VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the second DVD of a two DVD movie, the MP4 from Handbrake of the second disk is way way out of sync
    wheras the MP4 of the first disk is fine.

The sound is in sync on the original DVD files of both DVD disks.

I have ripped many DVDs to Mp4 with Handbrake and never had a problem with sound being out of sync.

I may be in wrong forum section. Not sure if there is a Handbrake section?
    Is there a handbrake section on the site?

Appreciate any advice.
    I would like to use Handbrake for this second disk because its video quality is so good for small file size.
    I have absolutely no idea how to fix this.

Cheers all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try vidcoder and see if it works any better. It's based on latest handbrake builds so you should get same result.

If it wont help then what do you rip with? Latest dvdfab decrypter, anydvd?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVDFab and have not had a sync problem before. Difference is that this is the second disk of two disks for the movie.
    All others I have compressed with Handbrake have had entire movie on one disk and no sync probs.

As i noted above the DVD has sound in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At risk of gravedigging a slightly old thread, I'm having the same issue with some conversions.

I have a DVD recorder (Panasonic EH68) hooked up to my cable STB, with a bunch of shows I have recorded and burned to disk. I am now in the process of converting all these to MP4, so that I can put them on my NAS and play through networked WD TV Lives.

Nearly always, the conversion works fine and I have a nice MP4 with no sync issues etc. However, on a small subset of disks there are chronic A/V sync issues. I have isolated the problem somewhat. If the recording is up to two hours and transferred to DVD as a high-speed dub then the process of ripping and converting it works fine. If, however, the recording exceeds the size that can be transferred to a disk and the recorder instead transfers it in FR mode (which involves recompression), then these are the ones that invariably have the sync issues. The disks themselves play fine (in the Panasonic itself, on other DVD players and on the Computer). The ripped file (an .ISO using DVD decrypter) also plays fine in VLC. However, using either Handbrake or Vidcoder, an MP3 I make from it doesn't - chronic sync problems.

Also of interest, if I instead encode the problematic recording (to either xvid or MP4) using Fairuse Wizard, then it works fine - no sync issues at all. So , at the moment, it seems to be an issue confined to FR recordings converted with the Handbrake engine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Chopmeister,

You seem to be more up to speed on video conversion than I am. I use only good but easy to use software like Handbrake. I had not heard of Fairuse Wizard but will download it and try it.

The one case of A/V out of sync I had using Handbrake was due to defect in the original video. I have not had this happen before or since
    with hanbrake doing the compression to MKV or MP4.

My only suggestion is to use the software that works best for you.

it concerns me that the development of Handbrake seems to be like a committee with everyone dabbling but still does the job well for me.

Is there a freeware version of Fairuse Wizard to try. I will have a look at their site.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote