VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Probably a bit of a daft question, but i've googled for this and cannot for the life of me get anywhere close.

I have 2 Sony Bloggie HD camcorders. I can put them side by side (an eyes distance apart, approx) and create a "left eye" video and a "right eye" video. I'm sure you've figured what i'm trying to do !. I want to know if there is any software out there (preferably free) which i would be able to load these 2 video files into and run them side by side in order to view a "cross eyed" 3D video ?

I have tried a few different programs, "stereo movie player" being one of them, but just cannot get both videos to load. I don't think it was meant for what i'm trying to do !

Is there any software which will let me do what i'm trying to do ?. Obviously it would be handy if the software allowed manual 'markers' to be set on both Right and Left video so that it starts both videos playing from the same frame (because there is always going to be a split second time difference at which point both cameras start recording at, even if i press the record buttons at the same time)

Any ideas ?

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Easy.

AVISynth script (pardon my script rustiness):
    Code:
    Left=DirectShowSource({path}\my_left_video.avi)
    Right=DirectShowSource({path}\my_right_video.avi)
    StackHorizontal(Left,Right)
    'optional: HorizontalReduceBy2()
    or use StereoMoviePlayer, or Stereoscopic Player. (They work fine, you just might not be loading them correctly)

Scott

EDIT: Whoops, skipped over the cross-eyed part...

That would make the code:
    Code:
    Left=DirectShowSource({path}\my_left_video.avi)
    Right=DirectShowSource({path}\my_right_video.avi)
    StackHorizontal(Right,Left)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IMPORTANT: If your videos don't have the EXACT same time of start and duration, they won't work AT ALL with a 3D effect that you'd want.

You must first load each up on an editor/NLE and trim so they DO have the exact same start time and duration. THEN load them into your stereo player setup...

Scott

Note: one of the things that separates the Pros from the Amateurs in 3D is Sync. Start using a clapstick/marker to clearly designate (both audibly & visibly) a start and end point, And look into remotes that can operate both cams, like possibly the SteFraLanc. I'm sure that consumer cams such as yours would NOT have the facility for such pro sync features as genlock...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys!, i'm not too clever with code, infact i'm borderline useless, so that's out the question. It looks like Stereoscopic Player isn't freeware, and as for StereoMoviePlayer, that's the one i have but everytime i try to load (using the "open folder" option) it will only let me open 1 file, i cannot even use ctrl on the keyboard and select both files, so i'm not sure where i'm going wrong there !

Yeah i know about having to have both video files start at the very same frame, but i was hoping some software program could handle that from within the software itself. Example, play the left hand video and set a marker (hand clap or something), then play the right hand video and mark it at the very same hand clap. Now the software knows the starting marker it would play from that marker, if you see what i mean. Save me cutting/clipping videos in another program.

Thanks
    Andy
    Quote Quote  
  5. Actually, i've just figured out how to get both files into StereoMoviePlayer, however everytime i do it it crashes in Windows 7 !!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	error.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	10611
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Stereoscopic player will work as a free app, with restrictions (<5min, watermark), but the paid version is WORTH IT.

Stereo Movie Player: [ File | Open L/R Movies(W)] and pick your Left movie. Then pick your Right movie (be sure to pick which has the audio). Note: you'll get errors if you don't have the right codecs installed (and it's best not to run from a network server with this app).

No. You have to edit 1st. No existing (regular/consumer) app that I know of has that capability. Possibly some $$$$ Pro sports/scientific video analysis apps. You'd be much better off editing anyway...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just saw your last post - SMP is NOT compatible with Windows 7.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Scott,

AAAArgghh !. Oh that's a shame !.

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your W7 is professional or better you can get a virtual XP for it. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's Win 7 Home Premium unfortunately !

Andy
    Quote Quote