VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I've a Canon AVCHD memory-card camcorder, and I always shot Progressive segmented Frame (PSF) videos.
    First of all this webpage can explain my problems:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_em_part...malignant_psf/

I would like to transform my videos from Malignant PSF to Beningn PSF. Are there any software to to this? Is it possible to edit metadata/header of the original MTS videofiles with hex editor or other applications?

About the progressive segmented frame: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_frame

Thank you for your answer!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no it's recorded as 2 separate fields that when combined(interlaced) create 1 progressive frame. you would need to re-encode to a "real" progressive format to change it to something everything would handle properly.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    no it's recorded as 2 separate fields that when combined(interlaced) create 1 progressive frame. you would need to re-encode to a "real" progressive format to change it to something everything would handle properly.
    Hello!
    I don't want to change the PSF format.

Did you read this? http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_em_part...malignant_psf/

I would like to change my malignant PSF to Beningn PSF.

Are there any software or hex editor, which can change the video info/header of the MTS file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    Hello!

Did you read this? http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_em_part...malignant_psf/

Are there any software or hex editor, which can change the video info/header of the MTS file?

The problem with that article is that there is no such thing as "benign PsF" .

That author has just made up a term to confuse you. It really means native progressive, encoded as frames, not as fields. There is no such thing as "interlaced stream" in native progressive footage, it's not even "disguised". i.e. it NEVER shows up as interlaced in any program because it's progressive content, progressively encoded.

Benign PsF: a method of recording progressive video in an interlaced stream in such a way that modern video editing programs can automatically detect that it is truly progressive video which has simply been “disguised” as interlaced video.
    For example if you take HMC40 30p footage , such as the author's example, it's field_pic_flag in the frame header is set to zero. This means it's progressively encoded, no "interlaced stream". ie. it's not PsF at all.

In the "malignant" case, for example in Consumer level Canon AVCHD camcorders - it's progressive content, but encoded as interlaced. Thus the field_pic_flag is set to 1. You cannot just change this value with a hex editor or script. You have to re-encode it as progressive as aedipuss says above. Or just interpret the footage in your NLE - this is even easier.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    Hello!

The problem with that article is that there is no such thing as "benign PsF" .

That author has just made up a term to confuse you. It really means native progressive, encoded as frames, not as fields. There is no such thing as "interlaced stream" in native progressive footage, it's not even "disguised". i.e. it NEVER shows up as interlaced in any program because it's progressive content, progressively encoded.

Benign PsF: a method of recording progressive video in an interlaced stream in such a way that modern video editing programs can automatically detect that it is truly progressive video which has simply been “disguised” as interlaced video.
    For example if you take HMC40 30p footage , such as the author's example, it's field_pic_flag in the frame header is set to zero. This means it's progressively encoded, no "interlaced stream". ie. it's not PsF at all.

In the "malignant" case, for example in Consumer level Canon AVCHD camcorders - it's progressive content, but encoded as interlaced. Thus the field_pic_flag is set to 1. You cannot just change this value with a hex editor or script. You have to re-encode it as progressive as aedipuss says above. Or just interpret the footage in your NLE - this is even easier.
    OK. Other question, DO the CMOS of consumer Canon AVCHD cameras shot in native progressive pictures which later will transform to PSF format by the camcorder, or do their CMOS shot the video in interled and later they deinterlaced the video with a smart deinterlacer and write in PSF? Because many people says that Canon consumer CMOS are interlaced CMOS with a good deinterlacer.)

The other (Youtube) question is here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=083f6bb887251181&hl=en
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

OK. Other question, DO the CMOS of consumer Canon AVCHD cameras shot in native progressive pictures whic later were transformed to PSF format, or do their CMOS shot the video in interled and later they deinterlaced the video with a smart deinterlacer and write in PSF? Because many people says that Canon consumer CMOS are interlaced CMOS with a good deinterlacer.)

Other question is here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=083f6bb887251181&hl=en

Some of the Canon cameras have a native progressive 24pN mode (N = native) . This means progressive content, encoded as progressive. Similar to what the HMC40 would shoot in 24p mode. But I don't know how the sensor samples in each model , or the internal processing of each model. You would have to ask a Canon engineer

For youtube, you should process it properly before encoding. Never rely on youtube to get it right. No one wants to see your unedited home video footage either - there is often lots of junk that should be edited out
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    cmos chips are read pixel by pixel from upper left to right and then down one scan line until they get to the bottom. they are progressive by design. the chip output is interlaced for storage. no way to make an interlaced cmos chip.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cmos chips are read pixel by pixel from upper left to right and then down one scan line until they get to the bottom. they are progressive by design. the chip output is interlaced for storage. no way to make an interlaced cmos chip.
    Ok I understand in the case of PSF, but how can the CMOS chips capture real 60i and 50i video?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    Ok I understand in the case of PSF, but how can the CMOS chips capture real 60i and 50i video?

This could be done if the scan rate is at 60Hz and 50Hz (progressive) respectively.

Internal processing could make it true 60i or 50i (interlaced content, encoded interlaced), or 30p / 25p by halving the data, then storing it as 60i/50i (progressive content, encoded interlaced)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interlaced video works by taking 2 separate exposures on any type of chip. for TFF the first exposure stores the top fields, and the second exposure stores the bottom field. the unused alternate lines are discarded. BFF is the reverse. the electronics of the camera put the two pieces together and store it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any flash-based web video creator software, which supports mp4? Which has more options for video resolution like the Youtube? (and of course trancodes the video in more different resolution video files for optionable resolutions?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    Are there any flash-based web video creator software, which supports mp4? Which has more options for video resolution like the Youtube? (and of course trancodes the video in more different resolution video files for optionable resolutions?

Can you clarify your question? You need to be more specific

Are you looking for batch encoding ? multiple resolutions at once? network encoding? free? price range ?

ie. What are you trying to do ?

Basically , any h.264/aac/mp4 is compatible with flash (and if destination goal is youtube, it doesn't matter, because YT will re-encode everything anyway) . examples of free programs - ripbot264, handbrake, megui, xvid4psp
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

Can you clarify your question? You need to be more specific

Are you looking for batch encoding ? multiple resolutions at once? network encoding? free? price range ?

ie. What are you trying to do ?

Basically , any h.264/aac/mp4 is compatible with flash (and if destination goal is youtube, it doesn't matter, because YT will re-encode everything anyway) . examples of free programs - ripbot264, handbrake, megui, xvid4psp
    Hello!

I've a hompage. I want to use my homepage for store the player skin and the video contents too...
    I want web flash video player, which can create player-skins and the html, and which can transcode my videos in various resolutions. Where I can choose various video resolutions on the web video player. (Forexample 480p 720p 1080p video-files...etc)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

I've a hompage. I want to use my homepage for store the player skin and the video contents too...
    I want web flash video player, which can create player-skins and the html, and which can transcode my videos in various resolutions. Where I can choose various video resolutions on the web video player. (Forexample 480p 720p 1080p video-files...etc)
    Those programs listed above are able convert the videos, and you can scale them to any dimensions you want, but that's all they do (they are video converters) . Creating the flash player, skins, HTML, playlists etc... is a separate task
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

This could be done if the scan rate is at 60Hz and 50Hz (progressive) respectively.

Internal processing could make it true 60i or 50i (interlaced content, encoded interlaced), or 30p / 25p by halving the data, then storing it as 60i/50i (progressive content, encoded interlaced)

"Halving the data" Do you think about having the resolution of the cmos, or it means halving the frame-rate of the (50-60hz) CMOS chip?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for interlaced video the cmos chip reads half the data(every other line).
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But is it true also in progressive segmented frame mode or it is true only in real interlaced mode?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    But is it true also in progressive segmented frame mode or it is true only in real interlaced mode?

If the sensor sampled at 60p, eitherway it's half the data. Spatial or temporal

In interlaced mode, half the spatial resolution is thrown out = 60i instead of 60p of the sensor readout (this is a gross simplification - but each field is like 1/2 a real frame)

In 30p in 60i (progressive content but interlaced encoding mode) , half the temporal data is thrown out = 30psf instead of 60p of the sensor readout

Camcorders that read and record 1080p60 would leave the full data
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

If the sensor sampled at 60p, eitherway it's half the data. Spatial or temporal

In interlaced mode, half the spatial resolution is thrown out = 60i instead of 60p of the sensor readout (this is a gross simplification - but each field is like 1/2 a real frame)

In 30p in 60i (progressive content but interlaced encoding mode) , half the temporal data is thrown out = 30psf instead of 60p of the sensor readout

Camcorders that read and record 1080p60 would leave the full data
    Does the camcorder drope every second frame of the 60p cmos sensor in 30pfs mode? In this case the resolution remains full resoluton of the cmos chip, only the half frame rate causes data/info loss. Doesn't it?
    Last edited by Stears555; 1st Feb 2012 at 01:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I've a Canon AVCHD memory-card camcorder, and I always shot Progressive segmented Frame (PSF) videos.
    First of all this webpage can explain my problems:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_em_part...malignant_psf/
    I'm not sure I'd trust that web page. I'm not sure the author understands.

Not really...
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339363-60i-to-30p-without-re-encoding?p=2109954#post2109954
    ...though see the warning later from jagabo. That tool is for MPEG-2, not MPEG-4.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

Are there any flash-based web video player, which can play uploaded mp4 files directly, and which can generate html code too?
    Quote Quote