VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Cinavia on DVDs has been known for some time, it's just less common than on BDs. Most studios won't pay what is costs.
    There's a huge installed base of DVD players that cannot be upgraded to support Cinavia. So there's no point in putting it on DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just bought a NIB 2010 LG BX580 solely to be able to play my backups. LG has very little revision history out there. I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with a very helpful young man who went forward in the revisions for me and found that the last revision before Cinavia is from 11/15/11. It is called bd.8.42.130.d. I searched and can't find it. Anyone know where I might get it?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Cinavia on DVDs has been known for some time, it's just less common than on BDs. Most studios won't pay what is costs.
    There's a huge installed base of DVD players that cannot be upgraded to support Cinavia. So there's no point in putting it on DVDs.
    Sony disagrees with you. But then again, they are paranoid about copying to extreme. Check the Jackie Chan remake of "Karate Kid" as an example of a region 1 DVD with Cinavia.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    e30cabrio - No, I don't know where you can get it, but be warned that it's not possible on some players to downgrade firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The unit I bought is from 2010 in an unopened box. That "should" mean it has whatever it came with from LG in 2010. The manual makes no reference to Cinavia so I am hopeful it will not have it.

I found it here since my post:

http://www.lg.com/id/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=BX5...roduct-profile

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My sister has made backups of video disks legally purchased by her daughter, for her daughter, because the grandkids, young children, really don't get along very well for very long with video disks. Replacing disks destroyed by a 5 and 7 year old can be frequent and get very costly. So the addition of Cinavia will cause the loss of disk purchases by at least one family with little kids.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have only ripped material that I have legally and have resisted piracy to date - not either torrenting films or accepting offers of USB sticks with downloaded films on them from friends. It just didn't feel right......

However, I note that it's essentially only legally purchased material that is encumbered with this crap, and has disks that can do nasty things to your players firmware etc, whereas pirated content on a non-Cinavia player (eg VLC or an older WD TV) will work just fine. Therefore, in a stunning display of genius, the purveyors of this abomination seem to be trying to fight piracy by ensuring that purchased product is more crippled and less valuable than a pirated equivalent.

Personally, if the studios want to repay my "doing the right thing" by screwing me over like this, on top of the unskippable promos & FBI warnings and disk zonings etc that I already suffer but the pirates don't, then I will have to give serious thought to changing my position on piracy!

If they want to treat me with contempt and won't respect my rights, I se no particular reason to keep respecting theirs......
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mail2tom View Post
    My sister has made backups of video disks legally purchased by her daughter, for her daughter, because the grandkids, young children, really don't get along very well for very long with video disks. Replacing disks destroyed by a 5 and 7 year old can be frequent and get very costly. So the addition of Cinavia will cause the loss of disk purchases by at least one family with little kids.

This is precisely my problem. My kids have destroyed more disks than I can remember so I started copying them AFTER I bought them.

Now my PS3 loses sound so I did research and found the simplest solution was a pre Cinavia player so I bought this 2010 model.

Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    I have only ripped material that I have legally and have resisted piracy to date - not either torrenting films or accepting offers of USB sticks with downloaded films on them from friends. It just didn't feel right......

However, I note that it's essentially only legally purchased material that is encumbered with this crap, and has disks that can do nasty things to your players firmware etc, whereas pirated content on a non-Cinavia player (eg VLC or an older WD TV) will work just fine. Therefore, in a stunning display of genius, the purveyors of this abomination seem to be trying to fight piracy by ensuring that purchased product is more crippled and less valuable than a pirated equivalent.

Personally, if the studios want to repay my "doing the right thing" by screwing me over like this, on top of the unskippable promos & FBI warnings and disk zonings etc that I already suffer but the pirates don't, then I will have to give serious thought to changing my position on piracy!

If they want to treat me with contempt and won't respect my rights, I se no particular reason to keep respecting theirs......
    I could not agree more. It is like gun laws. The criminals have all the guns they want seeing as they pay no attention to the rules.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Sony disagrees with you. But then again, they are paranoid about copying to extreme. Check the Jackie Chan remake of "Karate Kid" as an example of a region 1 DVD with Cinavia.
    Perhaps they were banking on most consumers having replaced their DVD players with BR, in which case the Cinavia would take effect when the BR players play such DVDs.

I'm so sick of dumbed down or disabled controls on my Samsung BR that give you a "Not Available" when trying to skip over the promos, warnings, and whatever other junk they force you to play, instead of being able to go directly to the Disc Menu as is easily done on my DVD player.

Originally Posted by jman98
    No, I don't know where you can get it, but be warned that it's not possible on some players to downgrade firmware.
    A few makes / models have had different firmware releases that could be downloaded.
    Before putting any $$ into another BR unit, I would first have to confirm that this was possible. Otherwise, they won't see another dime from me.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by e30cabrio
    I could not agree more. It is like gun laws. The criminals have all the guns they want seeing as they pay no attention to the rules.
    I agree with Chopmeister as well, but that is not a particularly apt analogy. [Breaking News this morning: 17 people shot in a bar in Alabama.] I don't think you can cite any optical discs that have killed viewers. (Notwithstanding that the Japanese probably have a horror movie for that, much as they've done for cell phones, etc.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am not suggesting disks kill (although I have seen some movies during which being dead seemed better) My point criminals gonna commit crime.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to this. I was not aware of Cinavia until I purchased a BR player in Dec. 2012 from LG and tried to play The Amazing Spider Man. About 15 minutes into the playback the audio stopped and the message box filled the screen stating Cinavia detected. I researched this new protection scheme and decided I needed to give the player to my grandson and find another Panasonic DMP-BD60. The LG only set me back $38.00. It also is able to play MKV files and plays The Amazing Spiderman, as a MKV, just fine without issues. Amazon sponsored stores are raping the customers asking over $270.00 for the player. I found them on eBay for over $300.00. I did find one seller that had a brand new one that was made in 2009 and never been out of the box for $80.00. I suspect this person didn't know what they had. I purchased it and it works fine. I now have two of these Panasonics. I have firmware Ver. 2.5 update that was released on 2-5-2012 and it plays the BD just fine having used DVDFab QT8or 9 to bust and copy Movie Only. Used NERO 11 to burn the disc. If anyone needs a copy of this firmware, let me know and I will email it. It is 32,049kb and is called PANA_DVD.FRM.(2-5-2012)

I am converting all of my discs to MKV using Handbrake after using MakeMKVor directly from the DVDFab output folder. Using Patriot PBO or KWORLD M130 players and connecting them via USB2 to WD AV HDD of 2TB size formatted to exFAT. Playback is justlike watching the DVD or the BR. I am planning on about 2,000 movies on a HDD. (DVD) of course. MKV size after a full copy as if going to BD50 will give an on disc size of about 11GB per movie. DVD gives about a 1GB per movie. I have not had any issues playing theMKVs. DVD5 to MKV takes about 6 to 8 minutes on an i7 2600k CPU sending to SATA3 SSD64GB working scratch pad and having 18GB RAM. Hope this is of some interest and is helpful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jcljr View Post
    I found them on eBay for over $300.00. I did find one seller that had a brand new one that was made in 2009 and never been out of the box for $80.00. I suspect this person didn't know what they had. I purchased it and it works fine. I now have two of these Panasonics.
    Sounds like you really lucked out. (Or, should that be lucked IN ?) [Curious, some of these old expressions . . . . ]

Although I had to spend many times what you did, an opportunity came my way to purchase a used but nearly pristine OPPO BR -- probably their most sought after model, with the right firmware, and some key now discontinued features -- and I decided to go for it. It's outstanding, and that turned out to be a great decision. About all you could ask for in a BR player. NO Cinavia, of course. A pleasure to use, everything the other player most certainly wasn't. (I don't know if it does 3D disc playback, but I really don't care about that one way or the other.) Even if the risk of an unwanted update is low, I may never connect it to the internet, just as the original owner chose not to do. I too will be giving the previous player to a relative.

The purveyors of Cinavia can Go **** Themselves !!!
    Last edited by Seeker47; 12th Jan 2013 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Wait for the dvd /bluray release . Don't download warez.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 6th Jun 2013 at 16:35. Reason: no warez discussions
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aside from the fact we do not discuss pirated Dl's

i thought Cinavia was implemented on the disc, causing audio problems with copies

not on the OEM studio film being displayed in the theater,
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    i thought Cinavia was implemented on the disc, causing audio problems with copies

It's in theater soundtracks too. It's designed to survive being recorded with a camcorder in a theater.
    Quote Quote  
  17. netmask56 said,

Don't know if Soniq is available in North America but mine certainly plays both BluRay and DVD totally region free. It seems to able to play anything from the proverbial piece of string to the latest Blu Ray releases. Cost au$75
    So if this is true (region free Blue Ray and no Cinavia), then why not just buy a bunch of these players mail order?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Mark97213 View Post
    Are there any older stand alone DVD Players with HDMI out that doesn't have the Cinavia firmware that will play my back up DVD's? Something I might find on e bay for example?

buy 2010 or before, if it work keep it, if it does not take it back, the likelihood is it will.
    As well, you could test on a new b ray player, take it back, if it does not play an infected video with cinevia.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    netmask56 said,

Don't know if Soniq is available in North America but mine certainly plays both BluRay and DVD totally region free. It seems to able to play anything from the proverbial piece of string to the latest Blu Ray releases. Cost au$75
    So if this is true (region free Blue Ray and no Cinavia), then why not just buy a bunch of these players mail order?
    your player is not old but old enough to the implementation of cinevia .
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post

It's in theater soundtracks too. It's designed to survive being recorded with a camcorder in a theater.
    no is in the player and the copied video not on the video taken.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by jcljr View Post
    I found them on eBay for over $300.00. I did find one seller that had a brand new one that was made in 2009 and never been out of the box for $80.00. I suspect this person didn't know what they had. I purchased it and it works fine. I now have two of these Panasonics.
    Sounds like you really lucked out. (Or, should that be lucked IN ?) [Curious, some of these old expressions . . . . ]

Although I had to spend many times what you did, an opportunity came my way to purchase a used but nearly pristine OPPO BR -- probably their most sought after model, with the right firmware, and some key now discontinued features -- and I decided to go for it. It's outstanding, and that turned out to be a great decision. About all you could ask for in a BR player. NO Cinavia, of course. A pleasure to use, everything the other player most certainly wasn't. (I don't know if it does 3D disc playback, but I really don't care about that one way or the other.) Even if the risk of an unwanted update is low, I may never connect it to the internet, just as the original owner chose not to do. I too will be giving the previous player to a relative.

The purveyors of Cinavia can Go **** Themselves !!!
    2010 or older will do.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    cinevia is like a copy protection, where the dvd or b ray cisc communicates with the player and displays the water mark code1 2 3
    Solution, is laptop with hdmi, 2010 or older DVD b ray player, PS# with original firmware, avoid upgrading it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Israel1969 View Post
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post

no, it is in the player.
    The Cinavia signal can be in a theater soundtrack -- which is what the question was about. Detection of that signal is in the player, obviously.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Cinavia works along with the implementation of blue ray players companies like Sony Samsung etc. What these companies agreed on , is to add a medium in the sound stream and video stream that will be detected by a software in the b ray player and allow 20 min play then give you the no sound and nuisance message. Now at theater, the player or system they do not have the Cinevia but the medium is the video stream being played so if you cam the movie, you will be catching the cinevia medium which eventually will go and be detected by the B ray player.
    1. The solution and 100 % solution. is to play the blue ray copy or movie copied in whatever format in a B ray/dvd player early 2011 or before, to make sure no firmware upgade is allowed, it contain the Cinevia detection software. I have several Blue rays and the old ones do not have the Cinevia softw.
    2. Use a lap top and stream via HDMI, Vga to TV.
    3. Use a Ps3 and return the date to an earler date, and not take upgrades.
    The last route if you like new players, buy them test them with and infected Cinevia file, if it plays well, keep it, it does not return it and get another brand and do the same until you find a brand which is not aligned with the profiteers Sony Samsung and blue ray disc makers.
    Last, this issue is being worked by our geniuses, already....believe me 2 thing are going to happen, 1 this Cinevia will be taken care of, and the blue ray will die the same way HD video and beta and the 8 track, and laser disc....so be patient, with al the flash memories going around the Blue ray format is sure to be killed sonn, is alredy suffering fro the Netflix , Hulu, Amazon ailment.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong on most accounts.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  26. The most important issue for us consumers, is to be together on the demise of the Cinavia nuisance. to agreed on making them go out of business with issues we dislike as a majority. No matter exactly how the medium and detection takes place for the average downloader and movie copier and end user, it does for those working in riding of the nuisance Cinevia. I like an additional, issue which may or may not be part of the Cinevia virus.....When playing for the first time those infected or copied B ray, Dvd, Vcds, keep the net work disabled. I any one like to test it with and with out network and with an infected B-ray/Dvd, or Vcd please post the results.
    Quote Quote