VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, so I would like to record some PC gameplay, but without the intense lag of some downloadable capturing software's such as FRAPS. I own a Hauppauge HDPVR Gaming Edition, and would like to know if there is a way to record my PC screen using it. I went and bought a HDMI to Component coverter box, that way my line goes PC--->HDMI IN--->Converter Box--->Component In--->Hauppauge HDPVR In--->HDPVR Out--->HDTV

Otherwise, I plugged in the HDMI cable coming from my PC into the HDMI port in the converter box, then plugged in YPbPr component cable in the other end of the converter box, then plugged in the other end of the YPbPr component cable into the HDPVR, then had another component cable running from the HDPVR OUT, into the Component IN on my HDTV. Then a USB running from the HDPVR into the PC. All I really care about is capturing, but getting it to show up on my HDTV would be nice.

Finally, what my problem is, is when I load up my capturing software program, that I normally use to capture xbox gameplay, (ArcSoft ShowBiz), it doesn't pull up my PC screen to record, just a black screen. What I'm thinking the problem is, is the fact that I'm missing a codec? If so, which codec? Where can I download it? I just spent $70 on this converter thinking it would work, and I would like it to. Any suggestions on what I might need to do? Or what I'm doing wrong? Thank you so much!

P.S. If you need any more info just ask.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You just have to set the gaming PC to a resolution and refresh rate that the HD PVR supports. 1280x720 59.94 progressive fps, or 1920x1080 29.97 interlaced fps, ie, standard broadcast HDTV signals. Those are the only HD resolutions the HD PVR can capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You just have to set the gaming PC to a resolution and refresh rate that the HD PVR supports. 1280x720 59.94 progressive fps, or 1920x1080 29.97 interlaced fps, ie, standard broadcast HDTV signals. Those are the only HD resolutions the HD PVR can capture.
    Okay, so I figured out how to set my monitor's resolution to 1280x720, but how do I manage the progressive fps? Because the software still doesn't pull up the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by rogvid700 View Post
    Okay, so I figured out how to set my monitor's resolution to 1280x720, but how do I manage the progressive fps? Because the software still doesn't pull up the screen.
    Every graphics card and driver version is different. First look for frame rates 59.94 or 60. Also look for settings like "HDTV" or something that implies it's for an HDTV, not a computer monitor. Verify that the computer (converter box) is putting out a component signal -- run the component cable directly to an HDTV and make sure you get a picture. If your TV reports the signal properties verify they're correct.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by rogvid700 View Post
    Every graphics card and driver version is different. First look for frame rates 59.94 or 60. Also look for settings like "HDTV" or something that implies it's for an HDTV, not a computer monitor. Verify that the computer (converter box) is putting out a component signal -- run the component cable directly to an HDTV and make sure you get a picture. If your TV reports the signal properties verify they're correct.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH. This helped a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would be interested in your impressions of the response time if you've got it working. I'd expect the HDMI-component converter to add a frame or two of delay, along with more when the HDTV has to convert that analog signal to digital.
    Quote Quote