VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to load specific .vob files (taken from a standard DVD) sans problem on Premiere CS5.5 under Snow Leopard. Has been a time I did that, yet today I noticed they didn't loaded anymore on Lion and the "unsupported compression type" message was displayed. I installed a bunch of stuff like the functional Premiere Pro content and the elusive MPEG2 component and now they are imported in Premiere, but they don't show audio nor video (image is black, audio track is missing) and only the "length" is detected. The files themselves play without problem in Quicktime, VLC and MPEG Streamclip.
    Last edited by Atoon; 25th Jan 2012 at 09:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hope you must have figured-out, by the the time I am replying your post. Anyway...
    You can demux-and-remux vob to mpg without re-encoding by using tools such as MPEG2 Works (commercial), Datura, ffmpegX or any as there are tons out here!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have just done that. The demuxed video stills displays entirely black and the demuxed audio says it has an "unsupported compression type".
    My pet peeve is that the very same .vob files used to import in Premiere Pro without problem under Snow Leopard (videos are MPEG-TS, video is MPEG-2 and audio is AC3), yet under Lion it don't work at all. I assume something got unnistalled in the process, yet I can't figure what.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have tuned Snow Leopard perfectly - I hate adding any new things, removing any, trying new things or upgrading to Lion.
    I have no experience on Lion how it differs from Snow Leopard.
    I guess you are missing some codecs that AP does not recognize mpg in Lion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Snow leopard may not like Lion, Try Fuzzy Chicken.

P.S. There's a Mac forum.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Lion is all about controlling what users can do with a mac. Why, just so apple can appease the minds of the movie studio execs and get to offer hit movies on itune. That's also why soon you'll only be able to get programs from the app store.

Try Perian.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perian would help if the Audio is AC3 or anything other than PCM.

Did you use the utility from Squared Soft and the Quicktime DMG installer,
    or did you use just the Utility and the codec ?
    What happens if you install Quicktime 7 on your Lion Machine, and then
    reinstall the Quicktime Mpeg-2 Codec?
    Does Premiere then recognize the VOBs? Premiere may be the key here;
    it may be dependent on Quicktime 7 being present, not Quicktime X.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Lion is all about controlling what users can do with a mac. Why, just so apple can appease the minds of the movie studio execs and get to offer hit movies on itune.
    Very astute observation. I like your thinking
    Quote Quote  
  9. (Sorry for the other thread; I was a bit confused as I wanted to update the topic)

When I had Snow Leopard Premiere Pro CS5.5 imported .VOB files (MPEG-2 video with AC3 audio) with video and audio without problem. I had Quicktime 7 installed with the MPEG-2 component. Now in Lion Premiere says it don't recognize the format. I re-installed the MPEG-2 component (Squared 5 way) and now imports, but the video is just a black still and the audio is missing. I have Perian installed too but it don't seems to have any effect.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the latest CS5.5 updates applied?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform=Macintosh

Also, make sure OS and drivers etc. are up to date.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have the latest version of all and still don't work.
    Quote Quote