VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. A few of my old FLV files were recently corrupted, after I attempted to import them into Adobe Encore CS5. Before the import, the files played fine. The attempted import hung Encore, and after that, I get the following error in VLC player when I try to play them.

No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
    No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

It looks like it changed the formats for video and audio from AVI/MP3 to undf. Is there a tool I can use to split these out and correct them? I tried using FLV Extract, but it didn’t output anything. It likely doesn’t recognize the files either. These are very rare videos, and I would love to repair them if at all possible. Any ideas how to repair these files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is the mediainfo details? Open video and view->text and paste it here.

Try open it in avidemux and see how it works.

If you have a short sample you can also post it and we can test it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What is the mediainfo details? Open video and view->text and paste it here.

Try open it in avidemux and see how it works.

If you have a short sample you can also post it and we can test it.
    Here is the text from mediainfo:

General
    Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder\Bad file 1.flv
    Format : Flash Video
    File size : 24.7 MiB
    liveXML : <?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
    Video
    Audio

Not much help I'm afraid. I also tried to open in avidemux, but the file just crashed.

I have put up the bad files on a share, along with a good one that was posted at the same time, so likely has the same formats as the bad ones before they were corrupted. If someone can take a look and figure out what the problem is, I would very much appreciate it!

http://www.longliverock.org/BadFiles/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try Staxrip.
    In case u'r an expert in encoding/codecs, make sure u download the necessary codecs individually and avoid codec packs. If not then go for K-lite codec-pack before u use Staxrip. Read the hints about Staxrip on this page. Then open the bad Flv's with Staxrip to seperate audio and video.
    It looks like you'll have to re-encode these files to repair.

However, Staxrip is the BEST encoding app for free and beats even most of the non-free encoding apps available.

---------

Holly sh** I just downloaded one of the files, that looks pretty weird. Can't even find a stream.
    Give an attempt with FormatFactory, if this doesn't work neither check out what other possibilities you have using Adobe Encore CS5 again.
    Last edited by Staxer; 23rd Jan 2012 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried some repair tools. They can't find any video.

I doubt staxrip can't do anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Before I go DL'ing from some fileshare, why don't you show us the FULL MediaInfo text, not just the "general" section? That would help a LOT.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's the problem, even mediainfo surrenders.

Go for Adobe Encore CS5 export/convert functions if available.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm having the same problem. I'm downloading .flv files from amazon with tubedigger and only 1/4 of them work after downloaded. About 3/4 turn out all bad. Here's a sample of one of the bad files using all the info from mediainfo:

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\CM\Desktop\KING OF THE HILL 13x02 - EARTHLY GIRLS ARE EASY.flv
    File size : 261 MiB
    Duration : 44mn 0s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 829 Kbps
    Encoded date : unknown
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-06-19 04:04:30
    Tagging application : Manitu Group FLV MetaData Injector 2
    trackinfo_length : 31686655.000 / 63374336.000
    trackinfo_timescale : 24000.000 / 48000.000
    trackinfo_language : eng / eng
    trackinfo_sampledescription_samp : encv / enca
    liveXML : <?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
    Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Codec ID : 7
    Duration : 44mn 0s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 0
    Maximum bit rate : 3 750 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Stream size : 107 Bytes (0%)
    Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
    Audio
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 10
    Duration : 22mn 0s
    Bit rate : 0
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : 22mn 0s
    Stream size : 37.0 Bytes (0%)

If anyone can help, PLEASE email me a response. THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to get most of Carriepr's files corrected and that left a sync problem but we were able to to fix that with Virtualdub. There was some added data at beginning of file that had to be stripped out with HxD editor and then MetaData added back in. The reason no codec could be found and mediainfo gave up , etc. was the extra data Adobe evidently inserted at the beginning. All in all it took:

1. HxD editor ( Must know format of an FLV file)
    2. FLVExtract (to separate audio/vido files. They were unequal lengths, hence the sync problem)
    3. VirtualDub to Mux together, making them equal duration to fix the gradually worsening audio sync

Also, I have found some downloaders, if the video is not at the beginning of playing, will download garboogey that nothing will fix. Real Player downloader is one example of this. Now I always reset to start and then download.

If you need any more info please shoot me an email and I will see if I can help.
    Thanks
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
  10. Another issue with the new DRM 2.0 protection...

I was not able to get it to work. I used tubedigger to download another video from Amazon and I'm running into the same problem with another video. It wants to open but no picture and the sound is all fuzz (like a dolby digutal test signal). I don't know what the problem is. I did get an email from the tubedigger software company and they agreed its a new DRM protection with a new form of flash player. I don't know anything about how to break into this one. Do you know how I can get this file to work? It's the Tiny Toon Adventures How I Spent My Summer Vacation movie. Apparently its a "FLASH ACCESS 2.0 DRM". Here's all the info from mediainfo:

General
    CompleteName : G:\TUBEDIGGER\c57ee248-eda3-44bb-a0d2-e2d0214ebb50-348.flv
    FileSize/String : 775 MiB
    OverallBitRate_Mode/String : Variable

Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format_Profile : High@L3.1
    Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes
    Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 5 frames
    CodecID : 7
    BitRate_Mode/String : Variable
    BitRate_Maximum/String : 1 800 Kbps
    Width/String : 640 pixels
    Height/String : 480 pixels
    DisplayAspectRatio/String : 4:3
    FrameRate/String : 29.970 fps
    ColorSpace : YUV
    ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
    BitDepth/String : 8 bits
    ScanType/String : Progressive

Audio

As you can see, there's no audio in the audio section. I don't know what's going on but I do suspect it to be this new flash DRM protection mentioned above. Thanks for any help you can do!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Staxer View Post
    avoid codec packs. If not then go for K-lite codec-pack
    "Expert" or not, avoid codec packs, period.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by Staxer View Post
    avoid codec packs. If not then go for K-lite codec-pack
    "Expert" or not, avoid codec packs, period.
    Yay, the truth. If the developer ... and sometimes that's a very loose term ... can't get it to work properly with windows without those stupid kludges why should I want it on my hard drive?

A substantial part of why I use linux now is those damn codecs. I used to use linux ports to avoid that in windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As ORIGINALLY stated, (paraphrased) if you have windows and you download, play or convert or capture, most likely the file WILL be compressed (codec compressed) because uncompressed takes a lototttttttt of bandwidth and time. According to wiki:
    Operating system statistics on WikimediaWindows 7  
    38.58%Windows Vista  
    6.98%Windows XP  
    21.75%Windows (other)  
    1.43%Mac OS X  
    7.78%iOS  
    10.70%Linux  
    1.55%Android  
    5.26%Other  
    5.97%Usage shares of operating systems as of August 2012[update][1]

so if you do NOT have Windows, that is great that your OS will uncompress a compressed video. But if you have Windows
    and you NEED a codec pack, I'd also recommend K-Lite because it works, and allows VirtualDub, Avanti, AVS4YOU, Media Player and many other to do what you want to work properly with Windows and already contains FFDshow. I ALSO agree that there a lot of codec packs and individual codecs that just add to the conflicts for your players/decoders. Stay away from them.
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
  14. I Agree with Budman1! I have worked with windows since it came out in 3.1 form, and I also am a video developer. Avoid most codec packs EXCEPT k-lite codec packs. They are the only valid packs that have been successful and not caused any conflicts in any of my systems. If you must, at least get the k-lite basic pack. That will install the least amount. I personally use the k-lite full installation. Try and avoid the MEGA pack if you don't need it. That's mostly for people that have so many different types of videos with different codecs way out in left field.

Just thought I'd give my two cents to people that are confused about codec packs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    f you have Windows and you NEED a codec pack
    Nobody "needs" a codec pack. That's quite frankly stupid.
    This is why players like VLC now exist -- no system-wide codecs are installed.
    For editing or capturing, install only codecs that are required.

K-Lite is known to be a dangerous as malware to computers.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Speak for yourself lordsmurf. The "NOBODY" you are referring to means literally NOBODY! I need the codec pack for the works that I do. But then again, us professionals know what we're doing. I've used K-lite codec packs for years with no problems ever. VLC is a pretty crappy program, that's why my choice of media player is not VLC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since LordSmurf is quoting me I was going to explain how I need it to use on converting great quantities of graphics and videos which I have been doing for 43 year. Instead I just thought it would be better to let the people here in on some interesting facts and let them decide. I put my cursor over the your list of posts icon and it says 27,054 since joining in 2003. That's roughly 3,006 per year or 8+ a day. I further looked up these posts and in the first 10 I found:

NOBODY needs a codec pack...
    NUISANCE...
    COSTS MORE...
    QUITE FRANKLY STUPID... (twice)
    DAYS OF... ARE OVER.
    HELL NO...
    ALWAYS PISSES ME OFF...
    a heated debate -- which I always win -- with whatever assclown is the manager

What I didn't see is any information that actually helps someone asking for help solve their problem. I guess that would explain the constant hostility. So anyone reading this, decide for yourself if you need a codec pack... or a new hard drive.. or anything else after being helped by some reputable people on this great site. Personally this will be my last post to LordSmurf since I really only tried to help people DECIDE what to use for the freeware utilities that may be missing necessary codecs.

One last item. I tried and tried to create a DVD with menus that used animated buttons and video clips for each chapter with different formats and I could not get VLC to create it. Hmmm.. guess I need REAL video information. Oh, and after working on computers for over 40 years, I use Windows 7 Ultimate WITH K-Lite and I have NO malware on it. Guaranteed, but then, I know how to disassemble and debug to check the code. LOL
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
  18. Right there with you again Budman!

I've been doing this since the beginning of windows 3.1 when I was in high school at that time. I learned computers on monochrome apple machines when I was a kid in the 80's while learning to write software programs for it. I fully agree with the system specs you posted because I run the SAME operating system, SAME "codec pack" and have NO malware as well as build linux and windows based HTPC's.

It's really a shame people who don't know the facts pretend they do. Then again, what do I know? I'm only in the industry, program & build computers, tech for network infrastructures, build DAW's, and write programming scripts. I'm sure lordsmurf knows what he's talking about since his experience is probably still using an ancient computer with windows 98! That would explain why he claims his points are valid. I had that trouble with windows 98, heck even 95. I was on board working with multimedia applications and converting to mp3s & hard drive video back on windows 95! Again, what do I know? My experience sure doesn't show... haha.

In all seriousness, I'm here to help, not criticize anyone. I'm just backing up Budman because he has been extremely helpful and polite with me. ***** Five stars to Budman!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Always glad to hear from a fellow professional Scalon2, and I'm sure those who come here are also. It's the same here with me. I was with IBM for the last 43 years on EVERYTHING from teletype to Water Cooled Mainframes so PC's were "Fun" to fix and use. Before that I started on an ATARI 800 computer and wrote games (of course graphics, lol) in machine language for the 6502 processor, then the 8088 and upward. If anyone wishes to check the accuracy of the statements made for VLC they'd find it uses decompressors called modules as well as FFMPeg and all its codecs. Anyone interested should cruise to:

http://wiki.videolan.org/Codec
    http://www.videolan.org/doc/vlc-user-guide/en/ch02.html#id291422
    http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:VLC_Modules_Loading

VLC is a very fine viewer but they would find the following info directly from the site:

VLC has a core and a lot of MODULES (between 200 and 400 depending on the build).
    VLC cannot do much without modules, since modules are providing most of the functionnalities we expect.
    When VLC needs a "decoder" ("decoder" is one category/capability), it opens all "decoder" MODULES, until one matches.
    It opens them in decreasing score order (bigger score first, smaller ones at the end), and runs the Open() function of the modules. When one module returns OK, VLC uses this module.

Thought everyone knew if you download a video, it will be almost always be COMPRESSED (codec--> Compressor-->decompressor) because uncompressed is large and takes too long to download/upload. And since it's compressed, It doesn't matter if you call it a codec or Module, it is needed to Decompress the video in order to view. Just like you can't view a zipped file unless you unzip it. Call it WinRar or Winzip, it still does the same job. I personally do not use VLC because then I have the default Windows codecs (Original or K-Lite) and 200-400 more. I'd rather have Windows codecs that work on all the other software I have ? This was definitely not researched or professional information.

As Scalon said, I' m here to help with him and we NEVER critisize anyone looking for help.
    Excellent posts Scalon!!!! I'll probably need your obviously knowledgeable assistance in my near future. Glad You're here!
    Thanks
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    in the first 10 I found
    There's not been many good video topic threads recently.
    Most of those are off-topic threads. (And you also selectively quoted. How trollish.)

- VLC uses an internal codec library.
    - K-Lite barfs codecs system-wide, and causes lots of known conflicts.

This is the entire reason self-contained player software was developed.

System-wide codecs are unnecessary for playback.

I'm sure lordsmurf knows what he's talking about since
    I work in media professionally, and have for many years -- and will for many more.

If you don't want to listen, fine. Don't.
    I honestly don't care if you fubar your computer's internal a/v codec system.
    It's all those people who would accidentally follow your bad advice that I feel sorry for.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You don't have to pretend to be us lardsmurf... As for bad advice... hmmm, I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about since I'm very successful and run flawless media networks.

I'm not here to criticize anyone ladies & gentlemen. All I gotta say is that I've had repeat customers and referrals to build control4 whole home and office a/v systems. with 100% satisfaction. I have yet to find one dissatisfied client. I've tested many media programs for years. I know what works best for me AND my clients from experience. If you need help, feel free to drop me a message. As for myself being in the professional a/v field, VLC is a useless piece of garbage. It is designed for the beginner class of people to keep things simple. Granted its a decent program, but there are much better choices out there...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's funny how, over the course of this thread, you've gone from
    - not knowing your ass from your elbow, with something as simple as FLV/MP4 from Youtube
    - to being a video professional/expert

Amusing.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 28th Sep 2012 at 08:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I said before, I do not wish to continue rhetoric that wastes peoples time who need help. To that end, LordSmurf, I have passed your informative comments along to the administrators of this site, including the ass remark. They will decide whatever needs or doesn't need to be decided.
    To those looking for assist on this thread... If You have Windows, it comes with codecs. They play most videos but if they do not play some you need, then you have 2 choices, since most videos are compressed.

1. Load new codecs like K-Lite
    or
    2. Obtain a new video player like Gom, VLC, or Real Media and see if your videos play.

If you wish to use other graphics or mutltimedia programs that have problems because they need new codecs not supplied by windows, which is why you probably came here in the first place, not just to get a new player, the 'internal codec libraries' of the players probably will not help. You are back to needing more codecs as was your original problem except you may have a New Video player with its own additional 'internal libraries' of decompressors. It is this case to which I suggested the best pack available, IN MY OPINION ONLY, and that is K-LITE. There is another pack rising in popularity and that is http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html but I have not used or tested so far. Please check the reviews of ANY products you download.
    Thanks
    Budman1
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It's funny how, over the course of this thread, you've gone from
    - not knowing your ass from your elbow, with something as simple as FLV/MP4 from Youtube
    - to being a video professional/expert

Amusing.
    Ummm... it's not from youtube you fuckin' retard! It's a new DRM protection were trying to break. Of course it's easy to get videos from youtube as well as the majority of other sites. Nobody said anything about YOUTUBE. If that seems to be your only source for videos, then you're less smart than what I imagined...

Very interesting...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The problem I have with codec packs (and I have heard similar things from lordsmurf, pdr, jagabo, edDv and others), is that the shotgun approach runs counter to all the best practices of Troubleshooting: change only one element at a time, isolate the problem, don't introduce new variables, etc.

But Budman1 and scalon2, you should already know this, being such long-term icons of the media industry.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Couldn't agree with you more. If you want to do Multimedia conversions, or recode to your favorite format, something other than just watching your favorite youtube videos, you are going to need codecs because there are LOOOTTTTT of formats that people upload. If you want to work with more than a few formats, you will need a few formats.

That being said, you are correct. But the unfortunate problem, for which I responded, is if you wish to use Virtualdub (and please noone says you should but people do use it here) then you try to use it without a codec pack. Xvid is easy, it has its own codec to install. But it uses the older VFW amd ACM codecs. I could have told the person looking for help to do them one at a time and they would and it may or may not work as you see above in just this one thread. So to save them time and frustration I SUGGESTED the only codec pack I have used IN MY OPINION, that works out of the box, not only to view videos but for Virtualdub, subtitles and a lot more. I never tried to sell anyone and neither did scalon2. They had problem A and I OFFERED solution B.

As far as LordSmurf goes, if you read his original 'SLAM' he says noone needs a codec pack and to get VLC. First the person asking for help didn't want to look at his favorite cartoon, he wanted to alter his videos. There is no way VLC will do what the requester wanted, not for ALL his videos, and it has 200-400 'codecs' (cpntrols) it installs for its own use (right off its web page).

Bottom line? You should install one codec at a time. absolutely right. Let me know when it works for:
    Vidcoder
    FFCoder
    Format Factory
    Freemake Video Converter
    HandBrake
    MediaCoder
    SUPER
    TEncoder
    TX264
    WinFF
    XMedia Recode
    XviD4PSP
    Staxrip

I should probably have done like those fast and jazzy, humble brag people... make a cryptic quote and give no helpful information at all. It just jerks my jaw when people get on here and try to act bright but offer NOTHING that will help the person needing help.
    Your post reads like a friend of LardSmurf so I assume you agree with the 'Frankly stupid' comments as help for people?

As far as being an ICON (Yeah I caught the slam. Brothers?)If you wish go down this column and send a private note to carriepr and ask her how long she was coming here trying to correct her irreplaceable videos and got nowhere. Then ask her who fixed HALF of them for her and SHOWED her what to load to correct the other half. FACTS!

---Quote (Originally by snafubaby)---
    Thanks again, Budman! I installed the aac filter and voila! The video loaded in fine.
    ---End Quote---
    ONE filter ONE fix when thats all it needed. FACTS!

Budman1
    Last edited by Budman1; 2nd Oct 2012 at 01:21. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Budman1, I don't think you really understand how codec packs work. Because most of your last post was nonsense.

Again:
    - Use a player like VLC, mPlayer OS X, GOM, etc for playback. These have internal libraries.
    - Install individual codecs as needed, for system-wide editing or non-standard playback.

Also understand that quite a few professional applications have internal decoding libraries, too, and DO NOT depend on the system-wide codecs. Why? Precisely for the same reasons internal library players were invented: because there are too many easy well-known conflicts that occur from the "shotgun" approach. (More like buckshot, to be precise. You don't want to install a codec pack any more than you want to shoot your dinner with buckshot. It makes a big damned mess that can be almost impossible to correct.) Professional apps seek to be accurate and precise, and not subjected to the whims of the OS (or the damage done to the OS by the user, if that be the case).

The only reason a person "solves" their problem with a codec pack is because they opted for the lazy, incorrect approach. While the flaws of this method may not always be immediately evident (which happens about 50% of the time), it will inevitably become so. The proper method would have been to install ONLY the required codec -- or again, better yet, avoid codec installation entirely if possible.

Install one codec is like taking Advil for a headache.
    Installing a codec pack is like taking one of every pill in the entire pharmacy. It's stupidity.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 2nd Oct 2012 at 02:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LordSmurf,
    I've checked a lot of your comments and you do indeed appear quite intelligent. It's a shame you waste it making nasty remarks and using profanity that helps noone here, just to try to prove it to everyone.

Thank you for your comments. Help for everyone this time.
    Thanks
    Budman1
    Last edited by Budman1; 2nd Oct 2012 at 02:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The issue is, quite frankly, that you're wrong -- yet you argue it.

If anything, the lesson people can take from this thread is: Don't argue with people who know more than you do (on the topic at hand). You're also being passive aggressive; the snide little comments are not fooling anybody here. Discussing my choice of vocabulary is a deflection (and a type of logical fallacy) in attempts to separate yourself from your factually incorrect position.

Understand that the codec pack issue was settled years ago.
    That internal codec libraries now exist is all the proof anybody needs.

I don't really see in the point of further discussing this. Feel free to have the last word.

Maybe you're a swell chap that's really knowledgeable in video tech, but you're not acting like one here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If a user wanted to support multiple, unknown codecs in those apps you listed, it would probably be much safer, professional and more versatile to suggest frameserving from AVISynth using something like ffdshow codec libraries. Lesser footprint = less harm.

Scott
    Quote Quote