VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I see some old posts across these forums about live video streaming but was wondering if someone could summarise for me roughly what i need to be looking for.

I work for a popular beach bar in Ibiza and we are looking at the possibility of streaming every day from our location. We already have our lawyer on the case for licenses to stream copyrighted music and I think we would like to use a top of the range iMac with Wirecast to stream.

What I need to know is what cameras are good now, in 2012 and what features I would need.

I think having 7 still/fixed cameras will be enough for what we need. So they don't need to move around but don't need to be fixed either, we are open to this. But they do need to be durable as 3 or 4 of them will be kept outside at all times.

The quality we will stream at will be around 480 (dpi or px, not sure which one but basically the 480 option on youtube is roughly the level we want to do).

We will be broadcasting the audio as well (as said) but we have all the equipment setup for that already.

We would like 2 or 3 good cameras that will be the main source of the video and then 3 or 4 "feeder" cameras that will be positioned for alternate views that we can jump to now and again to show the bigger picture.

All input appreciated, thank you very much!

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kevindougans View Post
    Hi there,

I see some old posts across these forums about live video streaming but was wondering if someone could summarise for me roughly what i need to be looking for.

I work for a popular beach bar in Ibiza and we are looking at the possibility of streaming every day from our location. We already have our lawyer on the case for licenses to stream copyrighted music and I think we would like to use a top of the range iMac with Wirecast to stream.

What I need to know is what cameras are good now, in 2012 and what features I would need.

I think having 7 still/fixed cameras will be enough for what we need. So they don't need to move around but don't need to be fixed either, we are open to this. But they do need to be durable as 3 or 4 of them will be kept outside at all times.

The quality we will stream at will be around 480 (dpi or px, not sure which one but basically the 480 option on youtube is roughly the level we want to do).

We will be broadcasting the audio as well (as said) but we have all the equipment setup for that already.

We would like 2 or 3 good cameras that will be the main source of the video and then 3 or 4 "feeder" cameras that will be positioned for alternate views that we can jump to now and again to show the bigger picture.

All input appreciated, thank you very much!

Kevin
    Wirecast directly supports DV format cameras connected IEEE-1394 (Firewire) for 720x576 input to Wirecast. Alternately HDV camcorders can be used to stream 720x576 or 1440x1080. Wirecast upstream resolution can be set in menus to 640x480 or other resolutions. Note that AVCHD cams DO NOT support live streaming unless HDMI to SDI converters are used.

A few issues with Firewire.

1. Cable length is limited to 5m unless 5m extenders are used. For longer runs there are options.

2. Current iMacs don't support Firewire. Beyond that you need 7 Firewire inputs (one for each camera). You will need a MacPro tower. An older used model is possible so long as it meets Wirecast recommended spec. Consult with Telestream for recommended configuration for 7 switchable cameras.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for getting back to me.

i didn't know about the 5m limit, thanks for the headsup.

i've got 2 spaces in my imac for firewire, its brand new (1 month old) and top of the range if i remember correctly.

i was thinking/hoping to use the 2 firewire spots for 2 of the main cameras that would be shooting most of the coverage. then i was thinking for 4 or 5 on usb? or usb not fast enough??

cheers!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was just thinking there we could use an external (hardware) video input switch and monitor for the camera feeds then just have 1 camera feed going to the computer coming from the switch...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kevindougans View Post
    I was just thinking there we could use an external (hardware) video input switch and monitor for the camera feeds then just have 1 camera feed going to the computer coming from the switch...
    It would be nice to use the Wirecast mixer for at least the two main cams. An upstream switch feeding USB may work for the other cams. You should consult with a Wirecast VAR or call Telestream for help with specific recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nice one. Just wanted general opinions, we're not stuck on wirecast but seen it in action before and liked it so thought that would be a good starting point. Open to all suggestions if anyone else has any. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although Wirecast is the leader for broadcast style streaming, the next competitor is VidBlaster.

http://www.telestream.net/wire-cast/overview.htm
    http://vidblaster.com/
    Quote Quote