VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The first thing that goes on the Panasonic DMR recorders is the dvd drive stops recognizing blank media (the dreaded "U11" error). The DMR-E30 and the DMR-HS2 used the same model dvd drive, and I have successfully transplanted them. I just recently successfully transplanted an HS2 drive into an E80H as well. I was wondering if anybody knew what _other_ panny models are compatible with these three, parts-wise. For example, if I pick an E55 for parts, could I transplant it's dvd drive into an HS2 ? Are there any other models compatible with the ones I have mentioned. Or ... are there other "cycles" of models that are compatible with one another (even if not compatible with the E30/HS2/E80H cycle) ?
    -Richard M. Hartman
    hartman@onetouchsys.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting topic ... I will be interested in any answers too ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, it was my believe that you couldn't transplant DVD drives from a non HDD Panasonic into a HDD Panasonic, and visa verse but it sounds like you've proven that wrong. I also see a lot of E55 Panasonics for sale(mostly on Craigslist) so I can see how you might want to transplant them into other Pannys, especially HDD ones.
    Don't know if you've seen a chart I made but it lists every Panasonic sold from the N. American market from the first E10 in '01 up to the last EZ-28 and EZ-48 from '08 through '11. It also has a few international Panasonics available from grey market sellers in the US. Maybe it will help you on identifying models.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909
    I've never seen a chart of model numbers verses sales figures for the US but I'd have to think the E55 would be near the top, again at least relating to how many one sees on the second hand market?....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Once, when I was on the phone with Panasonic support I found out that the replacement part (the DVD drive) for the HS2 was also the same part listed for the E30 and one with a four-digit number that I have forgotten and lost the memo on my PDA (1040 ? I have only seen that model on ebay once (and it got away! drat!)) . Note that the parts dept. did _not_ tell me that the others in this family used the same replacement part ... but they worked anyway ... I had even swapped a few times before I tried calling them for the part (it was too expensive, btw) I am also 90% certain that the E60 also belongs in this "family" that can exchange the DVD drive. I _think_ we had one of those and swapped with it, but I do not recall for certain. The insides of the E30/E60/HS2 and even the E80H are very similar (as are their outsides). And their remotes.

The case for the E55 looks different than the family above. As is the remote. I am guessing it was designed at a different time. I would presume that the hd models designed at the same time are good organ donors for one another, but do not know if that would carry back to the HS2 "family".

So ... no one else has even tried this route to fixing an hd model?
    Last edited by rmhartman; 29th Jan 2012 at 09:34. Reason: need to update sig
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Consult the parts lists in the service manuals:
    http://elektrotanya.com/
    Quote Quote