VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 3tb 3.5 western digital hdd that I would like to connect to my LG 55LK520. When I connect it, it detects the drive but says theres something wrong with the usb device, so I thought maybe it didn't detect ntfs formatted drives. Then I connected a 2gb ntfs usb stick and it was fine. So I was thinking maybe the capacity is too be for the tv to handle? Although I dont' think that should be a problem. Has anyone heard of a limit that you can have for usb devices connected to tvs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You have to jump through hoops just to hook a drive that size to a PC, there's a good chance the drive is too big for the TV. I'm not sure partitioning it would help, but your best bet is to get in touch with LG tech support and ask what's the largest drive you can use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an LG 32LK330, which shares a manual with the LG 55LK520. Page 55 of the manual says our TVs can only use external HDDs up to 1TB, or USB flash drives up to 32GB. 3TB is too large.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I actually found someone else who has the same tv and he was able to connect a 2tb hdd do it so I formatted the 3tb into 2 1.5s and it worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WinSpecToR View Post
    I have a 3tb 3.5 western digital hdd that I would like to connect to my LG 55LK520. When I connect it, it detects the drive but says theres something wrong with the usb device, so I thought maybe it didn't detect ntfs formatted drives. Then I connected a 2gb ntfs usb stick and it was fine. So I was thinking maybe the capacity is too be for the tv to handle? Although I dont' think that should be a problem. Has anyone heard of a limit that you can have for usb devices connected to tvs?
    Exactly, 3TB is too large and cannot be supported.
    Most TVs also dont support filesystems aside FAT32 (eg. ext3 or ntfs).

Originally Posted by WinSpecToR
    I actually found someone else who has the same tv and he was able to connect a 2tb hdd do it so I formatted the 3tb into 2 1.5s and it worked.
    That is partitioning a drive, prior to formatting.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    Most TVs also dont support filesystems aside FAT32 (eg. ext3 or ntfs).
    As it happens, the LG 55LK520 and LG 32LK330 support NTFS formatted drives. Works great for playing TV shows recorded by my PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That may be, but even NTFS is not always "NTFS".
    Many devices even give up when the standard formatting features were not used (correct cluster size etc).
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    That may be, but even NTFS is not always "NTFS".
    Many devices even give up when the standard formatting features were not used (correct cluster size etc).
    If someone is technically proficient enough to format their drives using non-standard NTFS features, they are probably smart enough to know better than to try using them with a TV, Blu-Ray player, or media player.

These particular LG TVs obviously do work with USB devices that were formatted with standard NTFS features, as long as the drive or partition is not too large.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Feb 2012 at 14:43. Reason: corrected a typo
    Quote Quote  
  9. I wonder if the 2 terabyte limit for MBR partition table has something to do with this. Anything over that size partition must be GUID partition table.

Anyway, I have a 2 terabyte external drive, MBR partition table, and my LG 65LW6500 recognizes it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote