VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

With some guidance from Baldrick, I finally managed to get VirtualDub working on my machine. I'm now trying to stabilise my videos using the Deshaker v2.5 plugin, but am not getting much luck.

I have read through the guides on the Deshaker site, and also followed the tutorial here: http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/deshaker_guide.htm

I have seen some amazing results from people using Deshaker, and am only trying at the moment with a fairly simple clip. I have attached it (apologies for the size). It is deliberately shakey, and I also change the focus. However, when I run it through Deshaker, I see barely any improvement. The clip is still shakey, and actually blurs at times when I would expect it to be clear (especially when I haven't messed with the focus).

I have also attached a screenshot of the settings I've set in Deshaker (after playing around & reading a few tutorials).

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers as to how best to tackle this. I am currently just opening the .MTS (AVCHD) file. Is there any prework I need to do prior to opening the video in VirtualDub? I am using a Panasonic Lumix GX1 (1080i PAL).

Many thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	deshaker.jpg
Views:	3471
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	10656  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open your video. Add the Deshaker filter. Press the Pass 1 button in the top left. Make any needed adjustments in the Pass 1 Parameters section (the defaults are usually ok to start with). Close the Deshaker and Filters dialog. Select File -> Run Video Analysis Pass. Wait for it to complete. Go back to the Deshaker Dialog and press the Pass 2 button near the top left area. Make any adjustments in the Pass 2 Parameters box. Close the dialogs and go back to the main window. You can now scrub through the video and see the results of deshaking and saver your results.

Your camcorder has a big rolling shutter problem so you'll want to enable that in Deshaker. And Deshaker won't help with the motion blur.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Jan 2012 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks jagabo. I have been following those basic Deshaker instructions - Pass 1, then Play 0, then Pass 2 - however it doesn't seem to be stabilising the video that much. I'm just wondering if there's anything I've got wrong in the actual Pass settings, or if there are any particular settings which help stabilise clips better?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Deshaker is good for smoothing out handheld pans, rotation, and zoom - but Deshaker won't help much with that type of video much

CMOS rolling shutter - you see the "jello" shakes - it won't touch that

Blurry out of focus video - it cannot keep track elements if it's blurry (it cannot distinguish between what is what)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks poisondeathray. I've noticed even if I'm shooting handheld, and not shaking that much (just natural unsteadiness) I still get the "jello" shakes on my output. It's a little disappointing, as I have seen some really good before & after comparisons using Deshaker with pretty extreme up & down shake (like running etc.) Any other programs you could recommend to stabilise the video?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have seen some really good before & after comparisons using Deshaker with pretty extreme up & down shake (like running etc.) Any other programs you could recommend to stabilise the video?
    The "jello" from rolling shutter is a different "can of worms" than normal shaking. The latter can be "fixed", but the jello cannot be, at least with current technology . You can fix linear skew from rolling shutter, but vibrational jello is impossible to fix with decent results . The reason is vibrations occur in many different directions and are almost impossible to predict and correlate with the scan rate of the sensor

The examples you have seen probably were shot with CCD sensors, or didn't have "jello"

After effects CS5 has partial rolling shutter correction, and there are plugins from the foundry, but not even $5000 - $10000 programs can stabilize that type of artifact properly, they can only improve it slightly
    Quote Quote  
  7. In case that didn't make sense, cheap consumer CMOS sensors have a low scan rate and parts of the frame are exposed at different points in time. So you encounter flash banding artifacts, skew, jello problems. By the time the top portion of the frame is scanned, the camera has already moved before the lower part is scanned, so the frame doesn't really match up. It wouldn't be that bad if the movement was linear, then you can use algorithms to predict the skew and correct for it. In fact that's what many rolling shutter plugins do, and they do improve linear skew quite well. But jello from vibrations occur in many different directions and it's almost impossible to calculate - the motion vectors are all over the place

You can get CMOS sensors with global shutter, but not at today's consumer prices . These are immune to those problems, because the entire frame is exposed at the same time

You can look up "rolling shutter" there should be dozens of articles on it on the internet. IT's prevalent today, because 99% of consumer cameras use CMOS sensors now, they used to be predominatly CCD 5-10 years ago
    Quote Quote  
  8. Deshaker made a big difference in the shaking when I tried it. Unfortunately, the video looked worse because all the jello and motion blur without the shaking looked very unnatural. Xvid AVI attached, half size. I enabled the rolling shutter adjustment and left it at the default 88 percent, I cranked the motion smoothness settings up to 100,000, and I used the fill edge with earlier/later frames option.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chaps, the deshaker web page has a full explanation of the rolling shutter jello thing and a list of rolling shutter percentages you can apply in Deshaker to cure it. Also gives the method for working out the rolling shutter % for a given camera.
    Quote Quote