VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying various capture configurations with a BMIP. I'm finding I can't capture through hdmi, so tried the composite with a laserdisc player. That went okay, as did the s-video. But I can't get any kind of capture with a samsung universal VCR.

I have another ld player, a pioneer with a DVD player and component out. I hooked up the component out and stuck in a DVD. I could only get a black and white picture. So, I Hooked the ld player to the tv with the component cables. Still only a black and white picture. So I tried a different set of cables - the set from my Hauppauge 1212. Still a b&w. So, I believe the problem is with the unit itself - a Pioneer DVL-919. But what could go wrong with component video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StrobeLightEpileptic View Post
    I'm trying various capture configurations with a BMIP. I'm finding I can't capture through hdmi, so tried the composite with a laserdisc player. That went okay, as did the s-video. But I can't get any kind of capture with a samsung universal VCR.

I have another ld player, a pioneer with a DVD player and component out. I hooked up the component out and stuck in a DVD. I could only get a black and white picture. So, I Hooked the ld player to the tv with the component cables. Still only a black and white picture. So I tried a different set of cables - the set from my Hauppauge 1212. Still a b&w. So, I believe the problem is with the unit itself - a Pioneer DVL-919. But what could go wrong with component video?
    Forget S-Video or component with Laserdisc. Laserdisc is a composite recorded format (quadrature subcarrier and all). I'm not sure if the BM Intensity Y/C separator is better than the hardware in all Laserdisc players but probably better than 95% of them.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But I can't get any kind of capture with a samsung universal VCR.
    What format output?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A Laserdisc player with DVD player? Never heard of that.

All DVD players have analog component out. Was this DVD disc PAL?

You are in Texas but have a "universal" player. Are you trying to play non-NTSC discs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay, let me take your responses one at a time.

Yes, I'm aware that laserdisc is composite,. I understand your point about how the blackmagic IP might have better separation than the ld player. But I was trying component with a DVD to see if I could get a decent capture that way. Since the BMIP has component in, my guess was that would be a better input source.

As far as your response to my statement about no capture with the Samsung; I'm not sure I understand your question. I was trying to capture a videotape being played by the VCR and capturing it in the BMIP. The Samsung only has composite out.

The last response you made. The LD player is a Pioneer, one of the last models they made. It does have a DVD player with component out. Problem is the component function doesn't seem to be working. The LD player is NOT a universal player and the DVD I was trying was NTSC. The Samsung VCR is the universal player - I was trying to capture a PAL video with it, but the BMIP is supposed to be able to capture PAL as well as NTSC so long as you have the settings correct. I did have it set for PAL capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, let me take your responses one at a time.

Yes, I'm aware that laserdisc is composite,. I understand your point about how the blackmagic IP might have better separation than the ld player. But I was trying component with a DVD to see if I could get a decent capture that way. Since the BMIP has component in, my guess was that would be a better input source.
    Back in the 90's, hardware comb filters were expensive to accomplish and 3D comb filter techniques weren't practical until the mid 2000s. Pioneer did make expensive Laserdisc players targeted to projector use but most likely, a modern capture card will have better Y/C separation. Best to test both ways.

As far as your response to my statement about no capture with the Samsung; I'm not sure I understand your question. I was trying to capture a videotape being played by the VCR and capturing it in the BMIP. The Samsung only has composite out.

The Samsung VCR is the universal player - I was trying to capture a PAL video with it, but the BMIP is supposed to be able to capture PAL as well as NTSC so long as you have the settings correct. I did have it set for PAL capture.
    So you attempted PAL tape playback in the Samsung Universal VCR but the BMI couldn't capture as PAL. My best guess is the Samsung VCR is converting to NTSC. Do you have a PAL monitor? My monitors identify the incoming format (e.g. NTSC 3.58 or PAL 4.43).

The last response you made. The LD player is a Pioneer, one of the last models they made. It does have a DVD player with component out. Problem is the component function doesn't seem to be working. The LD player is NOT a universal player and the DVD I was trying was NTSC.
    Most combo VHS/DVD players only had component functional with the DVD player.

I suspect this is what is happening in your combo Laserdisc/DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Pioneer did make them towards the end of the laserdisc days as a way to try to squeeze a few more sales out of people who wanted to hedge their bets but they were very expensive. If I remember correctly you had pay over $1000 for one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. [QUOTE=edDV;2138520]

The Samsung VCR is the universal player - I was trying to capture a PAL video with it, but the BMIP is supposed to be able to capture PAL as well as NTSC so long as you have the settings correct. I did have it set for PAL capture.

So you attempted PAL tape playback in the Samsung Universal VCR but the BMI couldn't capture as PAL. My best guess is the Samsung VCR is converting to NTSC. Do you have a PAL monitor? My monitors identify the incoming format (e.g. NTSC 3.58 or PAL 4.43).

Well, that's a thought. But I have captured pal from the Samsung in the past using an AVDC-110 and had no problems. And the captures video was identified as pal which played fine in VLC and windows media player and also virtual dub.

The last response you made. The LD player is a Pioneer, one of the last models they made. It does have a DVD player with component out. Problem is the component function doesn't seem to be working. The LD player is NOT a universal player and the DVD I was trying was NTSC.

Yes, but I was trying the component with a DVD and still only got black and white.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

If I remember correctly you had pay over $1000 for one.
    Not me. I bought it used a few years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm have 0 experience with LD players but this scenario sounds like your trying to capture PAL and the universal VCR or BMIP is setting it NTSC...I do know that i have played PAL discs on a NTSC player and they all come out black and white and fuzzy

maybe the BMIP has a internal NTSC setting...not sure

Pioneer DVL V888

Click image for larger version

Name:	asdasd.jpg
Views:	4300
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	10773
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=StrobeLightEpileptic;2138531]

Well, that's a thought. But I have captured pal from the Samsung in the past using an AVDC-110 and had no problems. And the captures video was identified as pal which played fine in VLC and windows media player and also virtual dub.

Yes, but I was trying the component with a DVD and still only got black and white.
    DVD player setup menus differ but to get black and white on component out means only the Y (green) output is active. Make sure the DVD player menus are set for NTSC, Interlace, Componet and wide. You should be setting this on the player connected to a TV with interlace component input.

Keep in mind that the BM Intensity captures SD as interlace only.
    Last edited by edDV; 2nd Feb 2012 at 17:08.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own the Pioneer DVL-919 and it works exactly as edDV describes. In the setup menu for the player you can switch between S-Video and Component video outputs. When set for S-Video output the Component video is turned off and you only see black and white. When set for Component output and you play a Laserdisc, which will only output on S-Video or Composite, the Component video output is automatically turned off.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  13. If the output looks b/w and fuzzy on component, it could be due to the way it's wired, it's actually composite on the Y connector - try putting the Y connector to the composite in on the tv.
    Quote Quote