VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a few MPG files that I recorded from TV.

Is there a FREE way to remove the ADS?

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can edit them out with something like mpg2cut2 or avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Comskip combined with Mpeg2Schnitt or Cuttermaran can work with SD files to automate commercial removal, but I don't personally find it to be accurate enough. PDRs recommendations are good mpg editors that can be used to trim out commercials manually, but be prepared for A/V sync issues. If there are any errors (even one bad/missing audio packet or video frame) in the files audio will loose sync.

As you have already been advised in a few previous similar threads, if you want something that can remove commercials manually and compensate for minor errors in the stream to avoid sync issues, payware (VideoReDo Plus) is still required.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    you can edit them out with something like mpg2cut2 or avidemux
    I couldn't figure out mpg2cut and so I tried Avidemux, and chose to save as MPEG-ts (A+V) but the resulting video file plays out of sync It got so bad that by the last 15 minutes of movie there is NO sound at all.
    Last edited by lovelylisa; 27th Jan 2012 at 15:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Comskip combined with Mpeg2Schnitt or Cuttermaran can work with SD files to automate commercial removal, but I don't personally find it to be accurate enough. PDRs recommendations are good mpg editors that can be used to trim out commercials manually, but be prepared for A/V sync issues. If there are any errors (even one bad/missing audio packet or video frame) in the files audio will loose sync.

As you have already been advised in a few previous similar threads, if you want something that can remove commercials manually and compensate for minor errors in the stream to avoid sync issues, payware (VideoReDo Plus) is still required.
    Oh well, I will just fast forward those annoying commercials then

You would think there would exist a reliable and accurate free method, but guess not.

Thanks anyway, cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You have to cut on keyframes (for either avidemux or mpg2cut2), and use mpeg-ps (program stream)

videoredo allows frame accurate cutting, but is not free
    Quote Quote  
  7. You don't give any particulars about how or with what you're capturing, etc.

HDTV2MPEG2 is often overlooked. It's very simple, and can scan for adverts. I've found the automatic commercial removal to be quite accurate. You can preview and double check the mark in/ mark out points before saving a clean file.

Before I got my HD-PVR, I used a Leadtek card that saved high-definition or standard definition broadcasts to mpeg2 transport streams and used HDTV2MPEG2 a lot.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    You don't give any particulars about how or with what you're capturing, etc.

HDTV2MPEG2 is often overlooked. It's very simple, and can scan for adverts. I've found the automatic commercial removal to be quite accurate. You can preview and double check the mark in/ mark out points before saving a clean file.

Before I got my HD-PVR, I used a Leadtek card that saved high-definition or standard definition broadcasts to mpeg2 transport streams and used HDTV2MPEG2 a lot.

Good luck.
    My capture TV card records into MPG format.

When I use it to import MPG files, it FAILS and says, "Error: Could not find a channel"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hmmm, that sounds very much like a couple of comments on the tool by a few people who couldn't get it to work for them. There were some versions with a bug causing that error message for valid transport streams. Did you install the newest (last) version? BTW, the tool is no longer being actively developed.

Been a while since I used it, and that was on XP. It would help if you filled in your computer details. It may be that it needs to be run in compatibility mode on Vista or Win7. But that's just a guess.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote