VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to purchase a Canon XA10 camcorder and want to upgrade my tripod (I still have the kind that you have to tighten/loosen the handle and knob to pan and then lock in place!) Read a guide to purchasing tripod on the Videomaker website, but still not quite sure which direction to go with fluid or friction, etc. The XA10 is a very lightweight camera at only 1.71 lbs. Any suggestions for a decent tripod for this camcorder that will allow me to pan smoothly and not have to tighten knobs to keep it in place? Thanks again in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have the Impact VT2500 and use it with my Panasonic AG-DVC30. Iīm reasonably happy with it. Itīno loger sold but this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/537863-REG/Pearstone_VT_2500B_VT2500B_Video_Tripod_System.html
    looks exactly the same (except in the color, mine is grey), I think itīs been just relabeled under a different brand, the price es even the same.
    Itīs bigger, heavier and sturdier than most "photo" tripods (like the one you probably have right now as you mention), while thatīs a drawback for some, itīs a big advantage to me. It has a fairly smooth fluid head, quick release plate and bubble level, all pro features but in a tripod many times less expensive than the true big league boys.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and thanks for your reply. That tripod looks pretty nice but I'm wondering if it's overkill for the very light XA10. I read about making sure you have the correct tripod for the weight of the camera. Will have to look into this more..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends more on what and where you are shooting than the weight of the camera. if you plan on doing any panning/tilting while shooting you need a tripod with heft. a light consumer unit will shake/move around and a cheap head will cause jerking. if it's for set shots only a cheap/light combo can be fine.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It will be a talking head type video, but with some panning from time to time. The fluid head is what allows me to pan the camera in any plane and let go it will stay, correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes...fluid is the way to go. Then there's the remote control on the handle that allows you to zoom while panning/tilting just like the tv studios use but on a consumer level. No concern with weight with a 1.7 lb camera. It's just mentioned for the max weight of a camera. Some cams are very heavy and the tripod can't handle it. Big legs help a lot especially when in the field where a slight breeze can get cheap travel tripod's legs shaking ruining the shot. I went out and bought a $400 tripod for field work and stuck a 1 lb camera on it and the footage is pro-smooth. Bought a remote for the cam's LANC at B&H for $30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for your suggestion. I went ahead and purchased the Pearstone that you recommended. It will be here on Thursday, along with the XA10
    Quote Quote