stuck with 32-bit for now since my capture card thing (an Adaptec Gamebridge) only has 32-bit drivers.

I basically only use FFDShow to load those weird codecs that certain old videos (and random old Windows games) use. I do most of my video playback on MPC Home Cinema and VideoLan - but the former doesn't load all codecs and the latter doesn't like my computer very much.

I'll probably just uninstall this version, install the last one that had Xvid encoding, and replace the included xvid DLL with Koepi's build since the xvid on that one was fairly buggy and prone to creating corrupt video. That's what I did before upgrading my computer to Windows 7.

I just wish there was a way to use the older FFDShow frontend on its own. If I knew how to code I'd just make my own ffdshow build with nothing but the encoder. But I can barely do a hello world program.

Anyway.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote