VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to get video from a Canon HV20 into Final Cut Pro7.
    I get this message when I open Log and Capture:
    Unable to Initialize Capture Device
    and after okaying, in the Log and Capture window: No Communication

Easy Setup settings:
    Format: HDV
    Rate: 29.97 fps
    Use: HDV - 1080p30 Basic

I put the Canon in Play mode. It is set to SP for rec mode, audio 16bit, TV type 16:9,comp.out 1080i, DV output HDV/DV.
    I've tried two Firewire cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the record mode settings you list are for DV, are you sure the tape was recorded in HDV?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. When I go into the menu on the camera, it is set for DV rec mode sp; TV type 16:9. It also says DV output: HDV/DV. I'm guessing that indicates DV, but I'm not sure of anything. The tape plays with those settings.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edurbrow View Post
    When I go into the menu on the camera, it is set for DV rec mode sp; TV type 16:9. It also says DV output: HDV/DV. I'm guessing that indicates DV, but I'm not sure of anything. The tape plays with those settings.
    Thank you.
    Are you saying you recorded in DV mode? If so you can only transfer in DV mode.

If you shot HDV, you can transfer as HDV (TFF) or DV (BFF) downsized in hardware.

The Canon HV20 does not have a 1080p30 recording mode. It normally records 1440x1080i @29.97 or 1440x1080p @23.976 PF. It can be set to record DV 720x480i @29.97 (4:3 or 16:9).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh, thank you for this information.
    I don't know how to know whether this is DV or HDV. I looked through the manual but couldn't find it. But if I knew the correct settings in FCP for both, I could try them. So 1080p30 is wrong. That is a big help. If it normally records 1440x1080i @29.9, I'll try those settings and see what I get. Like I mentioned, I had this working at a time in the past and I haven't knowingly changed any settings on the camera. I may have changed settings in FCP as I usually record with a Sanyo Xacti HD1010. This time I recorded with both cameras.
    Thanks again. I'll report back.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In Easy Setup, if I choose HDV, there are only four choices for Use:
    HDV - 1080i60
    HDV - 1080i60 FireWire Basic
    HDV - 1080p30 FireWire Basic
    HDV - 720p30
    For Rate, I chose 29.97 fps

On the camera I did find Playback STD was set to A Auto. I changed it to HDV. The tape plays as before, so I assume it has been in HDV mode all along. So I think it is down to my settings in FCP. There are just so many possible settings it is overwhelming: DVCPRO, DV50, DV... each with many varieties. I've tried Firewire NTSC Basic, FireWire Capture and others. I don't know the meaning of 1080p and 1080i but in the Canon manual it says 1080i. I could not find any setting anywhere in FCP that read 1440x1080i. Also, do I have to disconnect the cable, close Log and Capture then reopen it each time I try a new setting?
    One other thing. I'm using a cable that is for a HD and it definitely works for the HD. I tried another cable too, which possibly came with the camera but it is quite a bit longer.
    If anyone has a Canon HD20 that they are using with FCP7, I'd be interested to know what your settings are.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, I found 'i' means interlaced and 'p' means progressive-scan. The HV20 uses 1080i.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edurbrow View Post
    Okay, I found 'i' means interlaced and 'p' means progressive-scan. The HV20 uses 1080i.
    Yes and ...

1080i60 (newspeak) is the same thing as 1440x1080i @29.97 and sometimes called 30i.
    1080p30 (newspeak) is the same thing as 1440x1080p @29.97

It should be easy to tell if you shot 720x480i DV just by looking at the picture.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote