VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there. I wonder if anyone can help. Is there any software that can be used on the Panasonic DMR EH59 dvd recorder to remove the copyprotect signal when recording from satelite TV?

P.S I have already tried a video stabilizer/enhancer and used the composite connection but the picture quality is not great.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No software solution, a external filter is your only option.
    Note that filters come in various qualities. Cheaper ones don't look all that great, as you've found. Expect to pay ~$150 for a decent quality S-video/composite filter.
    Another option if you have component outputs on your Sat. would be a component-to-S-video converter. Another advantage of such a converter is it takes the WS component and converts it to WS S-video. Many tuners, especially cable, only output letterbox WS from their SD outputs. Satellite is generally better in that they can output WS(anamorphic) from SD outputs but not always. Here's a link to such a device. Note this one is kind of cheap and therefor the quality may not be to your liking but it gives you an idea. A higher quality converter is again quite a bit higher, probably >$200.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    Note this listing doesn't mention it's "filtering" capabilities, but trust me it works. For legal reasons I believe they omit such benefits of this product.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to jump into the 200 bucks range ... one idea is using a PC to record HI DEF with a Hauppaguge HD PVR ... you connect this device to the component video outputs ... red green blue ... from your Sat box and connect a USB 2.0 cable to your PC and record hi-def video ... the video files will be huge ... about 6 Gigs per hour.

Hauppauge has another version now that plugs into a PCI slot in you PC. I use the USB version.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the Panasonics can't you record to DVD-Ram to get around the 'copy once' protection flag? You might try that and see if it works...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, if your CP is of the "copy once" variety, note you can also record to the HDD in this case but not offload to regular R/RW discs, but most of the time I've found the CP to be a "never copy" variety which requires a filter of some type to backup.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Must be an E50, never saw an E59.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The EH-59 is a international Panasonic with a 250GB HDD, I own one and it's actually quite a nice DVDR. Some of it's features:
    250 GB HDD, USB, DV, 1080p upconverting, +-R, +-RW, RAM, DL, Divx, Gracenote,
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great - thanks. I'll have to check if the sat box has (red,yellow,blue) composite. At the moment I'm just using the yellow. As a matter of interest what are examples of the high end filters out there?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    No software solution, a external filter is your only option.
    Note that filters come in various qualities. Cheaper ones don't look all that great, as you've found. Expect to pay ~$150 for a decent quality S-video/composite filter.
    Another option if you have component outputs on your Sat. would be a component-to-S-video converter. Another advantage of such a converter is it takes the WS component and converts it to WS S-video. Many tuners, especially cable, only output letterbox WS from their SD outputs. Satellite is generally better in that they can output WS(anamorphic) from SD outputs but not always. Here's a link to such a device. Note this one is kind of cheap and therefor the quality may not be to your liking but it gives you an idea. A higher quality converter is again quite a bit higher, probably >$200.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    Note this listing doesn't mention it's "filtering" capabilities, but trust me it works. For legal reasons I believe they omit such benefits of this product.
    Thanks jjeff - what are the more expensive Component to S-video converters?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    The EH-59 is a international Panasonic with a 250GB HDD, I own one and it's actually quite a nice DVDR. Some of it's features:
    250 GB HDD, USB, DV, 1080p upconverting, +-R, +-RW, RAM, DL, Divx, Gracenote,
    That's nice, does it record in HD too? I use an E500.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    That's nice, does it record in HD too? I use an E500.
    Only SD, the E500 was a real top of the line unit in it's day
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the E500 a better quality Component to S-video converter?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The E500H is a '04 400GB Panasonic DVD Recorder. AFA component-to-S-video converters you might want to check out this long thread at AVS. It mentions several different converters from the cheap to more expensive.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=828063&highlight=cheaper
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again jjeff. Will check it out. Quick question though - I've confirmed that my sat box has only one CV output (yellow) would this pose a problem or are there still converters available from this type of CV to s-video?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bjuice View Post
    Thanks again jjeff. Will check it out. Quick question though - I've confirmed that my sat box has only one CV output (yellow) would this pose a problem or are there still converters available from this type of CV to s-video?
    I've never seen a filter that had S-video not have composite, S-video is the thing that's getting harder to find now days.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which satellite receiver do you have? Most of the latest ones in North America still retained the S-video output. Bell 6131/41 and Dishnetwork 211/211K retained them (for example). It seems odd that in SA they would have removed them. I thought the Grex could also remove the copy protect for recording?

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the HD PVR 2P decoder. The output terminals are: CV (yellow), Coaxal, and HDMI. The older decoders had S-Video outputs but it's tuff to get hold of one (discontinued). My DVD recorder has the follwing inputs: CV (yellow) and S-Video.

Which filter/device will offer the best picture quality if cost were not a consideration. I have tried the DP-X7000 that cost me (150USD) but the result is not great.

See below.

Name:  HD PVR 2P.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  4.9 KB
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never heard of anyone complain of the picture quality of the "video filter" brand filter, post #2 of this link gives you a link to it. It's not cheap but not much more than you paid for your DPX(which I have read a few complaints about, mostly black level issues and softening of the picture).
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008164&highlight=video+filter
    I've been thinking about purchasing one myself since my Sima also tends to lighten the picture but haven't yet.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Purchased a Grex - it works great - thanks again to all involved!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bjuice

Can you please say where you sourced the Grex and how much it cost?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ian16th View Post
    Bjuice

Can you please say where you sourced the Grex and how much it cost?
    http://www.amazon.com/digital-video-stabilizer-Capture-Recorder/dp/B004YTW5SI

GREX digital video stabilizer to Copy or Capture any video from VHS, DVD, DVR, Cable Box to DVD Recorder, PC or VCR

by XDIMAX

4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (27 customer reviews) | Like 1346710515 false -1 9 9 8 (9)

Price:$85.00 Deal Price: o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
    Only 10 left in stock.
    Ships from and sold by XDIMAX.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lacywest,

Thanks for the pointer.

I am hoping that bjuice had sourced one within S. Africa allowing me to avoid excessive shipping costs and the bureaucracy of Customs.

Because of problems with theft, Amazon in the USA will not ship to South Africa, Amazon UK will.
    Quote Quote