VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using: mac os 10.7.2, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4G Ram.

I've tried this a number of ways but cannot get ffmpegX to load a set file and output video with subtitles. I've followed the instructions in the How-To as indicated. But it did not work.

Additionally (maybe part of the failure), I initially selected output as DVD-ffmpeg. The "How-To" said I should find a Movie directory with Video_TS and such. I only found some ff output files in my conversion directory. Once that was selected, all the "VOB" options for subtitling disappeared. I'm not sure it would matter what the output was, specifically. Before beginning encode, I checked the preview in the subtitles screen and sure enough the subtitles presented. But once output, they were not there.

I've read of potential subtitle strangeness with Lion's QuickTime 10.1. QT10.1 no longer supports multi-layered video or so I'm told. So there was discussion of switching the subtitling to layer 0. But this doesn't seem to work either. I saw carping related to Perian not working as a result of all this QT 10.1 stuff.

Finally I bought SubMerge hoping I could hard-code. I did, it looked fine in QT and VLC, but once output via Toast to DVD--subtitles gone! Amazing!

Does anybody have an idea on how to do this with ffmpeg in the simplest of situations (using an avi, set and Lion)?

It's been a strange two days...

-- Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does anybody have an idea on how to do this with ffmpeg in the simplest of situations (using an avi, set and Lion)?
    No idea about ffmpeg or ffmpegX, but if embeding srt into avi is only your goal, probably AVIDemux could have made your job simpler and easier.
    or you hack avisynth into MAC OS X.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    No idea about ffmpeg or ffmpegX, but if embeding srt into avi is only your goal, probably AVIDemux could have made your job simpler and easier.
    or you hack avisynth into MAC OS X.
    It's likely worth consideration, but I spent an hour yesterday on that. On Lion, anyway, it seems that it is still not ready for prime-time. I downloaded and ran a few versions, including some attempts at user-updating for Lion, and it seemed like a wiggy street to wander down.

But can you tell me what Muxing or Demuxing is and how it applies to subtitle addition/deletion?

[ I just tried downloading the official version again for good measure, 2.5.4 for the Mac. It crashes as soon as you open it. ]

-- Gerry
    Last edited by BlabberBlabber; 26th Jan 2012 at 20:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ffmpegX supports subtitles, but because of a mencoder bug it does not handle properly text font and size.
    I've spent an afternoon trying to get around that, with no success.
    At the end, I had to start up my virtual machine with win7 and use avanti + avisynth ... worked at first try
    http://avanti.arrozcru.com/

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Robik. I don't have additional computers to use for such tasks, thankfully--I've got enough woes on my current platform!

My experience was that subtitles were not output, though I've tried so many different pieces of claptrap utility software to address merging avi and srt that my memories are getting wiggy. I do remember that the last output was choppy--too choppy to consider it viable video, so the subtitles became irrelevant.

All my frustration have been addressed, by running avi/srt through Submerge. I output them m4v ("Apple TV") and can then burn with Toast 11. Sadly I have to go through two encoding passes, one for each program, making the total time elapsed about 4 hours. At least I have a good book to read.

Then the titles are burned right into the image, so can't be divorced for culling still frames or anything.

Ah well; take it or leave it.

-- Gerry
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlabberBlabber View Post
    Using: mac os 10.7.2, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4G Ram.

I've tried this a number of ways but cannot get ffmpegX to load a .srt file and output video with subtitles. I've followed the instructions in the How-To as indicated. But it did not work.
    I've come up with my own solution--seemingly the only recourse for most video software and the mac.

The reason it was disregarding my "load subs" information was because the directories in question had dashes and parentheses in them. I'm not sure which cause load problems, but i suggest one removes all non alpha characters from the hierarchy in which the file is located before beginning the process.

I've not found what the VOB Subtitle parameters mean, one of which is a number and the other two are selects between burn/.idx/.srt.

After going through this process, input an AVI and out put another AVI DivX, I then burn the thing using Toast where it is all re-encoded yet again. The whole process takes about twice as long as I'd like, but it works.

Next quest: Trying to figure out how to produce the thing directly into a VOB structure with "soft subtitling". That was my original intent, but I've settles for far less.

While on the endlessly miserable topic of subtitles and video, can anyone give me directions with the GUI interface (ffmpegX) on how to take a VOB structure and output an AVI plus a .srt file?

-- Gerry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlabberBlabber View Post
    I've not found what the VOB Subtitle parameters mean, one of which is a number and the other two are selects between burn/.idx/.srt.
    These parameters can be set for mencoder encodings.
    The checkbox VOB Subtitles is for finding VOB-style subtitles in the source file. Most notably in .VOB files in a VIDEO_TS folder.
    The number drop down is for selecting the "language", by name or stream number. If your source is a VIDEO_TS folder, then you could expect names for the streams.
    The burn/idx/srt drop down is for selecting what to do with any subtitles that the app may find. "Burn" will burn the subtitles into the video while encoding. "idx" will try to extract the subtitles as VobSub .idx+.sub pair of files. "srt" will try to extract the subtitles as SubRip .srt file as part of the process, using OCR. This "srt" option will likely need some help from the operator, as some characters may be tough to recognize.
    The "idx" and "srt" options can also be used without any video encoding, by choosing for "Extract".
    Also see: www.ffmpegX.com/filters.html

Originally Posted by BlabberBlabber
    Next quest: Trying to figure out how to produce the thing directly into a VOB structure with "soft subtitling". That was my original intent, but I've settles for far less.
    Open your source file. Set a DVD preset (DVD mpeg2enc or DVD ffmpeg). In Filters, do not set "VOB Subtitles". Choose you text based (!) subtitle file (e.g. .srt) using the "Load subs" button. If you use DVD mpeg2enc, then make sure "Decode with mplayer" is NOT checked, as that would hard sub, and the goal here is soft subs. Encode.
    If all goes well, the ffmpegX should convert the video and audio into an .mpg file, then it would encode the subtitles into a DVD compliant stream, then it would author a VIDEO_TS folder with files, containing VOBs that have video, audio and subtitles.
    If you already have an .mpg file and .srt file, then you could skip the conversion, and use the Tools>Author, to start authoring a VIDEO_TS folder directly.
    Also see: www.ffmpegX.com/dvd_sub.html

If you burn using Toast, make sure to select the Video>VIDEO_TS Folder option, so that Toast will burn the VIDEO_TS folder as-is. The Video>DVD-Video option would wreck the ffmpegX output and lose the subs in the process.

Originally Posted by BlabberBlabber
    While on the endlessly miserable topic of subtitles and video, can anyone give me directions with the GUI interface (ffmpegX) on how to take a VOB structure and output an AVI plus a .srt file?
    http://www.ffmpegX.com/videots_divx.html
    Use either XviD mencoder or DivX mencoder preset.
    You could use the Extract feature described above.
    (But you might find that the VOB>SRT OCR in AVIDemux needs less help from the user.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've come up with my own solution for AVI + SRT files.
    - input AVI
    - in the Video Tab choose any kind of video codec but only with (ffmpeg) engine
    - check the Framerate ( should be 29.97)
    - in the Filters Tab load the SRT ( do not change font and text encoding)
    - most important Options Tab use option Decode with QT
    If your source video is DivX movie, you'll need to install 3ivx.com and DivX.com codecs.
    Quote Quote